• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In need of a safe, current Winchester died

So my "trusty" Winchester 24 gun safe with a La Gard electronic lock finally stopped responding to keypad inputs. Changed out the 9v with multiple good ones to the same result. It's also 9 years old (at least, Tractor Supply Black Friday 2011??). SO, now I'm in the market for a new (and bigger) safe with a mechanical lock. Also looking local, so Eastern Safe it pretty much where I'm looking. I've already looked at Bass Pro / Cabela's / ****'s /

I'm trying to decide between a Sportsman 40

and a Sportsman 25
(come on, we all know any one of us would go for the Sportsman 40)

And a dark horse candidate emerges

Easy there gunpowder, patience is a virtue my friend!
You do you, but I personally would exhaust all reasonable options before I break out the fire tools.
YMMV.
Call the experts, or at least call the mfg if possible, and see if they can help you somehow.

BTW there is probably a way to re pair (literally mean re pair not repair) a keypad, which if its "not responding" may be all you need. Lots of us have those.

Man, I know the odds are low, but it has to be remotely possible to cook off live ammunition in a safe by cutting into it. I know sparks don't come out of the other side of a cut until you break through, but a hole big enough to get your arm in and an ar-15 out has gotta make alot of burning metal.

And my safes are all weighted at the bottom with ammo. Lots of ammo.

For 200 extra I would get the Sportsman 40 if you're still buying. I have the 25 in deluxe model I got through I group buy here a few years ago. I've been happy with it but it fills up fast.

Man, I know the odds are low, but it has to be remotely possible to cook off live ammunition in a safe by cutting into it. I know sparks don't come out of the other side of a cut until you break through, but a hole big enough to get your arm in and an ar-15 out has gotta make alot of burning metal.

I have a separate (keyed) cabinet that is larger than the safe just for ammo and reloading components.

I did find out it's a La Gard 3710 keypad. Peeled off the keypad sticker and carefully peeled off the contact board to get to the mounting bolts. Model and serial number were underneath.

Well, I resolder the battery connector, and I have a measured 9 volts going into the board. At this point I'm out of ideas

Storing ammo in a safe isn’t a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom