• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In search of CNC files.

slap shot

NES Member
I have access to a CNC machine with an experienced operator. Does anyone have a pdf or stp file for an 80% AR15 lower?

thanks

Does anyone have a pdf or stp file for an 80% AR15 lower?
So you're looking for models to machine a billet blank into an 80%? Or go from 80% to 100%?

While I don't know where to get IGES or STEP files specifically for 80%, could just start with a 100% model and cut off the usual 20% of the machining operations (err on the side of caution, and leave the same 20% unfinished as mainstream vendors, this is not a place to be innovative without an ATF letter!)

Regarding the finishing operations, your machinist needs to take care to comply with ATF Ruling 2015-1

I have access to a CNC machine with an experienced operator.
Have you considered working with them to make other parts, ones which can be finished to 100% without (currently) running into ATF regulations?

Last edited:
What we need is a desktop machine that could start with 0% and get as close to 100%. You would probably have to do the threads manually

Find the Lego thread on this site. You can cast as many 100% lowers as you like for about ten cents each. They might only last 1000 rounds though, so cast a few dozen and move your parts kit from one to the next as needed.

Last I looked, the only 80% project on GrabCAD only had renderings, no models.

But yeah, plenty of 100% models to be found online. Caveat Emptor
They may have taken them down, I some in my archives, may take me a bit to find them. Let me know if you would like them, I can look later. I save evrything just need to go thru a couple backup drives.

So you're looking for models to machine a billet blank into an 80%? Or go from 80% to 100%?

While I don't know where to get IGES or STEP files specifically for 80%, could just start with a 100% model and cut off the usual 20% of the machining operations (err on the side of caution, and leave the same 20% unfinished as mainstream vendors, this is not a place to be innovative without an ATF letter!)

Regarding the finishing operations, your machinist needs to take care to comply with ATF Ruling 2015-1

Have you considered working with them to make other parts, ones which can be finished to 100% without (currently) running into ATF regulations?
interesting, never looked at the ATF ruling before and i do have a small mill where i've finished a few already. planning to go 80 to 100, might have to buy the CNC then sell it back, if he even figures it out. At the least, the guy wants to do a couple he already bought, so he should be fine legally.

thanks

I posted sites where you can get models
If you want an 80% then import the step files and add material to get from a 100% down to 80%. Then use the 80% you created as your material in CAM

I posted sites where you can get models
If you want an 80% then import the step files and add material to get from a 100% down to 80%. Then use the 80% you created as your material in CAM
Thanks. I sent them on and waiting to hear back. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom