Inherited Gun Question

So I would like a clear answer on what I need to do. I recently inherited my great grandfathers pistol. Apparently it was lock inside a box I had to pry open that was hidden away in my grandmothers house. Shes 97 years old and didn't even remember it being there. Seeing as she never took ownership of it because the last time it was touched was probably before any LTC requirements existed. Should I just register it on-line through the MA website or do I need to bring to an FFL and have them do it? Or what?

In "the old days" there was a check box on the FA10 paper form for "registration" or something like that. That's what you'd use for any out of state long gun purchases, any C&R purchases, home builds, or inheritances.

I believe there's a clicky-box on the eFA10 (or whatever the current portal is called). Use that. That's all you need.

If YOU legitimately INHERITED it (left to you in a Will), then just go to the eFA-10 website and choose REGISTRATION. Do NOT put any info on the first screen (asks where you got it) and just fill in info about the gun and you.

From what you posted, it honestly does NOT sound like LEGAL inheritance. It sounds like your Grandmother doesn't want it and said "here you take it" . . . sadly that isn't a legal transfer in MA and isn't a legal "inheritance" anywhere in the US! If this is the case, take the gun and Grandmother to any FFL and have them do a legal transfer. ASK first as many won't do it if it is not on the EOPS List and that is likely the fact with an "old" gun. Some will do it, taking your word for the age and fact it was in MA prior to 10/21/1998 (exempt from EOPS List).

Back
Top Bottom