• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In the doghouse/ Christmas ruined/ AR build

Lol, this thread glad to see it is still alive.

Thanksgiving is going to be unbearable. I will no doubt be the 'Pro Trump' wing of the family despite the fact I supported Johnson. [hmmm]

Lol, this thread glad to see it is still alive.

Thanksgiving is going to be unbearable. I will no doubt be the 'Pro Trump' wing of the family despite the fact I supported Johnson. [hmmm]

hopefully that wing doesn't have the toilet in it haha

This Turkey day we won't be eating turkey but rather ribeyes, grass fed. And it will be just me and my husband and our son as we are not traveling "home" and no one is coming to visit. We will likely take in a couple of movies at a local theater and just spend as much time with our son as possible as he has informed us he is saving up his money so he can move back to NH, probably end of January. [crying]

Love it! Might have to steal that one.

all citizens should be thankful we live in this Republic; more so since the results of the last election came in. It's appropriate to show that in toast.

I ate dinner with like minded friends last Sunday, and we opened a bottle of Champagne to celebrate this very fact.

Family friends are having a large thanksgiving gathering but almost everyone that will be there voted for Trump. With any luck I'll find at least one liberal so I can have some fun.

Most of my family voted Trump, if they voted. I know a couple of them didn't. They also know by doing that, they lose the right to bitch about the outcome. Though we don't get together for Thanksgiving, we do for Christmas. We don't usually discuss politics, but it would be boring anyways. We're pretty much all gun owners, even my granddaughters.

What does their religion have to do with anything? What, no Christians or atheists voted for Hillary or Bernie?

I don't know, but I do know this atheist voted Trump.

I doubt very much any of my family voted for anyone other than Clinton except maybe my uncle. I don't remember if my brother abstained in the presidential election (he did vote) or voted for Johnson, my sister is not a huge Hillary fan, but she is a butt-hurt Hillary supporter at this point. Her BF voted for Johnson I think, or that's what he's telling me.

My parents voted for and liked HRC, but they aren't like my fellow students and don't think the sky will fall. Haven't talked to my moms mother about it yet. My dads parents voted for Hillary, but his father is very capable of having a not emotionally charged political convo (he is a career journalist, with crazy stories to include meeting Castro in Cuba).

I think Trump is just as dangerous for our freedoms as HRC, but he's good for guns so there's that. His victory is being spun into a white-nationalist thing now, and while we have some of our very own Nazi scum here on NES, that is unfortunate. My guess is this will be the flashpoint of the convos.

Mike

Last edited:
Just let your outfit be the conversation starter :p

il_570xN.1074073836_di9q.jpg

A little back story...My wife is indifferent about guns, although lately she has shown some interest in giving it a try, and with ZERO pressure from myself. Her father on the other hand in very against guns. He sort of understands keeping one for home protection but only in the worst of neighborhoods. He doesn't understand carrying. Doesn't understand why you need more than one gun, etc. After Sandy Hook we got into a discussion where he learned that I have guns, and our relationship hasn't been the same. Up until then we got along based on a mutual interest for music and other things.

So today, I'm working on a new build with everything spread out on the coffee table. My wife texted me that he was coming by to drop off a pan, only I didn't have my phone by me. So, he knocks at the door and I let him in. He sees the table of parts....

him- "ummmm, what's going on here?"
me- "I'm building a rifle"
him- "looks more like a machine gun"
me- "no"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "ahhhh, yes"

this line of q&a goes on or a while. Then this happens.

him- "so if I call the cops right now, they're not going to have a problem with this?"
me- "first, I won't let them through the ****ing door. Second, if you call the cops on me for doing nothing wrong in my own home, this is the last time you step foot in this house".

*yelling and screaming on his part, more q&a, nothing calm or rational*

him- "well I don't feel comfortable with this being in the house that my daughter lives in"

*here's where I hit below the belt...*

me- "well maybe if you were in her life while growing up, then I'd give a **** what you think.

He storms out. About 20 minutes ago I get a call from my wife. Apparently I ruined Christmas and "intimidated" her dad. Ho ho ho! So how was your morning?

Bravo.

I doubt very much any of my family voted for anyone other than Clinton except maybe my uncle. I don't remember if my brother abstained in the presidential election (he did vote) or voted for Johnson, my sister is not a huge Hillary fan, but she is a butt-hurt Hillary supporter at this point. Her BF voted for Johnson I think, or that's what he's telling me.

My parents voted for and liked HRC, but they aren't like my fellow students and don't think the sky will fall. Haven't talked to my moms mother about it yet. My dads parents voted for Hillary, but his father is very capable of having a not emotionally charged political convo (he is a career journalist, with crazy stories to include meeting Castro in Cuba).

I think Trump is just as dangerous for our freedoms as HRC, but he's good for guns so there's that. His victory is being spun into a white-nationalist thing now, and while we have some of our very own Nazi scum here on NES, that is unfortunate. My guess is this will be the flashpoint of the convos.

Mike

Still really not sure why it is being labeled as 'White' Nationalist from a factual standpoint, but with the left wanting to inject race into every ****ing thing, I guess it makes sense.

They do this and then wonder why we are sooooo divided? Then after 8 years of incessant race baiting, they blame the guy that never said a racist thing in his life and only stepped onto the scene 17 months ago.

I'm looking forward to some morning shooting then dinner and football with just the wife, my redneck brother, and two dogs (who also voted for trump).

Know this is an old thread but I understand the OP's frustration. Most of my friends aren't into guns but all of them know I am. The majority don't care, some have become interested, others have grown cold towards me. People come from different backgrounds and lack of exposure to firearms can really scare someone whose never been around one.

I think the dad was out of line but my policy is to avoid causing tension between the girl I'm with and her family, friends, etc. I think the "you weren't in her life" comment was not the best decision. Let her hash it out with her own dad, she'll put him in his place. Take the high road even when he's being a little b*tch and she'll appreciate it more then you know.

People are brainwashed by the media so I always give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if any tension will arise from an unnecessary argument. I had a "friend" even tell me that if I ever carried when he was out with us and he found out, he'd never come with our group again. Ok bro, first its called concealed for a reason, you'll never know if I have it on. Second, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

I will madly be toasting you with my "Nuke Nog" this year.

"Nuke Nog" you might ask? It is my infamous eggnog I created in college... All top end booze (like if I had to buy all new bottles about $800 worth of booze) and about a 6:1 ratio of booze to eggnog.

The reason I named it Nuke Nog, is you cannot taste the alcohol, so people pound it and a half hour later it catches up with them and they are Nagasakied.

And dating myself here... but this story sounds like the old Williams / Matthieu movie "The Survivors"

A little back story...My wife is indifferent about guns, although lately she has shown some interest in giving it a try, and with ZERO pressure from myself. Her father on the other hand in very against guns. He sort of understands keeping one for home protection but only in the worst of neighborhoods. He doesn't understand carrying. Doesn't understand why you need more than one gun, etc. After Sandy Hook we got into a discussion where he learned that I have guns, and our relationship hasn't been the same. Up until then we got along based on a mutual interest for music and other things.

So today, I'm working on a new build with everything spread out on the coffee table. My wife texted me that he was coming by to drop off a pan, only I didn't have my phone by me. So, he knocks at the door and I let him in. He sees the table of parts....

him- "ummmm, what's going on here?"
me- "I'm building a rifle"
him- "looks more like a machine gun"
me- "no"
him- "is this legal?"
me- "ahhhh, yes"

this line of q&a goes on or a while. Then this happens.

him- "so if I call the cops right now, they're not going to have a problem with this?"
me- "first, I won't let them through the ****ing door. Second, if you call the cops on me for doing nothing wrong in my own home, this is the last time you step foot in this house".

*yelling and screaming on his part, more q&a, nothing calm or rational*

him- "well I don't feel comfortable with this being in the house that my daughter lives in"

*here's where I hit below the belt...*

me- "well maybe if you were in her life while growing up, then I'd give a **** what you think.

He storms out. About 20 minutes ago I get a call from my wife. Apparently I ruined Christmas and "intimidated" her dad. Ho ho ho! So how was your morning?

I believe that everyone reacts to things different.
Given I wasn't there and I can't imagine how much of a dick he was im not sure id go that far. Some people just don't get it. I typically try to either reason with people or completely erase them from my life. you held your ground though. Merry Xmas this year

Family friends are having a large thanksgiving gathering but almost everyone that will be there voted for Trump. With any luck I'll find at least one liberal so I can have some fun.

What does their religion have to do with anything? What, no Christians or atheists voted for Hillary or Bernie?
The vast majority of Jews and most practicing Catholics vote for Dems because they think they are more sympathetic to the poor. It really came back to bite them in the ass w/Barry O. since he hates Bibi and Israel and Barry went after Catholics w/his Obamacare decree.

The vast majority of Jews and most practicing Catholics vote for Dems because they think they are more sympathetic to the poor. It really came back to bite them in the ass w/Barry O. since he hates Bibi and Israel and Barry went after Catholics w/his Obamacare decree.
Correlation is not causation. For some reason it wasn't enough for you to talk about Democrats, which was the point of your story, and you chose to specify that they're Jewish Democrats. Seems to me like their religion adds nothing to the story.

Correlation is not causation. For some reason it wasn't enough for you to talk about Democrats, which was the point of your story, and you chose to specify that they're Jewish Democrats. Seems to me like their religion adds nothing to the story.
It sure does because these are specific groups/religions/voting blocks that vote almost lockstep Dumocrat and I love to rub their noses in it to show them that their overseers hate them. Did you read the wikileaks emails that showed how condescending Podesta and the Clintonista's were to Catholics and Evangelicals? This isn't about religion, it's about flipping voting blocks to our side.

Still really not sure why it is being labeled as 'White' Nationalist from a factual standpoint, but with the left wanting to inject race into every ****ing thing, I guess it makes sense.

They do this and then wonder why we are sooooo divided? Then after 8 years of incessant race baiting, they blame the guy that never said a racist thing in his life and only stepped onto the scene 17 months ago.

"White nationalist" is just the left's latest attempt at using race to destroy the Republic.

When you've got a whole bunch of people who are citizens - who would like the Republic to stay as close to the Republic that the founders intended - and then you've got a whole bunch of people doing exactly what Benjamin Franklin warned would happen (raiding the treasury) - and supporting outright Communism, what else would it be but "white nationalism" ??

I see that whole "white nationalism" popping up all over the place in the MSM - and even some of the alt-right stuff I read.

People need to wake the hell up and stay on top of this shit.

Robbing other people to assuage your guilt by giving money to the "poor" - is not charity.

Religion has become a whored-out cesspool of liberalism along with just about everything else in our society

It sure does because these are specific groups/religions/voting blocks that vote almost lockstep Dumocrat and I love to rub their noses in it to show them that their overseers hate them. Did you read the wikileaks emails that showed how condescending Podesta and the Clintonista's were to Catholics and Evangelicals? This isn't about religion, it's about flipping voting blocks to our side.
I'd rather see this country united, not divided. Were these Jewish Democrats white? Males or females? How many of each? Ashkenazi or Sephardic? What generation Americans? I mean, since you're dividing people into "voting blocs" by demographics, might as well go all the way, no?

Identity politics and insulting people really didn't work out too well this time around.

I, for one, hope they keep it up for a while before dropping it.

Why is simple, because if they don't figure it out in the next month, they won't have time to fix things in time for the mid-term election. And, if they try running on the same issues then, they'll simply lose more ground. 23 Democrat Senators are up for reelection, versus 8 Republicans and 2 Independents. Seeing those 2 Independents lean left, say 25 to 8 odds. I'd think the Democrats would have a much harder time picking up the 2-3 seats they need for a majority in the Senate than meets the eye. To gain 2, they would need to win 2 of 8 races, while retaining they other 25. For every one of the 25 they lost, they would need to add 1 of the 8. So, once they lost 7 of the 25, they could win all 8 of the sitting R's, and still not take the Senate.

So, not likely they'll see the Senate soon, without some major changes, like completely overhauling the DNC with new people and new ideas. That will take a while.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see an election cycle come around where it's hard to choose because they're BOTH so good. Frankly, if that happened, about 99.9% chance I vote 3rd party, as there is no losing proposition. Better than '92 and '96, when I went 3rd party because they both sucked so bad, just not bad and worse (2016). Yeah, I'm hoping Trump pans out. So far, so good.

- - - Updated - - -

As to the OP, had that been my family, the statement they would've likely made is "Cool, can you build me one?"

Back
Top Bottom