• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In search for the perfect CCW. Now the Mod 642 With Laser grips.

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
And now a Mod 642 with Crimson Trace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my seemingly never-ending search for the "perfect" CCW, I've tried a Mod 640 Stainless .357. I thought it was a bit too heavy for pocket carry, which I prefer.

I got a 442, and liked it a lot, until I got nervous about the lock. While trying to find one without the lock, I found a nice Kahr PM9, which is hard to get in Massachusetts.

I found out the square back of the Kahr doesn't come out of the pocket of some of my clothes as easily as the standard frame of a Centennial style gun. I went back to carrying the 442 with Gold Dot +P ammo.

A day at the range, sweating and with my glasses fogging up, I thought it might be a good idea to try a J frame with a Laser. I bought a Mod 642 today with factory Crimson Trace 305 laser grips.

The gun is light, shoots well, fits my Mika and Milt Sparks holsters, but now I have a new problem.

The "stickiness" of the grips when I draw from the pocket. The Crimson Trace grips are just a tad bigger than the standard boot grips on my 442, but they are made of a soft material that clings to the inside of the pocket if my hand isn't completely around the grip when I draw the gun.

I'm afraid in a crisis situation, I may have a fouled draw with these grips. I still like the laser though, and want to work with it.

I guess what I am wondering is: Is there any way to "Harden" the rubber of the Crimson Trace grips to make the smoother and easier to pull out of a pocket?

Any of these guns work well with standard grips and a Tyler T, but I don't get the Laser with that setup.

What to do??

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Bill

It'll cost more, but CT makes a hard grip for J frames too. There is no on/off switch on them, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I have a set on an older flat latched Model 38, a CCW combo that I really like. They don't cling to fabric and hang the gun up in a pocket.

from what i've read and experienced rubber grips will always be a problem for pocket holsters

and concealability. they will always be grabbing something. I have a model 60 and a 642,

i bought a galco belt holster and both fit nicely. i also have a mika pocket holster,

but my trousers don't always accomodate a pocket holster.

I have a 442 w CT305, Uncle Mikes $15 holster. No problem drawing at all; chinos, jeans, you name it.
I don't get it? If your hand is on the grip, what rubber is contacting your pants preventing the draw?

I've got the 642 with the 405 laser grips. These grips are a tad smaller than the 305's, for concealment, and have a rubber backstrap to cushion the shots. Put that baby in a Mika pocket holster and it draws as slick as can be. I know you already have the Mika holster so I don't see that the draw is the problem but probably you're grips are just clinging to the fabric before you draw.

I have the small "hard" CT grip for my 340. (dimensionally identical to your gun)
The lack of an on off switch is a good thing in my mind.
It works great and is very small/light.

12 ozs of .357 magnum and a laser. A great pocket gun.

For me, the 640 is a better choice. It is easier to control recoil, the heavier weight makes it a softer shooting gun which means practice won't be an issue as I find it to be on lighter guns and the extra weight is not a problem with pocket carry. I often pocket carry two guns of that weight.

You are correct about the square shape of semi-autos impeding the draw from a pocket.

As far as grips, I find the rubber is MUCH more comfortable than the plastic CT grips especially for lightweight guns, but recoil is subjective--your experience may be different. I have no problem drawing from a pocket since the entire rubber grip is covered from by my hand.

You may be interested in my video and article on pocket carry which can be found at
http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/magazine_articles.html
http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/free_video_tips.html

DavidK, I might just put the CT Gips on the 640. I like it too. I think I'm finding that with my hand clenched fully on the grip, some of my pockets are too tight. It's a slightly different grip trying to hit the "ON" button on the CT grips as opposed to grabing my 640 with wood grips and a Tyler-T. I think it's another adjustment I might have to make in my clothing if I continue to use the CT grips. Not a big deal really, just another gradual adaptation. I think the rubber CT grips might even make practice with .357 rounds a bit more fun.

If you are going to pocket carry, you do need to find pants with pockets that work. Triple pleated or bellowed pockets work best for me. Also, you need to make sure the pocket opening is wide enough for both your gun and your hand

For me, the 640 is a better choice. It is easier to control recoil, the heavier weight makes it a softer shooting gun which means practice won't be an issue as I find it to be on lighter guns and the extra weight is not a problem with pocket carry. I often pocket carry two guns of that weight.

You are correct about the square shape of semi-autos impeding the draw from a pocket.

As far as grips, I find the rubber is MUCH more comfortable than the plastic CT grips especially for lightweight guns, but recoil is subjective--your experience may be different. I have no problem drawing from a pocket since the entire rubber grip is covered from by my hand.

You may be interested in my video and article on pocket carry which can be found at
http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/magazine_articles.html
http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/free_video_tips.html

This is the classic tradeoff. Do you want something that carries well or something that shoots well.
While I love my little aluminum/scandium/titanium J frame, it was not an easy gun to learn to shoot well. I usually load 38 spc +P rather than .357 mag and even then its pretty snappy.
With normal target rated .38 spcl, you can shoot a box or two with no discomfort. Even tiwh the short 2 finger CT hard plastic grip.

My Kahr PM9 is similarly shaped but is MUCH MUCH easier to shoot. Its a bit heavy for me for pocket carry, but it disappears when worn on the belt.

Attached is a pic of my "always with me" guns showing the relative size of the 340, Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP

DSC_4718.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom