Iowa police chief lies to ATF to obtain machine guns for resale

mcb

NES Member

Chill bro…

Wendt also sought repeatedly to obtain for the department a rotary M134 minigun capable of firing 50 rounds per second, usually mounted on military helicopters. The ATF denied the requested transfer.

"The Adair Police Department does not own a helicopter," the indictment notes.

What a moron, did he really expect to get away with this scam?:rolleyes:
If he succeeded, this would get them into the system as "Post 86 dealer samples" and only be tradeable to FFLs w/SOT. It's not like his scheme would convert a $1000 MP5 into a $20,000 gun as would be the case if it was a pre-86 transferrable. Plus, unlike a Pre-86 sample, the FFL/SOT could not personally keep it after non-renewal of the FFL+SOT.

Last edited:
I presume his interest was recreational, in which case I can't fault his effort. I'd be tempted to try the same if I thought I'd get away with it.

If he was hoping to mount it on the hood of his personal cruiser for traffic control, that's another matter...

The chief made the mistake of defying an agency that is "more immune" that his. This is similar to how the feds have gone after non-federal police officers who have stretched the truth about "official business" in an attempt to obtain authorization to fly armed. Some non-federal police are so used to being on the "I have the power and you do not" end of the equation, that they don't even notice when they are on the other end of such a power hierarchy when dealing with the feds.

Last edited:
Guy would have been fine but it sounds like he went full retard and didn't keep things siloed

If he succeeded, this would get them into the system as "Post 86 dealer samples" and only be tradeable to FFLs w/SOT. It's not like his scheme would convert a $1000 MP5 into a $20,000 gun as would be the case if it was a pre-86 transferrable. Plus, unlike a Pre-86 sample, the FFL/SOT could not personally keep it after non-renewal of the FFL+SOT.
I'll bet that the guns were transferred to the dep't on Form10s. After that they could only go to another LE agency, museum, etc. Never to an individual. Jack.

I'll bet that the guns were transferred to the dep't on Form10s. After that they could only go to another LE agency, museum, etc. Never to an individual. Jack.
Very likely true (and thanks for the information), however, there is reference to the "dealer sample" game in the article:

In addition, Wendt obtained 13 guns for his Denison- and Anita-based gun store, BW Outfitters, under the pretense they were to be used as demonstration models for potential future purchases by the department.

Very likely true (and thanks for the information), however, there is reference to the "dealer sample" game in the article:
The funny thing is if he had conducted his business correctly it would be perfectly fine for him to do this it's just that he was playing a little too fast and loose with everything and that's when they tend to get pissed off....

Thats all we would need, cops flying around with a helo with that gun on it and they can't hit squat with their side arm, imagine the death and destruction they could spread in just a few seconds.

I would rather have a police officer owning a machine gun in his personal collection than having one on the armory being used against citizens so…not guilty.

Jury nullification.

Chill bro…

Wendt also sought repeatedly to obtain for the department a rotary M134 minigun capable of firing 50 rounds per second, usually mounted on military helicopters. The ATF denied the requested transfer.

"The Adair Police Department does not own a helicopter," the indictment notes.

He did it all on a dare. Get it? “A dare” and the city of Adair, IA

I grew up in Iowa and that was the joke back then…it wasn’t too funny back then either.

Back
Top Bottom