• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting AR failure

dans

NES Member
My nephew brought his AR over because it had a case jam in the bolt and he couldn't remove it. When I looked at it, I noticed that when I tried to pull the case out it sprung back in. Afte rgetting the case out, we removed the BCG adn took a look at it. The bolt was installed upside down so that the extractor was pushing the case AWAY from the ejection port. I'm not sure where he got it from but it came pre-assembled and he just installed it.

The really interesting part is that I took a fresh BCG from my stock to compare it to. When I looked at this one, the ejector pin was non-functional. It was fully depressed and I couldn't get it to spring back out.

I'm going to be more diligent about checking fully assembled sub-assemblies from not on.

That's a new one on me. The tolerances of the bolt would have to be pretty bad to allow the cam pin into the bolt backwards.

Left handed bolt in a right hand upper?

Don't think you can put the bolt in upside down, the cam pin wouldn't go in...unless something was milled wrong.

Who is the manufacturer for both BCG? I usually take them all apart to make sure it looks right and is spaced correctly with the barrel before using them.

Absolutely break down any firearm I buy before shooting it. I also don't buy DelTon shit and the like. Everyone has a bad day but the better companies invest in QA that catches most of those eff ups.

Left handed bolt in a right hand upper?

Don't think you can put the bolt in upside down, the cam pin wouldn't go in...unless something was milled wrong.

It was a right-handed upper and right-handed BCG. I was wondering if it was a lefty BCG, but it wasn't.

Then I would say you have some seriously out of spec parts if the bolt was put in upside down.

Just for giggles take the bolt out of the carrier and see if you can insert the cam pin from both sides.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom