• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In the process of trading in my .357 for...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
There's a season for everything, and since my heart attack, I've decided the season is over for large guns and large calibers. I still have my 1911, but it will sit in the safe for now. Otherwise 9mm is my most potent round now.

Anyway I traded my S/W M66 for a 1912 Colt Police Positive Special, late of the Westchester Co., NY, Sherriff's office, and holster (yes I'm a lefty). I've had a 1914 and 1916 earlier; the 1914 was the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. Should have it by the end of the week.

t

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.04.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.04.51 PM.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.05.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.05.27 PM.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.05.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.05.48 PM.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.06.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 3.06.11 PM.png
    292.3 KB · Views: 88
That's really cool. I like the way they used the same P on the barrel for Police and Positive. Definitely looks the part. I have my first DA revolver on the way, too, but not a Colt.

I already miss my Colt DA .45, but that revolver was just a massive specimen. Now that I have a Beretta .380, I might let the 1915 Colt .380 go. I guess its what you're comfortable with. Nearly 30 years ago I was trained with and carried a revolver for the Feds; the 4-inch M66 S/W. For whatever reason, I never fully trusted automatic pistols.

t

Last edited:
I already miss my Colt DA .45, but that revolver was just a massive specimen. Now that I have a Beretta .380, I might let the 1915 Colt .380 go. I guess its what you're comfortable with. Nearly 30 years ago I was trained with and carried a revolver for the Feds; the 4-inch M66 S/W. For whatever reason, I never fully trusted automatic pistols.

t
I'm going in reverse. I didn't own a revolver until this month, now I have a second on the way.
Reading through a different thread I was pretty astounded at how many people said their nightstand gun is a revolver of some sort. Even those that carried semi autos. I've only carried semis, but if I were going for a woods walk and feared large critters I'd consider bringing my SAA clone simply because the 357 is the most potent chambering I have.

Revolvers are also a smart choice for those with dexterity/strength issues that might have trouble racking a slide.

I ordered a speed loader for my incoming revolver just to try it out.

Nearly 30 years ago I was trained with and carried a revolver for the Feds; the 4-inch M66 S/W. For whatever reason, I never fully trusted automatic pistols.

t
Here's some good training from the 60s...

Can't say I see this shooting stance very often...
upload_2019-1-29_22-54-43.png

Some of the comments were saying that the sights at that time were very poor and thus at close distance they were not as beneficial as much as speed gained from point shooting. I've never used a revolver of that era so I can't vouch for it. At 10+ yards though, they reference using the sights. Whenever I can get to my NH range I'll practice this draw in the action pits and see how it goes. Need speedloader practice anyway.

The crouching/making yourself a smaller target is interesting. I remember reading lots of debate over Weaver/isosceles stance and how Weaver nominally makes you a smaller target since you're kind of angled, but now with kevlar/plates isosceles is supposedly better for LEOs since the shot would hit them more squarely and allegedly offer better protection. Since I'm obviously not wearing either, smaller target area is probably better.

Jeez heart attack? Glad to see you're still here with us! I suppose that would explain where I saw you mention somewhere about "dead guy posting" or something.
Take it easy T!

Back
Top Bottom