Inherited guns coming into Mass

"These guns? Ive been borrowing them from my uncle for a few years now,.. He passed away a while ago but I still consider them his"- A buddy from Maine

Last edited:
Pretty sure @Len-2A Training has said that the inheritance link is not right.
Worse than that. If you try to use inheritance, you will find that you will NOT be able to "inherit" the guns.

MGL allows you to inherit guns from anywhere, but the FRB in their <lack of> wisdom created a form that will not allow you to fill it out if the deceased didn't have an active MA LTC at the time of death. NOTHING in MGL supports that assertion. It also demands too much personal info that is not required by MGL.

Just use Registration, skipping the part that asks where you got the gun.

Sorry for your loss.

Don't need any info on WHERE/WHO you got the guns from on a "Registration".

Registration is for the following types of usage (not intended to be inclusive):

- Inheritance,
- Obtained on C&R FFL from out-of-state source,
- Brought into MA by person who moves guns into MA AFTER they officially moved in/became a legal MA Resident,
- Brought into MA from your 2nd home in another state,
- Bought in-state from someone on your C&R FFL where other party didn't do an FA-10 with you,
- etc.
Rather than make a new thread, I thought I'd use this one since I think the answer I need is bolded in the quote above.

Situation: I used to live in Free State, owned a MA AG "approved" handgun in Free State. Move to MA, leave gun w/ friend in Free State until I get my LTC in MA. I acquire my LTC, and the hand gun is now with me in MA.

I simply register it within 7 days of it entering MA and I'm good?

Rather than make a new thread, I thought I'd use this one since I think the answer I need is bolded in the quote above.

Situation: I used to live in Free State, owned a MA AG "approved" handgun in Free State. Move to MA, leave gun w/ friend in Free State until I get my LTC in MA. I acquire my LTC, and the hand gun is now with me in MA.

I simply register it within 7 days of it entering MA and I'm good?
Yes.

So my search led me to this old thread.
I’m inheriting from out of state (I’m in MA, deceased from RI). I know in need to FA-10 but…
With the updated EFA-10 there are now separate options to click for “Registration” or “Inheritance”.
Which one should be used for inherited firearms from a Rhode Island resident?
If I click on “inheritance” then it asks for the decedent’s FID or license number? Would you only use the “inheritance” option if both are MA license holders?
Hey Jay, I’m in the same boat but I’ll soon be inheriting two handguns from NY. I’m the personal representative & the guns aren’t specified in the Will. I’m looking at codicil requirements and if it’s a simple letter w a signature and maybe one witness I can get that, if it requires an addendum to the Will notarized & lawyer involved that isn’t happening.

I checked the MA portal & saw the same thing, it was asking for decedent’s LTC and that doesn’t exist for obvious reasons. Wondering what you found out.

I have an FFL in MA who will do a transfer (already verified models w FFL), the problem is I can’t legally possess in NY to transport them to get them shipped, which I’m not overly worried about except if there’s a snag at shipping carrier in which case I’m screwed. I could potentially get a licensed individual in NY to bring them to shopping carrier but not sure if in NY he could get jammed (he has LTC but technically he’d only be transporting in state). In NY they print your guns on your license or some such nonsense. Other option i to find an FFL in NY to ship to MA FFL although that might be difficult since they may not want to get involve w our roster issues even if compliant.

Hey Jay, I’m in the same boat but I’ll soon be inheriting two handguns from NY. I’m the personal representative & the guns aren’t specified in the Will. I’m looking at codicil requirements and if it’s a simple letter w a signature and maybe one witness I can get that, if it requires an addendum to the Will notarized & lawyer involved that isn’t happening.

I checked the MA portal & saw the same thing, it was asking for decedent’s LTC and that doesn’t exist for obvious reasons. Wondering what you found out.

I have an FFL in MA who will do a transfer (already verified models w FFL), the problem is I can’t legally possess in NY to transport them to get them shipped, which I’m not overly worried about except if there’s a snag at shipping carrier in which case I’m screwed. I could potentially get a licensed individual in NY to bring them to shopping carrier but not sure if in NY he could get jammed (he has LTC but technically he’d only be transporting in state). In NY they print your guns on your license or some such nonsense. Other option i to find an FFL in NY to ship to MA FFL although that might be difficult since they may not want to get involve w our roster issues even if compliant.
Len commented on this recently. See the bold section. Just need to get it into the Commonwealth.
Worse than that. If you try to use inheritance, you will find that you will NOT be able to "inherit" the guns.

MGL allows you to inherit guns from anywhere, but the FRB in their <lack of> wisdom created a form that will not allow you to fill it out if the deceased didn't have an active MA LTC at the time of death. NOTHING in MGL supports that assertion. It also demands too much personal info that is not required by MGL.

Just use Registration, skipping the part that asks where you got the gun.

Sorry for your loss.

About the FFL part.
I have bought firearms from people with expired LTCs and out of state with no LTCs in MA through a FFL and they were able to process it without the other persons LTC

If you are doing the thing on your own you could do it like you would do if you were building a frame and just leave the seller blank

If the guns touch a MA FFL, they can't be legally transferred if not on the roster and AG approved.

Inheritance does NOT require any FFLs. Although your message isn't clear on the status (guns don't have to be listed). @Buck F send me an Email or PM and we can sort thru the details.

The one thing I am NOT knowledgeable of is NY's BS wrt inheritance. I know MA and Fed law on the subject only. Looking at their inheritance law could be useful.

Back
Top Bottom