• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Interview in Salem, MA

Hi all,

British immigrant here who, now I have my green card, will be attending my interview tomorrow in Salem., MA. I have heard that the polcie force here are more restrictive in giving out unrestricted LTCs which has concerned me for two reason.

1) The neighboring towns are less strict, and I find it a little bit odd that towns on the North Shore do not confirm to similar standards. Seems a little unfair that 5 minutes away over the other town line someone is carrying concealed whereas I can't.

2) I work part time as a spokesperson/director for a high profile political movement, and would ultimately like the option to conceal carry for my own protection.

I plan on highlighting the two points to the officer in the hope I can get an unrestricted, but has anyone else here had experience in Salem and able to offer some advice on how to handle the situation?

It's strange that you find anything gun related in this Country odd. Considering you came from a Country that it's subjects, are not trusted with firearms.

Well I would certainly argue Salem having a different policy to Beverly on the unrestricted is bewildering to me. But nothing surprises me in Salem to be honest, I'm starting to learn that. It seems unfair that just over the way someone can legally bring their concealed weapon to Salem as their town issues unrestricted to anyone who asks, whereas this town you're expected to not be given the same rights. Not much of a level playing field. I do wander if there is a rights issue there.

1) The neighboring towns are less strict, and I find it a little bit odd that towns on the North Shore do not confirm to similar standards. Seems a little unfair that 5 minutes away over the other town line someone is carrying concealed whereas I can't.

Lol this is MA (a f***ing pile of garbage filled with commies, and well within top 10 worst gun law states in america) and there are likely at least 352 issuing authorities, all of which have different standards and bullshit they make people go through.

The reality is, however, there are only a couple of dozen douche/c*** towns left, where LTC applicants are treated like human garbage. Salem is one of them. Proceed with caution.

If you don't know what you're doing, you might want to reach out to an attorney like Neil Tassel or Jason Guida, and get some professional assistance, if you want the airplane to take off without crashing with the least amount of issues possible.

Just be sure you have never failed to report a hotel fire or received a deposit for an insolvent banking institution.

Last I checked 92% of LTCs where unrestricted. That probably accounts for something like 80% of the little people's LTCs being unrestricted, as you can't really count those issued to police or important/connected people as indicative of how the ordinaries are treated. I think Salem is one of those towns were you will eventually be able to get unrestricted but may have trouble as a dang newcomer who is also new to firearms.

Salem??? Mention you like witches. Maybe mention your great-grandmother was a witch. It might help.

Take it a step further....go in dressed as a witch. Claim you are bringing attention to their unique local history. Plus after the witch trial, you had a relative killed and your family was driven back to the UK. You are just back here to claim some reparations from the locals so that you can get your equity.

Well I would certainly argue Salem having a different policy to Beverly on the unrestricted is bewildering to me. But nothing surprises me in Salem to be honest, I'm starting to learn that. It seems unfair that just over the way someone can legally bring their concealed weapon to Salem as their town issues unrestricted to anyone who asks, whereas this town you're expected to not be given the same rights. Not much of a level playing field. I do wander if there is a rights issue there.
Well, when you go to see the police man, tell him how you are bewildered. Tell him how you think it is unfair. If you wander that there is a rights issue, well, you will see about that soon enough ( I think you are a troublemaker, sounds like)

Why did you even move here, and to Salem? What did you expect?

Thanks, and I of course hope you can get an LTC at all, esp. unrestricted.

We are absolutely pro-police, and not a left wing movement! haha
Keep in mind the person put restrictions on constitutional rights is right in front of you while he, his force, his buddies and the connected are free beyond what you are. The issuing authority aka the chief of police.

From what I have seen from friends and family in Salem getting permits, this assumes nothing that would DQ you outright.

Have you lived here less than a couple years and rent or have anything that would cause them to question your character? Restricted class A

Have you owned a place here for over 2 years and have nothing else that would cause them to question your character? Unrestricted class A

I work part time as a spokesperson/director for a high profile political movement, and would ultimately like the option to conceal carry for my own protection.

I plan on highlighting the two points to the officer in the hope I can get an unrestricted, ...
We are absolutely pro-police, and not a left wing movement! haha
The closest analogue I can think of
is someone who shows up to an LTC interview jumpier than a dog with fleas
over some newly perceived risk of {mugging, home invasion, carjacking ...}.

It turned out that my interactions with my town wasn't much of an "interview",
but I decided ahead of time that Less Is More,
and that I wasn't going to rack up "he needs a gun" points
by getting frothy over this or that bugaboo.

Anyone with good instincts (unlike me) want to opine upon
which Salem PD reaction is more likely?
  • Cor blimey, he's one of us. Unrestricted with a cherry on top!
  • This guy is gonna clear leather on some lippy SJW counterprotesting his Saturday morning sidewalk standout, and cause us paperwork. Target and hunting only!
It frankly strikes me that people who come in and say,

I'm the new assistant manager at the jewelry store.​
The boss has me taking the reciepts to the bank night vault,​
and now we're open until 11:00PM.​

have a different impact than those who break the ice with,

I work part time as a spokesperson/director​
for a high profile political movement,​
and I need to be able to shoot attackers.​

(You moved to Salem because the mayor and city council
agree with your politics, right?)

Not to mention, if you say you work for a political movement
(and this is a paid job?), you will get asked what it is,
and your suitability will hinge on whether this movement
has ever caused problems for any police anywhere -
even by attracting counterprotests.
"Caused problems" according to the police and the MSM -
not
according to you.

You could always live in Lynn...
But then he won't come out the way he went in. [rofl]
From what I have seen from friends and family in Salem getting permits, ...
Upvote for the potential ground truth.

Upvote for the potential ground truth.

For what it is worth, I know 4 people who got permits in Salem in the last 5 years. Two got restricted and two got unrestricted. The restricted had both recently moved in and were renting, the unrestricted had bought houses and lived there for 2+ years when they applied, all four were separate households, not like two couples or anything. The two who were renting, one had moved in from out of state, but not sure how much that was part of the consideration.

None had any criminal history of any type.

One of the restricted just bought in Salem and is coming up on a year with the permit and is going to apply for having restrictions removed. will see what happens.

For what it is worth, I know 4 people who got permits in Salem in the last 5 years. ...
(Wasn't trolling you for further disclosures, but) further upvote for even more data. [thumbsup]

The only more accurate data would either be a bald statement by the LO,
or sekrit inside information from SPD.
(Which I'm not holding my breath for).

Not doubting your inferences.

Hi all,

British immigrant here who, now I have my green card, will be attending my interview tomorrow in Salem., MA. I have heard that the polcie force here are more restrictive in giving out unrestricted LTCs which has concerned me for two reason.

2) I work part time as a spokesperson/director for a high profile political movement, and would ultimately like the option to conceal carry for my own protection.

I plan on highlighting the two points to the officer in the hope I can get an unrestricted, but has anyone else here had experience in Salem and able to offer some advice on how to handle the situation?
Don’t have any advice, just want to welcome you to the country. 👍

(Wasn't trolling you for further disclosures, but) further upvote for even more data. [thumbsup]

The only more accurate data would either be a bald statement by the LO,
or sekrit inside information from SPD.
(Which I'm not holding my breath for).

Not doubting your inferences.
Just figured elaboration would not hurt. all of them had asked me for advice about getting their permits.

One other data point the two unrestricted did consult Jason Guida and got a package from him on applying as well as a search to make sure nothing they were not expecting came up. Nothing did and while the package was probably helpful it really just reenforced the advice I gave and what you see on here for the most part, at least from the reputable sources. The other two had multiple background checks from work and were so sure they were squeaky clean they did not see the need. They had also read the packages Jason provided.

The one person I know who was outright denied I had advised multiple times to see a lawyer as they were coming from out of state and while they did not have any permanent DQ, they had stuff that would show up in the background checks.

Welcome to the US. From what I have learned over the years people who move to the US from the UK turn the inside of their homes into a little British museum :). Don't forget to post up the union jack pictures. Good luck getting your LTC and welcome to the people of the gun. Remember don't be John Oliver, be like Sir Winston.

churchill1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom