Insight on Flashlights

Viper22

NES Member
As far as flashlights go, I've got a couple older Maglites around the house. They have been upgraded with Nite Ize LED bulbs. I have recently been looking into buying a couple "tactical" flashlights. Something smaller, brighter, and easy to carry. More and more I'm finding myself in need of a flashlight. I'm looking for something that can either be carried in a pocket, or clipped on a pocket. I quickly browsed through the Fenix website and I like some of their offerings.

I would like to stay budget minded too, although I don't have a problem paying a little extra for a quality product. Feel free to school me on the different technologies available in terms of bulbs & batteries.

The question is: What do you have/recommend?

Jetbeam makes some nice stuff for reasonable prices. I have a few different models.

The low power mode makes the batteries last a long time... and if you need it, there's the "eye of G-d" mode when you want a LOT of light and you want it NOW.

I do carry four spare CR123s in a carrier in my EDC shoulder bag, though. Just in case.

HDS Systems. Hands down the best lights I've seen. I have three, all different models. F&F is top notch. But if you're a fan of surefire, I guess they're ok haha.

+1 to FourSevens. They have lights for literally every purpose from every day carry to search and rescue (reference the insaness of their XM18)

If you want a true pocket-sized light, I highly recommend one of these. I carry one everyday as a backup light at work. It takes one AAA battery, is smaller than a tube of chapstick, and is brighter that a Surefire incandescent. My wife carries one as well and keeps it on her keychain.

Second on the pd32 - a very nice light, and well built.

I also recommend the carrying/nearby storage of some spare batteries, as a matter of habit.

Hmm... looking in the Liotech section, it appears that John is no longer in business. Shame... I love my Behemoth.

If you want a true pocket-sized light, I highly recommend one of these. I carry one everyday as a backup light at work. It takes one AAA battery, is smaller than a tube of chapstick, and is brighter that a Surefire incandescent. My wife carries one as well and keeps it on her keychain.

Have you done the mod to use a 3.6V AAA LIon battery?

Fenix pd22 edc in my pocket and Fenix tk15 when I want more heft and more light.

Hmm... looking in the Liotech section, it appears that John is no longer in business. Shame... I love my Behemoth.

Have you done the mod to use a 3.6V AAA LIon battery?
A) It is a shame. I still keep my Behemoth from that group buy in my work bag for when I need LOTS of light. Great products and great service.

B) I actually just found out about that mod when I search for the link to paste. I use an Eneloop NiMH rechargeable.

ultrafire cree 501 and 502. awesome tactical light, i have both. You have to buy the batts and charger but mine has lasted 2 yrs and still strong as heck. amazon has them.

Last edited:
HDS Systems. Hands down the best lights I've seen. I have three, all different models. F&F is top notch. But if you're a fan of surefire, I guess they're ok haha.

I had an order in with HDS systems. They said six weeks. Over a year later I still had not received it, just one excuse after another and never a delivery date. Ended up canceling the order.

Yes, they are reputably good-quality lights, but buyer beware if you are ordering one from them.

I second the foursevens. Carry a Quark Tactical myself. Fits perfectly in a pants pocket.
Is that a quark tactical in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

Not Tom runs a 4Sevens group buy every 2 weeks (or at least it feels like it!). Keep your eyes open for another buy. I've got a Quark Tactical, a Quark Turbo, and I keep a Preon in my pocket for everyday use.

As far as flashlights go, I've got a couple older Maglites around the house. They have been upgraded with Nite Ize LED bulbs. I have recently been looking into buying a couple "tactical" flashlights. Something smaller, brighter, and easy to carry. More and more I'm finding myself in need of a flashlight. I'm looking for something that can either be carried in a pocket, or clipped on a pocket. I quickly browsed through the Fenix website and I like some of their offerings.

I would like to stay budget minded too, although I don't have a problem paying a little extra for a quality product. Feel free to school me on the different technologies available in terms of bulbs & batteries.

The question is: What do you have/recommend?

This is why you need to check the group buy forum more often. I just got done running a fifth round of foursevens products.

I won't be doing another one for a month or 2. If you have nothing by then, jump in on it.

I had an order in with HDS systems. They said six weeks. Over a year later I still had not received it, just one excuse after another and never a delivery date. Ended up canceling the order.

Yes, they are reputably good-quality lights, but buyer beware if you are ordering one from them.

Sorry to hear about that. I had no problems with any of my three orders. Though you'd think for the price they would have been able to make it work for you. The last time I ordered from them was probably a year and a half ago, when they came out with the 200 lumen module.

I have a maglite xl50 its 100 lumens runtime is pretty good runs off of three AAA batteries. Walmart carries them. Its no surefire but has served me very well for the past year and a half. Its a good size plenty bright and roughly thirty buck.

The Streamlight MicroStream looks like a great buy. Had some points on my Amazon rewards card, so I was able to pick one up for $1.33 including free two day shipping.

We'll see how it works out until the next foursevens gb. This way, it will give me an idea if I like that size light, or want something larger/brighter.

The Streamlight MicroStream looks like a great buy. Had some points on my Amazon rewards card, so I was able to pick one up for $1.33 including free two day shipping.

We'll see how it works out until the next foursevens gb. This way, it will give me an idea if I like that size light, or want something larger/brighter.

I Have one and like it alot, not that bright during the day but who really uses one in the day. The only thing i dont like is it is small. (hard to handle) . But well worth the $$

I Have one and like it alot, not that bright during the day but who really uses one in the day. The only thing i dont like is it is small. (hard to handle) . But well worth the $$

I like the size. Disappears in any pocket. And if you think a 20 lumen focused beam isn't enough, look into the lens when you switch it on!

Four Sevens in the (2) 123 flavor with deep pocket clip is my choice for EDC

I hate AA batteries - they go dead on the shelf - the 123's last at least a year with use, I rotate every year for my stored batteries and those in electronics that sit.

Back
Top Bottom