• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Insight on Flashlights

Four Sevens in the (2) 123 flavor with deep pocket clip is my choice for EDC

I hate AA batteries - they go dead on the shelf - the 123's last at least a year with use, I rotate every year for my stored batteries and those in electronics that sit.

Try Enloop LSD NiMH's.

Last edited:
I have a (few years old) Olight Warrior M20, and just picked up a 500Lumen M20XS. They are really solid, but not necessarily a pocket light. They do have a clip though if you have cargo pockets. They also are designed to be used as a self defense implement. I have an Olight (T21 IIRC and now obsolete but they have new versions of the T series), which is a pen light, also a great light (it is mounted on a rifle) and would be excellent for pocket carry and are a great bargain. I use rechargeable 18650 batteries with them and they work great.

+1 on ochmude's recommendation for Eneloop AA rechargeables. They hold their charge for a long time on the shelf. I use them and have a set I've been testing for 18 months and the drop off is minimal. Costco sells them in packs (AA and AAA) for less than $20, and they are a great deal.

I'll throw in a vote for a Fenix PD32. I currently own an older version and it has served me well as an all-around light. I am going to retire it to a weapons light and pick up the new version as my pocket light

I have the streamlight protac 2L for EDC . don't know how I lived without one at work before. For my truck I keep a fenix tk41u2. Love this light.

Just picked up a Jetbeam PA10, it is going back ASAP, it is rated at 650 lumens but won't put that out unless you get the 14500 battery, then if you use that battery it loses it's other low beam functions, what's the sense in that ~ I also hate the crap out of the single rear switch clicky thing, is there a reason that you have to go through all the levels just to get to the one you want. [frown]

On another note I got a sweet Fenix TK 22 that runs on a single 18650 or 2 CR123A's it kicks ass big time.

Anyone have a Klarus ST11 I want to try that next.

Tim ~ [grin]

Just ordered a Klarus ST2C ~ Seems like a pretty straight forward model with good output, no crazy special batteries, I'll let ya know how it works when I get it in hand.

One light I really love is my Nebo Redline 310 it uses 3 AAA's and and has some great features, it has a nice zoom, you can buzz though the settings with a rear rotating switch, 10, 50 100 % then SOS & flash, the on off switch located in the rear glows a light green and when the batteries reach 20% it glows red, really cool light for sure.

Tim ~ [thumbsup]

Just ordered a Klarus ST2C ~ Seems like a pretty straight forward model with good output, no crazy special batteries, I'll let ya know how it works when I get it in hand.

One light I really love is my Nebo Redline 310 it uses 3 AAA's and and has some great features, it has a nice zoom, you can buzz though the settings with a rear rotating switch, 10, 50 100 % then SOS & flash, the on off switch located in the rear glows a light green and when the batteries reach 20% it glows red, really cool light for sure.

Tim ~ [thumbsup]

I've got a Nebo Redline 220 and absolutely love it. For the features, super brightness levels, and price ($25 shipped), it's a great value.

Nebo 5581 220 Lumen Redline Tactical Flashlight Strobe S.O.S:Amazon:Home Improvement

Ok got the Klarus STc today, just came in from messing around in the woods with it, It is very bright and fits in my hand great, I don't care for the forward switch very much, it doesn't cruise through the settings all that easy like my Fenix, you have to hold it for a second and kinda let it run through the settings or wait a sec between clicks, it isn't built as heavy as some other lights I have, I'll keep this one but won't get another with this style switching.

So far the Fenix is by far the best built light I have, I want to try a Sunwayman next, this friggin hobby can get expensive can't it [laugh]

Tim [grin]

Ok after having the new Klarus ST2c for a few days I am already sick of it, the memory / momentary switch is driving me nuts, sometimes it works slick and others it takes a few clicks to get through the different settings without it flashing, why can't it just be simple, you know, on/off low med high, what's with all this nerd switch crap, if this is what's out there for flashlights I am going to dump this hobby very fast.

Tim [sad2]

I got the Fenix PD35 on Friday, I have been messing with it since, I have to say this is now my favorite, it's just the right size and has a ton of power, built like a brick shit house and looks cool, I am loving the Fenix lights.

Plug : Fenix LED flashlights and headlamps blaze a trail to greater appreciation for the outdoors, even when conditions make navigation a challenge.

In tent to intense, each of these selected models transforms chores into easier work while putting power on the important task of way finding in remote locations.

The Fenix Lighting Limited Lifetime Guarantee demonstrates the company’s commitment to your success anywhere adventure calls.

Tim [laugh]

I love the fenix pd32s. The one on my AR still works afrer thousands of rounds. I keep another in my night stand. Also never underestimate the 13 dollar energizer headlamps. Wicked useful.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Fenix seems to have some awesome models, I am using Ultrafire BRC 18650 batteries in them, so far so good.

Just a note here, the Klarus ST2C is working out ok, I don't care for the switch all that much but after you get used to it things work ok, it is a bright light and will do the trick when needed.

Tim [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom