Interstate transfer

I live in Mass and another private party in Iowa would like to purchase my hand gun. I know the buyer in Iowa needs to have a pistol lic and provide a FFL. Can this FFl form be faxed / or mail directly to me or a FFl on the sellers side too? Do I need to send it to the buyer through a FFl or can I over night with UPS directly to his FFL?

1. Contact the buyer. Tell him you want a copy of his receiving FFL's license either faxed or e-mailed to you. Don't sweat the IA Pistol Permit. He shows that to his FFL at the time of the NICS check to get the gun, not to you.
2. When you get it, go to the ATF's FFL eZCheck here, and make sure the FFL is still valid.
3. Have the buyer contact his FFL and ensure his FFL will accept shipment from a "non-licensee" (that's you). Some FFL's won't.
4. Prepare a letter for the FFL explaining who the gun is going to, along with all his contact info, and stick it in an envelope. That way the gun doesn't just "show up," and the FFL is left thinking, "Who the hell is this for?" Include your contact info, too, so the FFL can write something in his book. I include a copy of my DL, but that's optional.
5. I like to make out two copies of a bill of sale, sign both, and include one with a SASE and ask the buyer to send a signed copy back, but that's optional.
6. Package and ship the gun (and paperwork above) via either UPS or FedEx to the business address on the FFL's license. Have it boxed before you go to the shipping center. (I have online accounts with both shippers, and fill out my labels at home, too. I just hand the box to the folks behind the counter, good to go.) Both UPS and FedEx have policies requiring you to send them Overnight.
7. E-mail the tracking number to the buyer.

Any other questions, just ask.

Last edited:
Excellent advice, I recently shipped a pistol to a gunsmith (FFL) for work. Went very well, except instead of holding the pistol at the FEDEX office (which they are supposed to do) they actually delivered it to my house - was waiting for me one day when I got home from work.

3. Have the buyer contact his FFL and ensure his FFL will accept shipment from a "non-licensee" (that's you). Some FFL's won't.

When you say non-licensee do you mean pistoal o or FFL? I have a Mass pistol lic not a FFL.
Thank you for your help.
Gary

When you say non-licensee do you mean pistoal o or FFL? I have a Mass pistol lic not a FFL.
Thank you for your help.
Gary

A "non-licensee" is ATF-speak for a non-FFL holder. Like you. (Note my comment in line 3). Some FFL's will not accept shipment from non-FFL's. Tell the buyer to ensure his receiving FFL will accept shipment from you.

What about MA to NH transfer.....? Should be able to bring it directly to the FFL in NH thats doing the transfer...?

Back
Top Bottom