• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Indoor Residential Range

Thankx for all your suggestions

After thinking it through and all of your suggestions, I think its not a good Idea. and BTW...The one (and only) factor was lead, not legal stuff...oh, and maybe the dogs getting upset. [smile] AND I already have an outside range...It's awesome...But it's cold right now, That's why this topic came up.

I would be sure of the defenition of "underground". My basement has ground level windows. I would anticipate MA could argue that I'm not underground unless the ceiling is below ground level.

Having been a member of a gun club with essentially no air intake on the indoor range, even when I was the only person there shooting (16 lane 25 yd range), I ended up with a noseful of black crud after every shooting session. Eventually I smartened up and stopped shooting indoors altogether and later joined another club (BR&P) and quit the dysfunctional club. I can't even imagine how bad the air quality would be in a 1-2 lane DYI cellar range . . . for your own health and safety, never mind laws/regulations issues.

Just not a good idea at all unless you have a spare $50K or so to install a HEPA filtering system.

Having been a member of a gun club with essentially no air intake on the indoor range, even when I was the only person there shooting (16 lane 25 yd range), I ended up with a noseful of black crud after every shooting session. Eventually I smartened up and stopped shooting indoors altogether and later joined another club (BR&P) and quit the dysfunctional club. I can't even imagine how bad the air quality would be in a 1-2 lane DYI cellar range . . . for your own health and safety, never mind laws/regulations issues.

Just not a good idea at all unless you have a spare $50K or so to install a HEPA filtering system.

I agree, for the cost to setup your own personal range (properly) with proper ventilation and dealing with lead issues. You could get yourself a lifetime membership to the gun club of your choice. Maybe not as convenient as walking into your basement in your jammies, but certainly a hell of a lot less trouble.

Thankx for all your suggestions

After thinking it through and all of your suggestions, I think its not a good Idea. and BTW...The one (and only) factor was lead, not legal stuff...oh, and maybe the dogs getting upset. [smile] AND I already have an outside range...It's awesome...But it's cold right now, That's why this topic came up.

Just build an outdoor shed/warmup hut and with a wood burning stove or propane heater and shoot out of that.

Back
Top Bottom