• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'initial quality' scopes galore

paul73

NES Member
So, i think i wrapped up my desire to explore what the 2021 options of shitty cheap glass :) looked like, and got some final conclusions,
which do not really expand much beyond of what can be found in most of recent reviews.
The models that went through me and stuck for now - as they passed the initial test - are:

1) $110 - Athlon Optics Neos 3-9x40 SFP
2) $200 - Vortex Optics Diamondback 4-12x40 SFP
3) $250 - Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP
4) $440 - Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50mm FFP Athena BPR MIL
5) $440 - Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50mm FFP Apollo 6.5CR
6) $500 - Vortex Optics Venom 5-25x56 FFP

illuminated: 3, 4, 5.
zero stop: 3(with mod), 6
covered/locking turrets: 1, 2, 4, 5

overall optically the #6 stands apart, but it is not exactly in the basic 'shitty' category.
next one, optically - with a huge field of view and very clear glass - #2. it can be declared a winner of a whole category, especially considering its 16oz weight, but it has some serious drawbacks.
it would be a truly great scope is they added a parallax adjustment there. at 25yds it cannot render the target in focus at all - you need to dial back magnification from 12x, so, no squirrels or mink eye shots for you. sad.
i do understand they have a next tier diamondback tactical 4-16x for $350, but i was curious to see what can a cheaper option provide, plus 4-16x weighs 24oz - same as 3-18x scopes.

next would be, surprisingly or not, #1. the issue there, again, it has an absolute minimalistic feature set - a basic cross hair with 3 notches, it works for nothing else other than 50/100 .22lr really. for hunting it cannot compete with 2 which has simply a next level clarity and way less chromatic aberrations. but field of view is decent, glass was not milky - it looks ok so far. some reviews say it may not last so. and some say it can have debris inside, etc. quality issues, but, for the $100 - damn.

the 4/5 new 3-18s stand aside, somewhat, mostly due to their exceptionally good reticles and illumination. the field of view on those scopes is not that great, but the rest of optical path is ok. may be less chroma than 1, even, adjustment of parallax is great, etc. the apollo reticle in 6.CM is pretty awesome, as in practical reality is does not require any elevation dialing in at all, just zero it and leave turret alone - so the absent zero stop is not the issue, up to 600yds at least. i tested it and up to 300yds i have access to it was dead on.
Athena reticle in MIL is also ok - similar to apollo enough to get used to it. i got those instead of a diamondback tactical due to the illumination feature.

so far the scope some reviews say was the 2021`s 'best option' - #3 - PA 4-14x sucks big time. field of view bad - smallest of them all. turrets do not seem to be excessively mushy in my sample, but optically it is worse than 3-18x, at both 14x and 9x. i do not see any debris inside of my sample, it is not milky, but if you set it next to the 2 and compare - damn! not even close.
so i will take it to the range to see how it will hold turrets adjustment - with a mod it gets zero stop, it has illumination, etc. from the house i cannot really tell how it will render low contrast targets, etc.

a #6 again in my opinion is the great scope,, optically very clear in between diamondback and pst2, but, it is both heavy and lacks illumination.

for anybody who needs a true hunting scope - the #2 is the absolute best, hand down. it is clear enough and FOV big enough for no need for illumination and very light.

discarded scopes - 2 vortex crossfires, 2 vortex strike eagles, some chinesium uhg/monstrum, 2 bushnells 4.5-18x40 and 6-18x50, athlon argos 6-24x50 (abysmal compared to #6 and pst2)

as of placement -
4-14x and 4-12x will be probably rotating on the .22LR CZ 457 depending upon use cases
3-9x will be set on the dedicated cheap .22LR AR15 upper, it is perfect there
2 3-18x will stay on AR10s. one with athena reticle i may try to sell soon, as i do not like it that much. if anybody wants it - let me know, we can discuss
venom 5-25x sits on LaRue subMOA AR15 with 20" barrel
pst2 5-25x is on bergara 6.5CM

that is all, for now. :)
there was also an LPVO exploration done, but it is way more subjective topic. the winner there for now is the 1-10x swampfox arrowhead in MIL reticle. only other scope left is the 1-6x PST2 vortex that remains in its box, for now.

Last edited:
one more scope arrived, but i am not sure yet of where it will go.
turrets on that thing are truly massive. clicks are very distinct indeed, overall feel is good. glass is very clear. i do not have now a razor to compare it with, but it seems to be clear.
i got it with a discount and a $166 worth of crap for it - which is kinda ok, and their 20moa mount also. so, for a $400 scope it is not half bad, as it seems.
i did not and will not do a submarining test on it. :)

Last edited:
5C8279BA-9C2B-494C-9868-DD219733DBCB.jpeg just unboxed and put on all the crap it came with, including its 20moa mount. total weight - 1483g - 52oz. heavy. all components seem to be good.
nothing feels obviously wrong or faulty so far. contrast looks a tad better than on the pst2 scope, but until i take it to 300 on a cloudy dim day to look at bullet holes on white paper - difficult to tell for sure.

Last edited:
View attachment 608795just unboxed and put on all the crap it came with, including its 20moa mount. total weight - 1483g - 52oz. heavy. all components seem to be good.
nothing feels obviously wrong or faulty so far. contrast looks a tad better than on the pst2 scope, but until i take it to 300 on a cloudy dim day to look at bullet holes on white paper - difficult to tell for sure.

I picked up one of those in their last release as well, and also haven't mounted it yet. When it showed up, I didn't remember backordering it or what I intended to put it on. :) There's a message in here somewhere about 'don't drink and internet', but I think I got lucky.

View attachment 608795just unboxed and put on all the crap it came with, including its 20moa mount. total weight - 1483g - 52oz. heavy. all components seem to be good.
Arken seems to have a good following, interested to see how you feel about it. Turrets do look large, but they are probably good in the winter with a glove on.

Arken seems to have a good following, interested to see how you feel about it. Turrets do look large, but they are probably good in the winter with a glove on.
In about 10 weeks will see. Turrets feel reasonably good, they really tried it to be a razor knock-off. I do not have now a good quality 56mm glass for a comparison at home.
There should be more reviews coming out on it now as well.

In a brief moment of clarity, I remembered why I ordered the Arken. I had (I thought) a Bergara B14 22LR inbound. By the time we sorted out that what arrived was not what was ordered, no one had any left hand rifles remaining.

I should probably install it on something just to see how I like it. Time to crawl through the rifle safe and see what my least favorite scope is. Or if I procrastinate long enough, bergera will ship their next batch of lefties.

it works for nothing else other than 50/100 .22lr really.
I know next to nothing about scopes, don't have any at the moment. Not sure I'm understanding the above comment, is there a difference w/ scopes you use by caliber? Thanks for the post btw, because I have been toying w/ the idea of getting an entry level scope. I don't hunt anymore (never hunted rifle) & none of my clubs go beyond 100 yards so don't see the point in investing a lot on glass right now.

I know next to nothing about scopes, don't have any at the moment. Not sure I'm understanding the above comment, is there a difference w/ scopes you use by caliber? Thanks for the post btw, because I have been toying w/ the idea of getting an entry level scope. I don't hunt anymore (never hunted rifle) & none of my clubs go beyond 100 yards so don't see the point in investing a lot on glass right now.

I believe what paul73 was referring to was the reticle in that scope having a dot bullet drop compensation style reticle

216002_BDC500-IR.jpg

which is designed for 22LR shooting inside 100 yards, where you are not planning on adjusting elevation knobs for different distances. The dots give you a quick holdover reference without adjusting elevation. The scope itself is capable of handling recoil from full rifle cartridges. Athlon has a link to their BDC22 Reticle Manual that might help explain it.

Compared to a scope reticle like this from the Arken EP5

2795906176.jpg

where there's a lot more going on. For use at a range inside 100 yards, the entry level scopes should suit you fine. There are differences in glass quality that you can see, especially with higher magnification scopes but figuring out your own requirements for scope clarity just takes looking through a lot of scopes at different ranges and magnifications.

Athlon 3-9 reticle dots do not really align well with neither.223 nor .308.
For .22lr it worked fine.

If you - @Buck F - give more details for a use case and I can tell more, perhaps.

Last edited:
so, as i keep shooting my 6 dasher rig with an Arken EP5 5-25X56 FFP MIL - all i can say, the hype about it is spot on.
optically it is better than my vortex viper pst2 5-25x. better contrast and better center resolution, difference is well visible at 300yds.
may be vortex has a bit better resolution and less distortion at the edges, but, what do you need edges for on a 25x scope?
on my copy the parallax is also spot on, 100 is for 100, 300 for 300. some complained about it.
i did not drown it to see if it leaks or not, and not going to. everything else about it is quite great.
one downside - it is a benchrest scope, as it is truly heavy.

here is the link - i got it when they were giving a $169 combo pack for free with it. dunno if it will happen again, but, this is a very good scope.
i don`t think there is anything in this price category that could compare with it.

so, the coupon still works. 'SAVE$170' - when you add combo pack. only pack now is not $170 anymore. :) so not sure if it is worth it or not.
heh, and scope also went up, it used to be $549.99. inflation.

1654827431571.png

Last edited:
I wonder if their lifetime warranty contains the typical "electronics limited to x years" that everyone except Vortex has.

There is a Japanese scope manufacturer (exhibits at the Shot Show) that will make scopes to just about any spec with your startup's label on them - you don't even need to design the mechanism and optical elements/configuration. I wonder if that is how Arken does their design and manufacturing - I did not notice any engineering or optics experts featured in their "about us" page. Just a point of interest - not a comment about the quality.

I wonder if their lifetime warranty contains the typical "electronics limited to x years" that everyone except Vortex has.

There is a Japanese scope manufacturer (exhibits at the Shot Show) that will make scopes to just about any spec with your startup's label on them - you don't even need to design the mechanism and optical elements/configuration. I wonder if that is how Arken does their design and manufacturing - I did not notice any engineering or optics experts featured in their "about us" page. Just a point of interest - not a comment about the quality.
Not sure either, but their turrets are great and glass as well. I actually think of getting another one to swap out primary arms 3-18x. Will see.

they should be large , lots of are going to scopes cuz we cant see shit,

reticles have many uses and some play better with different cals, and end use.
There are some here that can use a old school Duplex reticle for range finding , hold overs and such. The key is knowing the subtensions of your reticle and all its stuff you see when looking through it.
from simple target dot scope to full blown Xmass tree style reticles. It can be head spinning for sure. I like simple reticles The Sightron MOA2 reticle is about as busy as I like it.

Im also a sucker for older scopes: Many older than me. redfield widefield . lymans , weaver K4 K6 K10

you really just need to focus on end use.

simple "target dot" March scope down to 1/16th moa dot---- tiny
1656731017362.png

Then you can get complicated this reticle actually has dual plane reticle,
1656731151621.png

Then we have not even discussed how/what or why ! Fun stuff

Last edited:
reticles have many uses and some play better with different cals, and end use.
There are some here that can use a old school Duplex reticle for range finding , hold overs and such. The key is knowing the subtensions of your reticle and all its stuff you see when looking through it.
from simple target dot scope to full blown Xmass tree style reticles. It can be head spinning for sure. I like simple reticles The Sightron MOA2 reticle is about as busy as I like it.

Im also a sucker for older scopes: Many older than me. redfield widefield . lymans , weaver K4 K6 K10

you really just need to focus on end use.

simple "target dot" March scope down to 1/16th moa dot---- tiny
View attachment 632862

Then you can get complicated this reticle actually has dual plane reticle,
View attachment 632863

Then we have not even discussed how/what or why ! Fun stuff
it is worth to add to that, for a precision shooting at anything that is far enough - you really need a reticle with a broken cross in the middle, and a small dot, ideally - like this on the arken reticle, and latest vortex ones are similar to that as well.
that design allows you to see enough of target itself, not blocked by the reticle lines, and put central dot properly at the POA.
1656960761092.png

Back
Top Bottom