• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Inherited 2, Remington 20 gauge shotguns.

blindndead

NES Member
Seeing that the old timer was a bird hunter and the old lady will not go near a 12 gauge plus I don't think I need another hobby of hunting birds. I was thinking of modifying one. Thinking of taking off the crazy long barrel and replacing it with a shorty, Legal is what 18.5? correct me if i'm wrong. throwing a sling on with some 20 gauge defense ammo. Yes, i'm sure you would rather use 12 gauge for home defense but it was free and I'd figure why let it go to waste and collect dust?
Working on a project like this don't seem that hard does anyone else have a 20 gauge project? would love some ideas.

Sell it and buy a 12 gauge if you want a HD setup, less expensive, more options and more bang!

Sell it and buy a 12 gauge if you want a HD setup, less expensive, more options and more bang!
The shotguns are my wife's/grandfathers firearms I would not ask her to sell off her grandfathers stuff just out of respect to an old NAVY man, but she has no problem with me toying around with them.

The shotguns are my wife's/grandfathers firearms I would not ask her to sell off her grandfathers stuff just out of respect to an old NAVY man, but she has no problem with me toying around with them.

Fair enough. Sorry, should have read the OP closer. What model is it? If mossberg / Remington there will no doubt be a lot of aftermarket options. You should consider keeping a longer barrel than 18.5 and get a mag tube extension - 10 rounds of 20ga is better than 4 :) plus with less recoil. I am not sold on the shorter barrel being enough of an advantage to give up the extra rounds.

Fair enough. Sorry, should have read the OP closer. What model is it? If mossberg / Remington there will no doubt be a lot of aftermarket options. You should consider keeping a longer barrel than 18.5 and get a mag tube extension - 10 rounds of 20ga is better than 4 :) plus with less recoil. I am not sold on the shorter barrel being enough of an advantage to give up the extra rounds.

Remington magnum 870. Solid advise, Didn't think of that off to some video homework.

Seeing that the old timer was a bird hunter and the old lady will not go near a 12 gauge plus I don't think I need another hobby of hunting birds. I was thinking of modifying one. Thinking of taking off the crazy long barrel and replacing it with a shorty, Legal is what 18.5? correct me if i'm wrong. throwing a sling on with some 20 gauge defense ammo. Yes, i'm sure you would rather use 12 gauge for home defense but it was free and I'd figure why let it go to waste and collect dust?
Working on a project like this don't seem that hard does anyone else have a 20 gauge project? would love some ideas.

my home defense shotgun is a 20g youth model with mag extension with 1oz slugs/buckshot. short enough for "easy" handling and still efective as a club.

curious to know what models and years of production?

my home defense shotgun is a 20g youth model with mag extension with 1oz slugs/buckshot. short enough for "easy" handling and still efective as a club.

curious to know what models and years of production?

without digging them out I know one is an Remington magnum 870 might be early 90s and the other one may be 80's perhaps?

without digging them out I know one is an Remington magnum 870 might be early 90s and the other one may be 80's perhaps?

Cool ..... thought you might have the old school 20 gauge that's built on a smaller frame...
Over all good guns IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom