Is 308 the new .40?

Is the 30-06 dead? No.

Oh, and brakes are for limp-wristed operators.

If rapid fire stages were cut to half the allotted time, you might want that brake. I guess a good sling and proper use of it makes a brake unnecessary, but most of the tacti-bro's only use slings like this-

za8ygema.jpg

308 surplus will not be there forever, and of course 308 will around, just like most calibers from ww2 are still around. But when will something like 6.5 CM take over that calibers designation as the main support round. the military has already asked once so far for weapons creators or submit a 6.5 rifle to them. Competition shoots switching to 6.5, the pros to the round are well documented.

6.5 can be found at walmart for roughly the same price. Minus steel cased ammo from winchester white box.

Just feeding the caliber discussion :)

308 surplus will not be there forever, and of course 308 will around, just like most calibers from ww2 are still around. But when will something like 6.5 CM take over that calibers designation as the main support round. the military has already asked once so far for weapons creators or submit a 6.5 rifle to them. Competition shoots switching to 6.5, the pros to the round are well documented.

6.5 can be found at walmart for roughly the same price. Minus steel cased ammo from winchester white box.

@drgrant must be boycotting Walmart to claim 6.5 Kardashian is still rare. [devil]

6.5 CM is still a baby cartridge in terms of how long it's been around (and even popular). It wouldn't completely surprise me if some other new hotshot cartridge took its place in the next 10 years. I can honestly say I don't see 6.5 Grendel very often anymore. For a while, all I heard about was 224 Valkyrie, and I think I've only seen one person using it. Heck, the .276 Pedersen-chambered Garand outperformed the 30-06 one in 1931 trials but MacArthur insisted on sticking with 30-06. The required inertia to change cals works in 7.62's favor in terms of staying power.

Meanwhile, 7.62 NATO has been chugging along for over sixty years. Countries including Greece and Brazil still use it as their standard service cartridge (G3 and FAL variants respectively).

I wonder if old Soviet troops sat around after 5.45x39 came out and said, "Is 7.62x39 the new 7.62x54R?" All three, of course, still enjoy widespread usage today throughout the world.

I know that, I'm asking if the mags are the same or do I need to buy all different mags if I want to put a 6.5 upper on my AR10.

I edited my previous post to show I read your post too quickly for it to process. I don’t know the answer to it, but hopefully someone else with more wisdom can chime in.

My best uneducated guess is that if it has to go into the same mag well be the same, it may be, but again, I can’t say that with absolute confidence.

If rapid fire stages were cut to half the allotted time, you might want that brake. I guess a good sling and proper use of it makes a brake unnecessary, but most of the tacti-bro's only use slings like this-

za8ygema.jpg

What is in that pouch below his belt?

@drgrant must be boycotting Walmart to claim 6.5 Kardashian is still rare. [devil]

That doesn't really mean anything. Walmart at one time carried 6.8 SPC, and possibly a bunch of other semi-obscure stuff. I think part of the reason they carry stuff like
that at all, is to make up the profit loss on the pistol ammo they carry. Walmart's rifle ammo prices are generally horrendous compared to market floor.

I'm not saying 6.5 Kardashian is some super rare f***o thing like .223 WSSM or something retarded like that, but this idea that "all the cool kids are now using it, so everyone should be buying it " reminds me of the memes when everyone was jerking off about 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC.

-Mike

What is in that pouch below his belt?

Allow me to guess: Asking for a friend? :D

That doesn't really mean anything. Walmart at one time carried 6.8 SPC, and possibly a bunch of other semi-obscure stuff. I think part of the reason they carry stuff like
that at all, is to make up the profit loss on the pistol ammo they carry. Walmart's rifle ammo prices are generally horrendous compared to market floor.

I'm not saying 6.5 Kardashian is some super rare f***o thing like .223 WSSM or something retarded like that, but this idea that "all the cool kids are now using it, so everyone should be buying it " reminds me of the memes when everyone was jerking off about 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC.

-Mike

Come to think of it, my vision has been deteriorating since I got into 6.5 CM... [shocked]

I would not change out a SCAR 308 for 6.5 CM. If you are investing in a new PRS rifle, then definitely do 6.5 CM. 308 is a great round out to 600 yards and even beyond.

And the Army is going to move to a new variant of 6.8mm for battle rifles, DMR, and SAW's as they re-tool for conventional warfare with a well equipped army using battle armor. But the DOD just bought a bunch of H&K 308 DMR rifles. So I say 308 for a semi-auto battle rifle, 6.5CM for a long range precision rifle, and 5.56 for everything else. Which I just realize is exactly where i ended up so it must be right!

Queen Bee (op) I think you have it backwards. I believe the 6.5 creedmore is the new .40. The .308 will easily live past the 6.5 creedmore.

Here me out on this. 6.5 creedmore WAS the “new shiny” in the PRS game. It’s already a has been when it comes to what the the top PRS shooters use. In 2018 it dropped to #8 in popularity. 6mm creedmore is up to #2 but while the majority of top guys used a 6mm the calibers rising in popularity are 6mm but based on a shorter case than Creedmore. Basically for long distance work the 6mm Creedmore or other 6mm is better than 6.5CM

So unless the military adopts 6.5 CM it will decline. If the military adopts the 6.5 CM it will likely tweak it to be slightly different and you will have a 6.5 Govt or some such name. Pretty much like the 300 savage got a longer case neck and we got 7.62 or .308

In 20 years 6.5 CM it will be right there with 300savage and .222 Remington and 7mm-08 (and my favorite hunting handgun the 357 Supermag or Maximum) all of which I still use.

Just for the record I have a 6.5CM. I shoot it at longer distances and took a buck with it last year. But there are better choices for long distance work and hunting.

You're focusing on one or two roles - competition shooters, who have to comply with match rules, and designated marksmen/snipers, who are tethered to military logistics. There's a large degree of crossover but "competition" is broad and ranges from 2-gun, 3-gun, F-class benchrest, CMP, etc.

The most important role out there for 7.62 NATO is as a machine gun cartridge. FN literally introduced a 6.5 Creedmore MK48 in... May. Come back when we know how 6.5 does in barrier penetration, vehicle disabling, anti-material roles, and in suppressing fire. In combat. In different environments.

Machine guns are where 7.62 NATO is probably going to last the longest and is thus where change is least likely, or slowest, to happen.

FN Unveils MK48 Machine Gun in 6.5 Creedmoor -

Thank you all for the insight into 6.5 CM, did not realize they are going to 6mm dasher or 6mm CM, guess in terms of competition it is mostly a .40 now.

Looks like i had the title wrong lol

Thank you all for the insight into 6.5 CM, did not realize they are going to 6mm dasher or 6mm CM, guess in terms of competition it is mostly a .40 now.

Looks like i had the title wrong lol
Dont worry sooner or later all these recoil whimpy rounds will be replaced by stuff like 300wsm ,338 and what is it 401 chyenne or some shit.
Its funny though look back to the first half of 20th century at all the 6 and 7 mm offerings in rifles. Oh to know what they knew back then......

-Mike
I think the Grendel has a place simply because it's a big step up for AR-15 platform rifles wanting something with larger capabilities in the smaller package.

No... I can afford to shoot my M25. My .338 at almost 4 1/2 dollars a copy for match, not so much. However there is that "reach out and touch" factor

My 300 win mag will do that. But anyone who tells you it's fun to shoot is lying. After a box or two of ammo, you feel like you drank to much cough syrup.
I don't mind recoil at all, but it's the pure concussive force. Especially if you have any kind of roof over your head,
The Lapua is pricey but longer range and easier on the ole brain bucket.

Uh no. 308 not going anywhere for about 20 different reasons. 95% of people using 6.5 cm are driven by groupthink and unaware of the drawbacks such as barrel life compared to a 308. The 6.5 offers nothing over the 308 until one pushes past ~600 yards at which point it owns the show. Suppose decreased recoil if one finds 308 punishing.

Uh no. 308 not going anywhere for about 20 different reasons. 95% of people using 6.5 cm are driven by groupthink and unaware of the drawbacks such as barrel life compared to a 308. The 6.5 offers nothing over the 308 until one pushes past ~600 yards at which point it owns the show. Suppose decreased recoil if one finds 308 punishing.

I agree that out to 600 yards the 308 is as easy to get hits with as 6.5CM. For me I am OK to about 700 with 308 but from 700 out 6.5 is “easier” to get hits with while it is still a challenge with either one

I have two set ups that are the same ( weight , barrel, stock) except for caliber and the 6.5CM has slightly less recoil. Over a box or two of practice no biggie. Over an 80 round session the 6.5CM continues to be pleasant while I’m ready to be done with the 308 at that point. But all macho crap aside I admit I am somewhat recoil sensitive and will develope a flinch if I abuse myself too long with a big boomer like my 50 cal Muzzle loader so others may not notice the difference.

The other thing I suspect that is helping the 6.5CM is my suspicion that both rifle and ammo manufactures have been taking a little more care in production for 6.5CM so far. Just my opinion on this with limited data

Put me into the "I won't be buying any more expensive guns anytime soon so my .308 M1 and FAL are my two most badass rifles, and .308 is the only bottleneck cartridge I currently reload" club.

Great thread.
.308 isn't going anywhere, and it certainly isn't gay. Just another fad for most people that want something different. I think its safe to say, the majority of people that shoot past 200 yards is fairly low anyways.

As far as .40 goes, not going away either, my wife loves her .40.

Back
Top Bottom