Intersting chat with MSP

A MSP officer is a regular at my corner coffee shop and I noticed he was carrying a M&P. The slide cover plate was pretty wide so I asked him if everyone carries the 45 M&P. He said yes they moved over from the Sig.

Did they carry the Sig 40 before switching to M&P? I just thought Glock had MA rights for some reason. I know Everett carries G21 which I'd prefer over the Smiths.

He's a good dude BTW and sits on the lawn on 93 in Woburn occasionally.

I think a lot has to do with what kind of deal they can get. Smith and Wesson just gave WPD 150 or so new guns to replace ones they had. No charge

I think a lot has to do with what kind of deal they can get. Smith and Wesson just gave WPD 150 or so new guns to replace ones they had. No charge
yeah that's what I was thinking.

My buddy is a MSP
They carried 226 in 40 and the switch to midsize m&p 45

Sheeet I'd hate to carry the 226 period,let alone in 40.

As a duty weapon, it's fine, concealed, need a good belt, holster, and body frame.

I would take an M&P 45 over any DA/SA gun, and especially over a Sig. No question. A Glock 17 or 34 would be my first choice if I were looking for a "duty" gun, but the M&P 45 is a solid option.

.45 is at the top of my wish-list, was thinking 1911, but over the past 6 months or so i've come around to the m&p.

but i'm 5-7", 170, so it obviously won't be edc. (except in shtf situation in a drop-leg holster)

.45 is at the top of my wish-list, was thinking 1911, but over the past 6 months or so i've come around to the m&p.

but i'm 5-7", 170, so it obviously won't be edc. (except in shtf situation in a drop-leg holster)
It's slightly smaller than the G21, you'd be fine. But why not Glock?

I love my M&P 45c, my absolute favorite gun to shoot and has been 100% reliable even with my reloads. I know my town officers all use G21s

It's slightly smaller than the G21, you'd be fine. But why not Glock?

i go back to my standard response to glocks, taken from vera in "planet of the apes" to charlton heston---"you're so damned ugly"

seriously though, i carry a sig 938. occasionally in the winter i use the sr9c. that's as big as i can go. anything heavier throws off my balance karma and leads to hip and back-aches.

if i went to one on each side i'd probably be ok, but that would get a bit expensive.

i go back to my standard response to glocks, taken from vera in "planet of the apes" to charlton heston---"you're so damned ugly"

seriously though, i carry a sig 938. occasionally in the winter i use the sr9c. that's as big as i can go. anything heavier throws off my balance karma and leads to hip and back-aches.

Check out the 45c, its the same size as the 9c pretty much which is similar in size to the SR9c. Of if youre ever in the worcester area, you can fondle mine.

My 45c is almost identical in size to my 229 with the exception of thickness. The 45 fs gets carried more than the C. I have a couple thousand rounds through the fs versus 32 in the C. I really want to like the compact but for some reason have no love for it. Hell, my 226 dak in .40 gets cc'd more than the 45c

I dig the M&P 45/45c but still favor a G21/41 or G30s for subcompact option.

my M&P 45 has eaten any and all ammo through it w/o a single hiccup. it has to be one of the most robust pistols I've ever tested.

my preference for the G21 is purely matter of taste. both are freaking amazing pistols.

Shot a friend's M&P .45C - trigger was awful - long travel with a heavy break point. Reset was barely noticeable. I'd take my G30S with 10+1 or 13+1 (G21 mag) instead of the M&P with 8+1. Never tried an M&P with an APEX job that might change my mind about the trigger. I also liked the M&P grip or feel in my hand better than the G30, but not enough to convert me.

I dig the M&P 45/45c but still favor a G21/41 or G30s for subcompact option.

my M&P 45 has eaten any and all ammo through it w/o a single hiccup. it has to be one of the most robust pistols I've ever tested.

my preference for the G21 is purely matter of taste. both are freaking amazing pistols.

Agreed. I have all of the above minus G41, M&P 45FS. They shoot awesomely and I'll add that talon grips give you the most comfortable gecko-like grip when shooting them.

MBTA Transit Police carry the Sig Sauer P227. They tested the M&P .45 and hated them. I carried it on duty and never liked it and went back to the GLOCK 21SF.

Shot a friend's M&P .45C - trigger was awful - long travel with a heavy break point. Reset was barely noticeable. I'd take my G30S with 10+1 or 13+1 (G21 mag) instead of the M&P with 8+1. Never tried an M&P with an APEX job that might change my mind about the trigger. I also liked the M&P grip or feel in my hand better than the G30, but not enough to convert me.

I love my M&P 45 FS, it's one of my best shooting guns, of course that was after the APEX kit to fix the MA Trigger...

LEO's most likely carry the 14 round magazine, so they would have 14+1...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_830547_-1_758021_757846_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

MSP carried the P226 in 9mm starting @ 1986. They transitioned to .40 in early 2000's. They were configured in traditional DA/SA configuration. Then when the DAK system came out they transitioned to that. They had problems with those guns and were not pleased with Sig's response in addressing their concerns. S&W made a generous offer and the MSP adopted the M&P 45 with the 4 inch barrel. They also have some 642 revolvers in service in the Division of Investigative Services on a limited basis. The STOP Team uses S&W 1911's, which model, I don't know.

The MSP also supplemented at various times the following guns: P225 in 9mm, P239 in 40 and NAA Guardian in .32 ACP (very limited service).

Needless to say S&W lost a lot of face when the MSP went to Sig back in the 80's. They had supplied the agency with guns since its inception. I'm sure that there were some political considerations made when S&W got the contract back but I also know the Dept wasn't pleased with Sig at the time. Sig was really expanding production, experiencing growing pains and I don't think the Double Action Kellerman system has been successful for them, on the face of a bit complicated.

Transit PD was in the process of transitioning to M&P 45s and during qualifications with the new guns, they experienced a very high failure rate. A decision was made to ship the entire order back to Smith and go with Sigs instead.

I love my M&P 45 FS, it's one of my best shooting guns, of course that was after the APEX kit to fix the MA Trigger...

LEO's most likely carry the 14 round magazine, so they would have 14+1...

My M&P FS 45 was a LE purchase and the trigger was very bad. After 500 rds it smoothed out some but still wasn't very good, so off to Greg Derr it went and now it is a sweet 5#.

If the evaluation didn't run at least 500 rds/gun they never saw what a stock trigger could potentially be and of course were displeased. Also S&W triggers OOB are literally all over the place (confirmed to me by 2 POs in 2 different departments who tested their M&P FS 45s before deploying them to their officers). Once broken in, the M&Ps are a great gun, but most officers will go many years before they hit 500 rds!

No, LEOs do not carry the 14 rd mag. Although legal for them to do so, it extends the grip by a couple of more inches and would be unwieldy in a holster.

I have an M&P 45 FS police trade in. It is not one of my favorite guns. A member here did a quick trigger job on it for me which made it a lot better to shoot but if I am shooting 45 I prefer a 1911.

No, LEOs do not carry the 14 rd mag. Although legal for them to do so, it extends the grip by a couple of more inches and would be unwieldy in a holster.

That 14 round mag is ridiculous. Its interesting that Glock gets 13 rounds into a standard sized grip.

Don

p.s. for those who are comfortable working on guns, I've done this trigger job on a number of guns and it works out very well.

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

The first steps are where the real gain is had. I stopped when it got to the part that required removing the rear sight. The pull ended up very smooth and broke at about 5.7 lbs based on my Lymann trigger gauge. The reset feel was not improved so all I ended up doing was purchasing an Apex Reset Assist Mechanism for $20.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom