Implements for hunting rabbit in MA?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
hey guys,

i did a little searching and it looks like rifles under 22 caliber and pistols under 38 caliber are ok for rabbit in MA?
is this so?
i couldn't get exact details other than this

Hunting of Cottontail Snowshoe Hare, & Jackrabbit | MassWildlife

i figured i could call the mass wildlife office to check it out, but why not start another thread on NES first eh?

thanks guys! happy hunting

Not to be a PITA, but you need to read it more carefully; the caliber restrictions are time-dependent, and shotguns are legal, too. Also, where (see the stocked WMA part) is an issue.

Also, that's 5 years out of date - get the CURRENT Abstracts, and check them out.

i'm aware of the WMA restrictions and time restrictions also.
i read it thoroughly
just wondering if anyone could comment on changes to what was in that link or additional information pertaining to zones or anything.

i didn't see much detail on rabbit hunting in abstracts

Pretty simple actually. rifles and shotguns permitted in zones 1-9 and the season for squirrel opens on the 9th of sep and cottontail opens 19 oct. Zones 10-14 is shotgun only and opens up OCT 19 for both cottontail and squirrel.

Personally I plan to take my out for squirrel next week in zone 9.....with his .22 henry.

Sad to hear no more .22 for rabbit here in zone 11. Used to use .22 all the time. So I guess my pellet rifle here in the yard is a no-no too. Have dozens of rabbits in my yard alone.

Sad to hear no more .22 for rabbit here in zone 11. Used to use .22 all the time. So I guess my pellet rifle here in the yard is a no-no too. Have dozens of rabbits in my yard alone.

I'll loan you my 20G if you let me swing by for an aftenoon to get my daily limit! :)

Hey thanks for the offer but I have a real nice Rem 1100 3" .410! Can't shoot with a gun as my neighbors are too close. They don't mind the pellet gun though. I have a LEO that lives behind and to the right of my property who would know that the houses are too close to shoot too. I can go off behind my house to the right though into the woods.

hey guys,

i did a little searching and it looks like rifles under 22 caliber and pistols under 38 caliber are ok for rabbit in MA?
is this so?
i couldn't get exact details other than this

Hunting of Cottontail Snowshoe Hare, & Jackrabbit | MassWildlife

i figured i could call the mass wildlife office to check it out, but why not start another thread on NES first eh?

thanks guys! happy hunting

12ga 7/8oz #4 lead shot and IC barrel is the ideal combo for NE cottontail IMNSHO.

Just spoke with mass wildlife.
Rifle and pistols are fine state wide for rabbits.

With same WMA restriction that squirrel would have.

I imagine this is due to shots on the ground vs shots in trees and the associated dangers that come from shooting rifles and pistols into the sky.

Happy hunting

Isn't it Duck Season

bg2o86.jpg

Back
Top Bottom