• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting find in FFL eZCheck

DR

NES Member
From Arms and the Law: head on over to the ATF's FFL eZCheck and punch in 1-54-XXX-XX-XX-00725 for the FFL number. The results are surprising (in a Carl Rowan kind of way).

SugarmannFFL.png

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me at all.. antis are often the biggest hypocrites...

"WE need guns, but none of you peons should have them. "

-Mike

The VPC owns several firearms of various makes and models.

They have a "safe house" (in Virginia I believe), where they're kept for informational (ie:propaganda) purposes.

They're clearly not using their FFL for business purposes. Wonder if someone could get BATFE to revoke it.

Either that, or I'll apply for an FFL for gun advocacy purposes.

Head of Violence Policy Center has FFL license

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2008/02/the_quintessenc.php

The quintessence of hypocrisy?
Posted by David Hardy · 11 February 2008 11:26 AM

Josh Sugarmann, head of Violence Policy Center, has a Federal Firearm Dealer's license. The business address is VPC's headquarters in D.C.. Which, if I recollect DC law correctly, means VPC is exempt from the handgun ban

VPC%20FFL.jpg

a comment by a user
Posted by: Dean Speir at February 12, 2008 12:37 AM

Someone needs to point out to BATF that you are supposed to be in the gun business if you have an FFL. And I would be surprised if VPC's offices are zoned for retail sales. That's part of why I couldn't renew my FFL in the 1990s after the Clinton Administration decided to crack down on what groups like VPC characterized as "kitchen table dealers."

Is there any hypocrisy there ?

I find it highly unlikely that the VPC/Sugarmann would knowingly violate the law or terms of their FFL. Whatever “business” they're involved in, at the very least it probably operates just shy enough of having their FFL revoked.

As far as violating or skirting any zoning laws they have a way around that (and legally)...

National Public Radio (NPR)

SHOW: Morning Edition (10:00 AM ET) - NPR

March 11, 2004 Thursday

LENGTH: 987 words

HEADLINE: Assault weapons ban due to expire in September

ANCHORS: BOB EDWARDS

REPORTERS: LARRY ABRAMSON

BODY: BOB EDWARDS, host:

This is MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Bob Edwards.

Gun control advocates won a big victory last week, but it didn't last long. They passed a Senate amendment that would have extended the assault weapons ban. Gun control opponents were so upset that they killed the entire package of legislation. The ban is due to expire in September, and gun control supporters are making its renewal a do-or-die issue. NPR's Larry Abramson reports that people on both sides agree the ban has not worked as intended.

LARRY ABRAMSON reporting:

The Violence Policy Center is one of the more aggressive gun groups in Washington, DC, and analyst Tom Diaz is their assault weapons guy. It's his job to emphasize just how deadly these guns are. So how does he feel about the effort to renew the assault weapons ban?

Mr. TOM DIAZ (Violence Policy Center): If the existing assault weapons ban expires, I personally do not believe it will make one whit of difference one way or another in terms of our objective, which is reducing death and injury and getting a particularly lethal class of firearms off the streets. So if it doesn't pass, it doesn't pass. (Soundbite of car doors closing)

ABRAMSON: To explain why, we have to travel. The District of Columbia's law against assault weapons is even stricter than the federal government's. Virginia's is more friendly, so the Violence Policy Center keeps its samples at a house on the other side of the Potomac.

Mr. DIAZ: Hi, Amy.

(Soundbite of door closing)

ABRAMSON: Diaz knocks on the door of a house in Arlington, Virginia, a suburb of Washington. This is where he keeps a small collection of assault-style weapons.

(Soundbite of gun case opening)

ABRAMSON: Diaz opens a gun case and pulls out a Bushmaster XM-15.

Mr. DIAZ: So this is the model that the Washington snipers used. They can be used, as the snipers did, for precision firing.

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/other/NPRSemiAutoBan.html

(C3) May one license cover several locations? [Back]

No. A separate license must be obtained for each location. However, storage facilities are not required to be covered by a separate license, although the records maintained on licensed premises must reflect all firearms held in the separate storage facility. Firearms may be shipped directly to separate storage facilities as long as they are properly recorded as an acquisition in the licensee's records.

[27 CFR 478.50]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#c3

I find it highly unlikely that the VPC/Sugarmann would knowingly violate the law or terms of their FFL. Whatever “business” they're involved in, at the very least it probably operates just shy enough of having their FFL revoked.

I have heard noises about Type 01s being issued in the past for non-typical purposes.

Also, since BATFE gets to make the final word, IMO the reason they don't pull their FFL is likely the same reason that Bloomberg, his buddies, Steve Bailey, and the rest of them, haven't been prosecuted. Their "mission statements" especially on the back end are a little too close for comfort. I might feel differently if the ATF generally had a sense of "fair play" about them, but their actions in the past have shown that they will do anything and everything to make a poster child out of someone over a menial violation of federal gun law.

-Mike

This FFL has been around since the mid 90's. From what I've read, it was acquired to gain entry into certain firearms oriented events open only to the trade.

I have heard noises about Type 01s being issued in the past for non-typical purposes.

Also, since BATFE gets to make the final word, IMO the reason they don't pull their FFL is likely the same reason that Bloomberg, his buddies, Steve Bailey, and the rest of them, haven't been prosecuted. Their "mission statements" especially on the back end are a little too close for comfort. I might feel differently if the ATF generally had a sense of "fair play" about them, but their actions in the past have shown that they will do anything and everything to make a poster child out of someone over a menial violation of federal gun law.

-Mike

I'll be amazed if anything becomes of this.

On at least two other firearms forums members are being urged to flood the BATF, IRS and media outlets with phone calls. [thinking]

If you have any complete FFL number you can download the entire FFL database from the BATF site - it's a service they offer to their licensees. I did a project for a gun company that involves downloading the EzCheck database in the middle of each night so their in-house system can flag expired or revoked FFLs.

It's interesting running queries like "select count(*) from ffl_licenses where name like '%walmart%';

Back
Top Bottom