Inheriting a gun

So I just got my LTC. My cousin (local police officer) wants to sell me his Glock-27. But the it has 12rnd magazines. At a Gun store I visited (Cap Gun Works [definitely check them out]) they think that it IS legal for me to own a Handgun with more then 10rnds . Now my question is.....Is it legal for me, just a regular chap. To legally own a gun with more then 10rnds?

So I just got my LTC. My cousin (local police officer) wants to sell me his Glock-27. But the it has 12rnd magazines. At a Gun store I visited (Cap Gun Works [definitely check them out]) they think that it IS legal for me to own a Handgun with more then 10rnds . Now my question is.....Is it legal for me, just a regular chap. To legally own a gun with more then 10rnds?
Depends if the mags are pre-ban (made before September 1994). I'm going to assume since he's a cop that they're newer postban mags which means they're not legal for you to own. But this is just pure speculation on the age of the mags.

The gun itself is fine, the issue is the magazine. If you are not exempted by being a Law Enforcement Officer yourself (or some other "more equal than others" status), then the magazine must be pre-ban, manufactured prior to Sept. 1994. Otherwise, the mag gets you 1-10 years in the stockades.

Also just throwing it out there that a subcompact in .40 is, generally, not considered an ideal selection for a first (or nearly first) pistol.

That said, it's your "inheritance."

Like a Blantons on the rocks is wasted on a college kid so too is a Glock 27 wasted on a new gun owner. Stick to the stuff that goes down easy otherwise you’ll develop bad habits and throw up on yourself.

Though 40 ammo is easy to get and way cheaper than 9mm at the moment.

Tell him to keep the mags or get some pictures of them so we can see if they are pre-ban or not. I'm guessing they aren't. Factory standard Glock 27 mags aren't 12 rds unless they have an extension on them. The pistol is fine though, take the pistol from him and buy some standard length 9rd mags for it. If his mags are standard length with extensions, make him take the extensions off and put regular flat pase pads or pearce pinky extensions on them so they go back to being 9rd mags. If he is using G23 mags, get pics of them and see if they are pre-ban. There are lots of pre-ban g23/g22 mags out there because they were/are popular police duty pistols.

unless you are going to get that gun for less than 500 dollars, don't bother.

a sub-compact is not a good first gun, and you need a good first gun to LEARN with.

now that we have that out of the way, get new standard capacity magazines, they are cheap enough, transfer the gun on a EFA-10.

unless you are going to get that gun for less than 500 dollars, don't bother.

a sub-compact is not a good first gun, and you need a good first gun to LEARN with.
Will he acquire bad habits from buying a gun from a sympathetic FTF seller
(a gun he can't buy from any LGS), then leaving it in the safe,
and buying a second gun to practice with?

Don't take your firearms advice from gun shops, cops or random Internet forums. Read the laws and GOAL.ORG

I have a 26 and 27 only difference is the extractor and upper. He could get a lone wolf conversion barrel and shoot both 9 and 40 for short money. And if he has 40 mags he doesn't need 9 mags for conversation

OP don't worry about this too much,it's a Glock and in a few weeks you will have it up for sale in the classifieds.

OP don't worry about this too much,it's a Glock and in a few weeks you will have it up for sale in the classifieds.
OP shouldn't make it look like the purchase from the cousin is a straw,
intended for flipping a Glock. OP's cousin won't like what happens next.

Actual cops have been actually convicted in Mass. for flipping Glocks "on the badge".

op, my bedside gun is a glock 23 .40. don't listen to these boneheads, it'll go bang and drop the human that you point it at while pressing the trigger. these guys are like fashonistas and the 9mm is in style right now. my choice of protective firearm for the night is such that if i need to use it, i don't want the powers to be to confiscate my good guns. as to selling...put a glock in .40 caliber up for sale in the classifieds for no more than $550 and it will be sold in 48 hours. remember, gotta be green to do that. ok, all you 9mm snobs, you can continue rubbing your manhood all over those cases of 9mm ammo you paid dearly for along with your yearly memberships. carry on! [laugh]

Here you go:

Close, but no cigar. He was convicted effectively for straw purchase, specifically for making false statements about the purpose of his firearm purchase. He was not convicted of reselling a firearm, especially a Glock.

I stand by my original call BS. No cop has been busted in Mass for reselling their handgun because they didn't need/want it.

Close, but no cigar. He was convicted effectively for straw purchase, specifically for making false statements about the purpose of his firearm purchase. He was not convicted of reselling a firearm, especially a Glock.

I stand by my original call BS. No cop has been busted in Mass for reselling their handgun because they didn't need/want it.
That's not what you responded to. @AHM said cops had been convicted of flipping Glocks, i.e., buying them to resell. You said that was BS. AHM did not say it was illegal for a cop to buy a Glock, decide after some time that he didn't want it, and resell it.

Back
Top Bottom