Instructor certification license.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

in Mass, the handgun training class needed to get a handgun permit to carry is a NRA Basic Pistol class taught by an instructor with live fire?

Does Mass, require any state licensing to be an instructor? I ask because to get a Texas LTC you have to be taught by an instructor licensed by Texas. Meaning you have to have a Texas LTC instructor license.

Does being an instructor make it easier to obtain a Mass LTC/CCW? Does Mass allow for traveling instructors? Or does an Instructor have to have a Mass address?

if all it takes is a NRA Basic Pistol course taught by an instructor to count as training for mass, does that instructor have to teach the class in Mass? Or in other words does one have to be a resident to be an instructor?

Last edited:
See my answers in RED. IANAL.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

in Mass, the handgun training class needed to get a handgun permit to carry is a NRA Basic Pistol class taught by an instructor with live fire? NO. There are several approved courses, including the Mass Hunter Ed course, that have no live fire, that are acceptable per MGLs. There is also an exception for .mil folks...but IMO, there is a trap here, as a new-to-DPRM military person can lawfully get an LTc without a course, so they may have no clue about the Mass laws.

Does Mass, require any state licensing to be an instructor? I ask because to get a Texas LTC you have to be taught by an instructor licensed by Texas. Meaning you have to have a Texas LTC instructor license. You need an LTC to teach an LTC or FID course; an FID for an Fid course. You need to have an Instructor's cert, or other docs from the creator of the course, that indicates that you are able to teach it. To issue the cert for the State, you need a Mass State Police Basic Firearm Safety cert, which is pro forma, upon presenting your credentials from the accrediting course. The only exception may be for a Hunter Ed course - I'm not sure if you need an FID or LTC to teach the course. I'll have to check that. ETA: To become a Mass Hunter Ed Instructor, you need an FID or LTC, but no other cert for firearms training.

Does being an instructor make it easier to obtain a Mass LTC/CCW? Does Mass allow for traveling instructors? Or does an Instructor have to have a Mass address? In some Cities/Towns, it may, depending on the Licensing Officer. You can travel as you see fit, as long as you obey all relevant laws - it's not a Free Pass. You need a Mass LTC/FID(see first response), so an out-of-stater would have to get a Non-Resident LTC...I'm guessing that's really rare for an Instructor

if all it takes is a NRA Basic Pistol course taught by an instructor to count as training for mass, does that instructor have to teach the class in Mass? Or in other words does one have to be a resident to be an instructor? To issue a Mass certificate for a Mass LTC, you need a Mass LTC (see above), because you need the State Police cert. An NRA Basic Pistol course taught by a Texas instructor would not be sufficient. Part of the Mass regs are that "Information be provided about Mass gun laws." From the FUBARness you've seen here....it helps to be immersed in the....atmosphere of the place.

Last edited:
🤔 You have multiple threads on licensing and requirements for different states. Are you making some type of reference sheet and taking the word of an on line forum for legal expertise?

🤔 You have multiple threads on licensing and requirements for different states. Are you making some type of reference sheet and taking the word of an on line forum for legal expertise?

Absolutely not, just trying to get more information, insight. Just reading what each state posts on their web sight isn’t always straight forward. Someone who lives in the specified state will have more understanding then I would.

This additional insight, additional information etc can lead me to ask an expert like a lawyer, or wherever better questions. I will be the first to admit, that even after reading the laws of whichever state you wish to mention, as well as other information from the state doesn’t always tell me everything I may need to know, or understand fully what I have read.

I do realize that an Internet forum about ANY topic won’t have the most accurate information, but sometimes it can help lead a person in the right direction to find that information, or for that matter if it’s even worth the time depending on ones own circumstances.

@Texasgrillchef welcome to NES [wave]

Now with those pleasantries out of the way... are you still in TX? (... if so, why do you care about MA gun laws???)

If you’ve moved to MA, go “Green” and all of your questions will be magically answered by the Brain Trust
[/QUOTE]

I care because I am a citizen of the United States. I care about gun rights for ALL US citizens.

I am also a frequently traveler and travel all over the states frequently. When states make more restrictive gun laws, it makes travel more cumbersome and problematic for law abiding citizens to travel. One example is New York. Almost impossible to get to any of the New England states especially those three states that have constitutional permitless carry, without first traveling through New York. The shortest route to get to those 3 states would require one to travel through the great state of Massachusetts.

Even if I don’t live up there, I could still go “green” and might do that anyways come first of the month. :)

No matter where I travel too, I always run across one group or another that hate having tourists (from anywhere). Yet some should be aware that tourism for some states represents more then 50% of the states revenue. (Hawaii) BTW I’m NOT implying you don’t like tourists or other temporary visitors.

Even though I love my great state of Texas, and am patriotic to Texas, I still have federalist viewpoints, in that we need more federal government and less state government when it comes to such issues like guns, transportation, communication (internet), and certain other issues. While some issues should be left to the state governments.

One last reason I care, is l like to keep myself educated on the laws of guns throughout our country because I am a traveler and because I have no desire to break those laws. In my younger days, I might have been willing to fight the legal system and take unconstitutional laws to court. I no longer wish to do so at my age. Now I just want to enjoy life. I may not agree with the laws, and I will always support groups who wish to overturn those laws. But I myself won’t fight them, and will remain law abiding to the best of my ability. Thus I keep myself informed.

Back
Top Bottom