• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interest in an informal 'Top Shot' competition?

jar

M1911 mentioned in the top shot thread the idea of basing the competition on established shooting disciplines.

M1911 said:
What pisses me off about the show is that they refuse to have a segment that includes any of the recognized shooting disciplines. Instead of doing their make believe scenarios, have the competitors compete in recognized disciplines:

- IPSC open class
- IDPA SSP
- Bullseye
- Service Rifle
- Match Rifle
- ICORE
- Trap or skeet

I know, not dramatic enough for TV, but a shooter who got the top aggregate score competing in all of those disciplines may well earn the title Top Shot.

Is anyone interested in trying something like this? I think it would be a lot of fun to have a match like this. I don't have the time to put together a big match, but maybe we could try it out with a small group. Say get 10 or so interested people together at Harvard once the snow melts and try it out. Anyone interested?

I have equipment I could loan for:
IDPA SSP / USPSA Production
IDPA SSR / ICORE Retro
22 bullseye
Shotgun (just a mossberg 500 though)
USPSA Rifle tactical (or anything else with an AR with a 1-4x optic)

Nice idea Jeff.
A suggestion would be 3 or 4 guns, bullseye (.22rf), Action Pistol (steel challenge style, 5 targets so not to screw the wheel gun shooter) Rimfire Rifle (can use bullseye targets or steel) and shotgun of some sort. That way it can be done with everyone competing in one day.

I'd be interested, but let's do it in NH so we can use those cool exploding targets. [devil2]

Archery - longbows, recurves, crossbows (I've got a crossbow on order - 1600's design).
Anyone got throwing knives or axes?

Do we have anyone here who can videotape it?

As a thought, my club runs an "All around" 100 yd rifle; 50 ft. 22 pistol, archery; trap; skeet; and rod & reel casting at a target. each event is 100 points.

Now THAT"S an all-around!

This is only for our members, but in July we're having a King (or Queen, if a lady wins) of the Hill Trap/Skeet combo shoot, which will be open to non-members

I'll be posting about that later.

have fun!

How about:
22LR bullseye national match course at 50ft or 25y
Smoke and Hope with centerfire pistol
Speed Option with rimfire rifle
100 yd national match course with centerfire rifle, any sights
A round of single trap

How about:
22LR bullseye national match course at 50ft or 25y
Smoke and Hope with centerfire pistol
Speed Option with rimfire rifle
100 yd national match course with centerfire rifle, any sights
A round of single trap
Throw in an action pistol stage with a revolver? Heh, I'm trying to get any advantage that I can. And besides, it will be fun to watch all those pistol guys dump 6 rounds and a speedloader at their feet [wink]

This isn't a LARPing competition.

LARP.jpg

Jar,
I'd be interested too..depending on date..
I assume there'd only be one firearm used per event?
Or would one be able to use their own equipment?

Nice idea Jeff.
A suggestion would be 3 or 4 guns, bullseye (.22rf), Action Pistol (steel challenge style, 5 targets so not to screw the wheel gun shooter) Rimfire Rifle (can use bullseye targets or steel) and shotgun of some sort. That way it can be done with everyone competing in one day.

What he said. (Or something close to this.) Archery option is interesting as well.

IN if held in NH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom