• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

In your world is there any such thing as too cold to shoot???

I've personally shot in weather that was below freezing, took a training class with over a foot of snow on the range where part of the training was prone and have gone so far as to shoot in a snowstorm. You know what I like best about shooting in the cold? Nobody is ever at the range. I typically have the place to myself. Maybe it'll change when I get older, but for now I love shooting in cold weather. Extra bonus when shooting in the snow. Though when shooting at longer distances I can definitely see a POI difference over warm weather shooting. Come on snow!!!

Yes, I'm wearing gloves. It was 11 degrees that day.

chZXp50.jpg
i`ve done 2 hunts when it was close to -40deg. Celsius and Fahrenheit evens up at that mark. :)
it is not a greatest of experiences, but, you would remember for life how the pure 99% alcohol heats you up from a single sip. :)

I shoot all winter long. So whatever it goes down to is what I shoot at. Freezing isn't that cold. Its fun to see what works and what doesn't when it gets extremely cold. You find out a lot about your gear.

January at Ft. Drum at the range for qual, you have to pack Ruck with sleep system in case a storm blows in. We had a crosswind with flurries so we couldn't see beyond 100 yds so we shot everything we could see.

I went though AIT 3rd Brigade Ft Dix in 12/65-2/66. All I remember in our run to the rifle range was a screaming DI's boot up my arse. I traced the problem to my issue of XXXL long-john bottoms and being 5'6' and 130 lbs. When the gear goes to the ankles, things went South.
Effing loved Indo-China

I have a long standing issue where my fingers can get painful and sluggish and lose feeling when cold. So I have to be careful to keep my hands warm when shooting in extremely cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom