intrigued by certain guns

I’m a sucker for vintage S&W revolvers. I can neither confirm nor deny I may have bought another one yesterday. I need it like a hole in the head, but I still need it!

I've caught this vintage S&W revolver disease as well. I have multiple 19-3s because one is the "daily driver" and the other the "garage queen" [laugh] it's a problem

Hows bp availability? I seem to recall a major company stopping production a ways back?
They are producing again.

In New England there are 3 places that I know sell it:

KTP
Hunters Rendezvous
Maine Powder House

There are a few others in NH that sell.

You can also order online, I think from Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf.

It many I haven’t shot…but there are definitely guns in the safe I probably should have bought something more ‘practical’.

Like my 6.5 Creedmoor M39 ‘DMR’ clone I built years ago. At least $2.5k into that setup…probably more. It doesn’t even have a scope on it right now because I haven’t had time to mess with the barrel whip adjustment on the SAGE International NSG chassis. Shot maybe 40rds through it 5 years ago (200yds for proper barrel break in and another 20 to realize that I needed to mess with the chassis to get any kind of accuracy out of it)…robbed the scope for another rifle and there it sits.

Currently looking for a Savage 1907 pistol and a Charter Arms Bulldog 44.
There's one right now in the Classifieds. 3" barrel.
Ya so? I have a safe full of impulse, questionable decisions, that after further thought, I just can't sell well because.....
....because they've been outperforming PMs. That's my go-to rationale.
Ruger #1, just can't decide on the cartridge although they have released it in 6.5 manbun
Easy solution--one of each.

My weakness is 1858 Remingtons in different barrel lengths, finishes, and calibers. Happened upon TWO of them last weekend. Who could resist a snubnose 1858 Remington? Well, except the rest of you guys.

Attachments

• 1858 snubnose.jpg
    1858 snubnose.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
Have the S&W bug also, had to have a 15-4 and one day a decently priced one came up for sale on here and I couldn't hit message sender faster enough.
The other was a FR-8, found a nice clean one and I just had to have it, had to. I was so happy walking out of the shop after the transfer my wife said "the smile on my face was even bigger than when we walked out with our first kid" LOL.

i do my absolute best to resist temptation to start buying historical guns, as i would dump all the kids college fund into that easy.
so i am tryign to keep it to practical things i actually shoot regularly, in modern calibers, and trying to sell off all the rest that does not see shooting range in more than a year or 2.

and that gets dangerously close now to my tavor. which i do not want to sell. but, i do not shoot it no more. grr.

In my opinion there is no need for a #1 in 6.5cm.

The #1 is a 100 yard, maybe 150 heavy hitting gun. The gun you load to kill 3 polar bears next to each other.

The #1 should be in Safari rifle cartridges.

Ruger has made some sh*t desicions, like totally f*ck up their production of 480 revolvers, and mess with the #1 in heavy calibers.

CZ seems to be learning from Ruger and thinking that is a good idea.

So sad.

Edit: I could see a #1 in 6.5cm being useful in the woods of NE where you would be lucky to shoot more than 50 yards, there is something about shooting a single shot that is just so much better than "modern" rifles. But there are so many other calibers that might be better for short ranges.
I was thinking. 375 H&H magnum but no real use in NH for that, 45/70 could work though

I’d jump all over one of those.

…then sell it to you for $5k. Lol. I love FALs, but the para doesn’t do it for me.

I would only buy it for $2.5k because it would be a wallhanger lol

I have an 18" FAL and it shoots great.. Not sure why I want the Para, I think because it is relatively hard to get... I can turn my FAL into a Para anytime I want for around $1200, but it's just not the same as a factory FN 50.63 :)

I would only buy it for $2.5k because it would be a wallhanger lol

I have an 18" FAL and it shoots great.. Not sure why I want the Para, I think because it is relatively hard to get... I can turn my FAL into a Para anytime I want for around $1200, but it's just not the same as a factory FN 50.63 :)
I love both my FALs. I built one for trade bait, but I like it too much to part with it. Lol.

What a great rifle.

I love both my FALs. I built one for trade bait, but I like it too much to part with it. Lol.

What a great rifle.

I haven't shot mine in a while, but I don't really want to sell it either.

Would probably do a partial trade for the 50.63 though :)

At the time I bought my FAL from DSA, if I would have spent a bit more I could have just got a FN 50.63, but I was dead set on an 18".. I paid like $2.3k for the DSA, I think maybe Para's were going for a little over $3k at that time. My buddy got his 50.63 from 4$easons for around $3.5k that time as well.

Looking at this pic, almost makes me want to go shoot it lol

QjEIyU9.jpg

Yep...I have simple tastes...an M1A and a Marlin lever action 22LR (Model 39A). If I had those in my safe, my life would be complete......or not. Well...ok, a '70s S&W model 29 w/6.5" bbl too...lol

Last edited:
I was thinking. 375 H&H magnum but no real use in NH for that, 45/70 could work though

No real use for the 375 h&h in New Hampshire? How am I supposed to justify the one I already bought in Western Massachusetts if I'm reading things like that?

It is, in fact a lot of fun. 😁

No real use for the 375 h&h in New Hampshire? How am I supposed to justify the one I already bought in Western Massachusetts if I'm reading things like that?

It is, in fact a lot of fun. 😁
Fun fact, the last year that Bobcat was legal to hunt in NH I took a bobcat with my brothers No1 chambered in 375, needless to say I was only able to get a shoulder mount.

there are 2 guns I'd like to own

Model 17 K-22 S&W revolver

Some sort of a Henry rifle in pistol caliber like a Big Boy Steel Side Gate Large Loop in .357/38 Spl ....

In New England, a 45/70 can hunt every animal.

Problem is, Ruger is run by a bunch of idiots so they stopped producing most, if not all, the fun and heavy calibers for the #1.

F*cking stupid.

That gun is so damn good it has its own section in reloading manuals.

But the 45/70 has been making a big comeback, it is the first caliber they decided to produce with their Rumlins. So I have hope someone will maybe stroke out one day and a replacement executive will bring the #1 back and bring their revolvers back to what once was a great company.

I also lust after a lever 45/70. I prefer the stainless myself. Most likely carry it around Vermont deer hunting 2 weekends out of the year and maybe blast some steel with it once a year, but mostly bitch about ammo prices
Reload.

You will break even in like 200 rounds. The current cheap ammo that is like $2-3/round is sh*t ammo.

We covered the cost in that thread of the guy that refinished the trapdoor and was thinking of buying factory ammo.

Back
Top Bottom