• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting experience w/Lyman

allen-1

NES Member
I use Lyman Quick Shot as a case lube. Can started getting light, so I bought some through Amazon. Three weeks later it hadn't shown up so I cancelled my order and went directly to Lyman's site. Put in an order there for two cans. That was on September 23rd.

On Thursday October 8th I ordered a comparable product from Dillon and it showed up the following Monday, (the 12th).

On October 13th I got an email from Lyman which showed me that my order was shipping and asked me to fill out a Google Review. As of the sixteenth USPS showed that my order was sitting in Massachusetts. At which point I sent an email back, which (politely) said that they really didn't want a review from me because of what had occurred to date.

Lyman's Customer Service Manager responded, and apologized. Said that in his five years at Lyman he'd never seen it so busy, and that they were working hard to keep up, but were finding it hard to even catch up. He said that the Lube Sizer line has had too many delays, and thanked me for my business.

We had GA State IDPA match that weekend. I worked on the setup crew Wednesday and Thursday, shot with the staff on Friday, and worked as a CSO on Saturday. At some point during that, the order from Lyman showed up. I sent an email to the CSM, thanked him for his previous response and told him that my order had arrived.

A couple of days later I came home from dinner and found a package on my doorstep from Lyman with a nice ballcap in it. He didn't have to do that, he didn't have to answer my emails. It's not as though I spend a lot of money with Lyman - but he treated me as a valued customer.

So now I'm looking through their catalog...

When I talk to older guys they talk of lyman back then being the best.
They dont get the same praise from the old timers now adays.
Its good to see they are still trying.

I see a difference in the lyman bullet molds. I have several older molds and they are night and day better than the last 3 new lymans I bought. Which 2 where returned for refund.
Glad they did you well. I still buy Lyman target sights now and again.

Picked up a set of free RCBS dies from a friend. The decapping rods were bent and broken, so I called RCBS c/s to try and buy replacements. Wouldn't let me pay, said they would send them right out. Awesome. I have had the same treatment from Lee and Dillon. :)

Picked up a set of free RCBS dies from a friend. The decapping rods were bent and broken, so I called RCBS c/s to try and buy replacements. Wouldn't let me pay, said they would send them right out. Awesome. I have had the same treatment from Lee and Dillon. :)
I called to order some hornady pins because I forgot where I put the last batch they sent me, lady laughed and asked what cal. I said I just need pins.
She asked do you have 223 rem and 30-06 , yes I do. I received new expanders along with 10 pins
Lee has been out standing for customer service for me. Calling had produced better results

When I talk to older guys they talk of lyman back then being the best.
They dont get the same praise from the old timers now adays.
Its good to see they are still trying.

I see a difference in the lyman bullet molds. I have several older molds and they are night and day better than the last 3 new lymans I bought. Which 2 where returned for refund.
Glad they did you well. I still buy Lyman target sights now and again.

Lymann bought Mark VII industries recently. Perhaps the slickest non-commercial grade reloader you can buy. Its going to give the Dillon 1100 a run for its money.

Last edited:
Same experiences for me with Lee and RCBS, both sent me replacement parts no charge right away after calling. Can't ask for better than that.

Lyman leapfrogged to a leadership position when they bought Mark VII reloading. A shooting friend bought a mansion in FL shortly thereafter o_O

Lymann bought Mark VII industries recently. Perhaps the slickest non-commercial grade reloader you can buy. Its going to give the Dillon 1100 a run for its money.
I hope. Right now the Mark VII is still too expensive, aimed at either people that have a lot of money to reload A LOT of rounds (probably 40K+ rounds per year) or people that maybe do some commercial work with it.

I had a chance to play with one at Aiming for Zero in September. The machine felt smooth and looked great.

However, I have read some poor reviews on the machine. But I think it was mostly from commercial reloaders.

Dillon still has the aftermarket support and name recognition as well as quality.

I think if Lymann puts its marketing behind it and they make build a machine around $1K with good parts it could eventually take off.

The 1100 is over $2k when you are all done.

The Mark VII is about $3k.

So its not much more than a Dillon. Like you said, Dillon's tech support is legendary. They just sent me parts for free this week for a 25 year old 650 that I own. Dillon is the epitome of buy once, cry once. But Lyman gets great reviews for product support also. Its just not legendary. Ha.

Back
Top Bottom