• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interesting gun safety advice from the VA

The central office released this pamphlet urging family to keep guns away from veterans with dementia:
http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1186

Among other questionable advice is: If you have questions regarding gun safety, please see your care provider.

I've worked closely with enough VA clinicians to know that asking them about gun safety would be as informative as asking them about welding, or taping drywall.

But the real WTF part of the pamphlet is their illustrated suggestion of perhaps the worst method of locking a firearm, a method every owner's manual I've seen specifically warns against:
vafirearmsdementia.jpg

I will be writing this office tomorrow to offer my suggestions in a constructive, respectful manner, in order to improve the gun safety advice given to veterans. [sad2]

Yes, jiggly padlocks will stop people from having an ND. [rolleyes] That's almost as bad as that news article pic with the gun shooting entire cartridges out the muzzle.

-Mike

I will be writing this office tomorrow to offer my suggestions in a constructive, respectful manner, in order to improve the gun safety advice given to veterans. [sad2]

Reps inbound for catching it and doing something. The Dr. is only going to say "Lock them where he/she can't get to them". Maybe advising people to contact a lawyer or gun rights non-profit would be more useful to the family. If they already don't know what to do with the guns, they still won't when the time comes to find a new home for them. Would grandpa want his son or grandson jammed up because he didn't know anything about gun storage laws or licensing?

If you weren't planning on asking them to recall pamphlets (if possible), it might be a good idea. Someone who learns how to "safely store" a gun from the picture on that pamphlet is going to get hurt.

lol that padlock doesn't even look like it's locked.

Nope, sure doesn't.

we're not the intended audience - the ones that it's directed to will not "get" the fail, but will get the fear.

If they're not gun folks, the'll likely call John Law, one of Dad's buddies, or a Licensed Dealer that buys one gun, or entire collections, so they don't have to touch them.

When looking at this sort of thing, you gotta remember that it's not directed at people that know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge, or that know that HPBT is not a sexual preference, but a bullet design.

But the real WTF part of the pamphlet is their illustrated suggestion of perhaps the worst method of locking a firearm, a method every owner's manual I've seen specifically warns against:
View attachment 31524

lol that padlock doesn't even look like it's locked.

It's a failure on several levels. The revolver backstrap could use some dehorning too. Ouch!

This is what happens when you cobble together Clip Art from MS Word 1997.

The central office released this pamphlet urging family to keep guns away from veterans with dementia:
http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1186

Among other questionable advice is: If you have questions regarding gun safety, please see your care provider.

I've worked closely with enough VA clinicians to know that asking them about gun safety would be as informative as asking them about welding, or taping drywall.

View attachment 31524

The owner's manual for my (brand new) Ruger MK III has a similar picture of a padlock through a trigger guard with a big red slashed circle over it along with the directions on how not to apply the padlock that comes with the gun...

In the vets with dementia category, I know one. The advice about glass cabinet doors and hiding keys is not adequate. He opened a safe with a crowbar (he's 91 and fairly small).

"The presence of knives in
households has been linked to
increased risk of injury or death"
I think the VA needs to add another brochure.

After reading all this, I really think that I should get some padlocks and secure my guns. Now if I could only remember where I put them. I've looked in all the kitchen cabinets and under the sink. Maybe my eye doctor can help. Jack.

Well they do encourage you to trigger lock but they will also GIVE you a real trigger lock if you don't have one. Not to long ago there was a big box of trigger locks at the Security Police window (usually in the lobby). I think D2D nailed it. Clip Art FAIL!

Back
Top Bottom