• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Independence Day 2023

Fourth of July in Hill City SD.

Fourth1881.JPG The 1891 equivalent of one-stop shopping, D. B. Ingram & C. E. McEachron put a multitude of services under one roof. They were purveyors of Groceries, Flour, Feed, Dry Goods, Boots & Saddles, Furniture and what must have been some customers' last purchase, Undertaking.

It appears that other, more personal services were negotiable upstairs. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! The trees decorated Main Street for a traditional July 4th celebration in the 1890's.

I have been in the U.S for 22 years. I can't remember of a 4th of July that rained in MA.
I remember several. It gets confusing because the day moves around on the calendar unlike the hallmark holidays or Thanksgiving

You ain't kidding. I was going to start a thread on Paul Harvey but after searching found this and figured here is good enough. No need for another thread. A warning from 1965....

My mom just texted this to me. Never saw this thread or heard this commentary before. Thought I would revive it. Freakin wild!

Back
Top Bottom