• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Installing Home Security Cameras 1st time

Im installing a home security camera system for my mother in law. Never done it before. She bought one of those cheap sets from costco w/8 cameras. Does anyone have any pointers on what to do with all the cables? Its an older house, originally I was thinking about running the cables through windows and mounting the cameras near there but, Im wondering if there was a better way to organize all the wires.

What kind of a house? Is the attic open? Can you snake cables inside walls?

I have all the camera cables go into my attic and then they go down to the basement along the vent pipe. From there they are routed to the DVR as one big bunch.

I was under the impression that most of those newer systems employed wireless cameras. If installing some outside, I would drill straight through the outer wall in a place that is behind furniture, and just use a trim plate like those for cable tv installs. For inside cameras, I would go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy some raceway type conduit that is designed to hide cords and wires when you can't snake them through walls. Basically it is flat channel with snap on covers, and can be painted to match the walls so it blends in. Unless you have the experience and tools to snake the wires inside the walls, this is the way to go, and it can easily be undone if she moves. Good luck!

What kind of a house? Is the attic open? Can you snake cables inside walls?

I have all the camera cables go into my attic and then they go down to the basement along the vent pipe. From there they are routed to the DVR as one big bunch.

I was going to suggest attic/basement like you suggest, but I got the impression that the op isn't experienced in snaking wires (otherwise he wouldn't have asked this question), so I kept it simple for him.[wink]

Its an old colonial. I think the attic is the best bet. I just didnt want to have to drill into it for every camera. I might have to go back to see if there are any existing holes where I can run a bundle through it through. Snaking the cables down through the basement from the attic sounds like a lot of work. I might just try and run them through the attic to the second floor where I will most likey set up the control center. Thanks for the input so far. Im definatly a newbie at this.

Back
Top Bottom