• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In Case You Ever Get a Boresnake Stuck...

Mountain

NES Member
Yeah, yeah- everyone's going to say get a proper cleaning rod, blah blah. [laugh] Yes, I have several rods but sometimes I'll just give a bore a quick swipe if it's relatively clean. However, the #1 worst thing about Boresnakes is when they somehow get stuck in a bore. I think even the company who makes them pretty much says you are F-ed if one gets stuck and the end you are pulling breaks (like mine). I was going to make a quick trip to the range to check my zero on a Springfield 03A3, so I tried to give it a quick swipe and somehow the end of the snake had became bunched up and stuck HARD in the chamber and throat. Wouldn't budge despite my best efforts with hemostats, needle nose pliers, picks, and a cleaning rod. Damn...

Did some searching and saw folks had used a packing extractor, which worked like a charm for me. Palmetto 1100 packing extractor size F-0. Not long enough to reach all the way from the back but you can feed it in through the ejection port. I bet I had to pull with about 25-30 lbs of force and this little thing held tight to the Boresnake. Next day delivery to N Central Mass via you know who. Maybe the next size up will work and have a longer reach, but this was more than strong enough to do the job and will fit into tighter bores. Hope I never need it again. :D

41Sh7u5oZ2L._SY500_.jpg

Great tool to have in the box.

Thanks for posting.

That is a good tool.

I once used a long decking screw--but mostly got lucky.

Also--there are probably (repeat: probably) chemical solutions, solvents powerful enough to dissolve the snake (or at least render it to mush) but I don't know what the best one would be for sure.

Back
Top Bottom