Is Chester Rod and Gun as fuddy as it sounds in the rules?

PD7

I am currently a member of Harvard Sportsmen's and it's tough comparing any other range to that. I now live about 10 minutes away from Chester Rod and Gun and I am considering joining there too since the proximity will allow me to shoot much more.

I'm a little worried after reading through the rules though, some things jump out as FUDD central . . .

Range Rules

The need to keep re-qualifying on different ranges every year that ends in 0 or 5
No drawing from a holster
No shooting centerfire rifle caliber SBR's or AR pistols on the outdoor rifle range
No shooting steel in the action pits with centerfire rifles or AR pistols (I understand this could be due to distance constraints in the pits but not sure)
No "class III" full auto, or bump stocks (not that I own anything FA, but stinks for people that do, and bump stocks are a moot point now)
Guests must pay a fee
One line in the rules says PCC's are ok in the steel plates range, then 2 lines down it says PCC's are prohibited ???
Low velocity ammunition is prohibited in the steel plate pistol range (does this mean sub-sonic ammo?)

Is shooting prone allowed at the 100 and 150 yard rifle ranges?

I'm really hoping it's not as bad as it seems, since it's so close . . .

Last edited:
No shooting steel in the action pits with centerfire rifles or AR pistols (I understand this could be due to distance constraints in the pits but not sure)
I suspect that is to protect the steel. Most likely that steel isn’t hard enough to stand up to rifle calibers.

Thats makes sense, but I've seen fudds cry about PCC's on steel because they think the 9mm magically turns into .50BMG out of a carbine barrel.

It adds a good 10%, but likely not enough to cause any damage. A better argument is that if member A is using his AR-15 PCC on the steel, then if moron member B sees it he will think it is OK to use his 5.56 AR-15 on the steel, and that will end up destroying the steel. Back when I was a club officer, that is the type of concern that we often had. You have to consider the lowest common denominator and how you can keep the rules as simple as possible.

It adds a good 10%, but likely not enough to cause any damage. A better argument is that if member A is using his AR-15 PCC on the steel, then if moron member B sees it he will think it is OK to use his 5.56 AR-15 on the steel, and that will end up destroying the steel. Back when I was a club officer, that is the type of concern that we often had. You have to consider the lowest common denominator and how you can keep the rules as simple as possible.

They also don't mention sub guns in the rules anywhere, but i'm wondering if they consider them "PCC's".

Holster absolutely allowed. Just have to attend a training session first. I qualified for 5 stand, action and indoor pretty quick and easy. Not fuddy at all. Great club. Nice folks.

You wanna shoot AR pistols in the action pits? They let you do that at Harvard?

I shoot the ar pistols on the outdoor rifle or pistol range. PCC allowed indoors or out.

Fake news

That's good that there's an exception, but what is up with this crap?

. The following procedure “Draw to clear and load to carry policy” is to be used by anyone wishing to shoot their loaded carry firearm at any authorized range: i. Upon arrival at the range or clubhouse entrance, proceed to the provided RED SAFETY BARREL. On the Outdoor Pistol Range, Steel Plate Range and Outdoor Rifle Ranges, make sure that the range is “hot” and there are no shooters down range before proceeding. ii. Draw the loaded firearm and insert the muzzle into the barrel. Unload as required for the type of firearm. For ALL firearms– verify the chamber or cylinders are clear. iii. With the action open, if possible, re-holster the empty firearm and proceed to the firing line without handling the firearm in transit. iv. Conduct your shooting activity in compliance with the relevant range rules. v. When finished shooting, unload and clear the firearm with the muzzle pointing down range. vi. Re-holster the empty firearm with the action open if possible and proceed to the safety barrel. vii. At the safety barrel, reload the firearm whilst the muzzle is in the barrel and re-holster.

That's quite... a mouthful. Whatever was wrong with just asking people to handle live guns only on hot ranges? (like what most clubs do).

ETA: I hope they have big signs reminding people of this- because "normal" people will break this rule without even thinking about it. The thing I do on every other gun range- load a carry gun while range is hot, reholster, and just leave, is "illegal" according to this.

-Mike

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

Do you need to re-qualify every 5 years?

You wanna shoot AR pistols in the action pits? They let you do that at Harvard?

Harvard has 1 action pit where rifle calibers are allowed.

Do you know if pistol caliber sub guns are ok on the pistol ranges? It also says SBR's are a no go on the rifle range, unless I'm reading it wrong . . .

v.Short barrel rifles (any barrel shorter than 16”) and or AK and AR pistols are to be shot on the Outdoor Pistol Range or Action Shooting Range.

Last edited:

Even with all the time, effort, money, licensing, AND membership fees in MA ..... we still gotta deal with morons.....

That's good that there's an exception, but what is up with this crap?

That's quite... a mouthful. Whatever was wrong with just asking people to handle live guns only on hot ranges? (like what most clubs do).

ETA: I hope they have big signs reminding people of this- because "normal" people will break this rule without even thinking about it. The thing I do on every other gun range- load a carry gun while range is hot, reholster, and just leave, is "illegal" according to this.

-Mike

Basically they don't want you to unholster with the possibility to shoot the ground anywhere there is a cement floor.

The safety orientation is as high quality or higher that what i normally saw in a paid for class in Mass. Well run club.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

Do you need to re-qualify every 5 years?

Harvard has 1 action pit where rifle calibers are allowed.

Do you know if pistol caliber sub guns are ok on the pistol ranges? It also says SBR's are a no go on the rifle range, unless I'm reading it wrong . . .

v.Short barrel rifles (any barrel shorter than 16”) and or AK and AR pistols are to be shot on the Outdoor Pistol Range or Action Shooting Range.

I believe the 5 year re qualification is a new thing but they bend over backwards to qualify you. It's not a hoop, it's more like spend a morning shooting clays, attend a short training session on action shooting etc. If you plan to do these things you're probably attending something already.

I guess you are correct on the SBR's but i've seen anyone make a stink about SBR or AR pistol on the rifle side, I guess I should be shooting mine on the pistol outdoor.

You asking about submachine guns? Idk if they're allowed anywhere on the property but you can come up to my private range with that. :)

Basically they don't want you to unholster with the possibility to shoot the ground anywhere there is a cement floor.

The safety orientation is as high quality or higher that what i normally saw in a paid for class in Mass. Well run club.

That doesn't make sense, though, if you're allowed to work from the holster at the line, unless the deal is that there's cement in some areas and not others, etc.

You asking about submachine guns? Idk if they're allowed anywhere on the property but you can come up to my private range with that. :)

By "sub guns" I meant more along the lines of their semi-auto counterparts. MP5 clones, B&T, etc.

That doesn't make sense, though, if you're allowed to work from the holster at the line, unless the deal is that there's cement in some areas and not others, etc.

Yes. Only holster work in designated areas. There’s a few. Not indoor, not at the big outdoor pistol

By "sub guns" I meant more along the lines of their semi-auto counterparts. MP5 clones, B&T, etc.

I’m really confused. Why would you think an MP5 clone is not a PCC? It is a pistol caliber (9mm), it has a stock, and it has a rifle length barrel.

At Independent in Foxboro they won’t allow PCCs on the 25 yard pistol range that has steel targets, they don’t want people getting the “wrong idea” but it’s perfectly fine to use an M&P 15-22 or a Ruger 10-22 and it’s also fine to use .50 cal black powder rifle on the pistol range - but no PCCs
:emoji_rolling_eyes:

I’m really confused. Why would you think an MP5 clone is not a PCC? It is a pistol caliber (9mm), it has a stock, and it has a rifle length barrel.

You're right, when I think of a PCC, I think more of an AR platform or AK platform in pistol caliber, and MP5 clones and B&T's, scorpions, vectors, or something like the new MP17, more as "sub guns", even if they are the semi versions. But that's just me, and I can see how they are also basically PCC's also.

Back
Top Bottom