• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is Contentment Attainable?

Why can I not be content with my inventory? I keep telling myself that if I just fill this void here, make an upgrade there, get another case of this ammo... then I’ll be good for a while. Then, inevatibly within a week after a purchase, the next ‘must have’gets stuck in my brain and I can’t shake it until I rationalize myself to death until I just buy it.

Some guys I shoot with go years with just a few basics. I don’t get it and am honestly impressed with their level of contentment.

I tried sticking to a budget, but that fell flat rather quickly. ‘Get it while you can’ !

Last edited:
iu

ehh, its the ebb and flow I guess. I went on a spree of filling every niche I could and chasing down whatever flavor interested me at the time. The when I moved out of CT to a very pro-gun environment, I was scooping up FAL's, AK's and all sorts of toys every other week.

Then I got to a point where I just couldn't justify owning something for the sake of owning it, so I started thinning the herd. I got rid of many nice guns and bought a few great guns that i had always wanted. I don't really miss the items I sold, sure they were fun but I hadn't shot them in 6-8 years.

Now days, I upgrade what I have, nicer glass, better barrels, trigger work, custom stocks and such. I'm content.

I get an annual itch for something new it seems. Usually not anything too impressive, just something missing from my collection, which is pretty small. A new toy is good for a summer of fun, but there are few with staying power for me.

I own imported rifles that I bought before the Import Ban on certain guns. Had I not done that, it would be harder and more expensive to buy them now.
So, buy anything you want and can afford. They may not always be there when you want them...

Also, their value climbed when they got banned.

I must admit I have this affliction, it's pretty much identical to what you describe.
Shooting/reloading is basically my only hobby that costs money and I am generally thrifty/careful financially in other areas.

Right now I'm trying to justify a CZ75, single action revolver, and/or lever gun "because they are iconic and I don't have one" when in reality I should be getting more ammo, probably.

I don't want to end up in a situation where stuff just sits in the safe, though. I keep a spreadsheet that includes the last time I fired each item I own and I make sure nothing waits more than 3-4 months without action.

My C&R license just ends up adding fuel to the fire because "I don't even have to leave the house, or arrange a transfer!"

Ahhh, see you have the wrong view of contentment. You see it as a place at the end of a certain road. It isn't. That place doesn't exist.

The road. THAT is contentment.

Do you know what I love? The chase. So do you. Or you wouldn't chase. Maybe it's guns. Or cars. Or (for my wife) virtual Star Wars trading cards. (Yes, she trades and pays for. . . . IMAGES FROM STAR WARS!!! Ugh.)

Once you realize it's the chase you enjoy, it take the pressure off and you can appreciate it better.

Recently I replaced my Chevelle with a 08 Mustang convertible. I looked at Mustang convertibles on about 8 different sites at least daily. DAILY! For 3 months. Found the one I wanted (and missed 2 others - boohoo) and jumped on it. I've LOOKED a few times in the 3 weeks since I found it, but I'm not NEEDING the chase. Because I got the chase. I enjoyed it. I conquered. Now it's time to go drive. . . if it ever gets warm and stops raining.

I own imported rifles that I bought before the Import Ban on certain guns. Had I not done that, it would be harder and more expensive to buy them now.
So, buy anything you want and can afford. They may not always be there when you want them...

Also, their value climbed when they got banned.
I’m looking for one that doesn’t come around often or the original that are going big bucks now.

I must admit I have this affliction, it's pretty much identical to what you describe.
Shooting/reloading is basically my only hobby that costs money and I am generally thrifty/careful financially in other areas.

Right now I'm trying to justify a CZ75, single action revolver, and/or lever gun "because they are iconic and I don't have one" when in reality I should be getting more ammo, probably.

I don't want to end up in a situation where stuff just sits in the safe, though. I keep a spreadsheet that includes the last time I fired each item I own and I make sure nothing waits more than 3-4 months without action.

My C&R license just ends up adding fuel to the fire because "I don't even have to leave the house, or arrange a transfer!"

I wanted a lever gun, so I got one. Now.....I have 2..

Why can I not be content with my inventory? I keep telling myself that if I just fill this void here, make an upgrade there, get another case of this ammo... then I’ll be good for a while. Then, inevatibly within a week after a purchase, the next ‘must have’gets stuck in my brain and I can’t shake it until I rationalize myself to death until I just buy it.

Some guys I shoot with go years with just a few basics. I don’t get it and am honestly impressed with their level of contentment.

I tried sticking to a budget, but that fell flat rather quickly. ‘Get it while you can’ !

It becomes more attainable when you've had to lose everything (shit relationship a few years ago) and build it back up somewhat. Ii find myself making (somewhat) better decisions now about what I buy etc.

About the only hard requirement though is I don't like stuff collecting dust in my safe. If it doesn't get shot over a year I'm only keeping it around if it meets a handful of exceptions. (heirloom, specific backup
role, etc). If it's there because "it sucks even slightly and I don't like shooting it that much" it gets put out to pasture.

If you want to save a shitload of money though find someone else who has "that" and politely bribe them with ammunition or lunch/dinner or something and shoot theirs instead. Or go to a rental place and rent their
gun. That way you know whether you REALLY want or need it, unless you've already owned one of X before... Dinner for two at any place that isn't stupid expensive will be far less money than you would have lost if you buy a dust collector. Or if you can, buy it used first, so you'd only lose the transactional costs of selling it to someone else.

-Mike

OP, maybe you like the act of buying itself, not so much what youre buying? You like the whole process of acquiring something new and it just happens that guns are your thing, so thats how you get your buying fix?

As far as firearms go, living in the People’s Republic Of Mass keeps me in a constant state of discontent. The rest of my life is pretty content.

I think this is it for me too. I would like to think that if I were in a free state there would not be so much pressure to hurry up and get what you can.

That way you know whether you REALLY want or need it, unless you've already owned one of X before...

This is very good advice for new shooters looking to build inventory.

Some guns that look like they'd be great to own/shoot are better at being looked at than shot.
After 35 years of purchases, I've found that the guns I fell in love with... multiplied. The others collect dust bunnies in the safe.

Try it before you buy it
is the number one way to build inventory and not waste a single precious dollar on a "great looking" dog of a gun.
Instead, you will have many more guns that you Love...

I think this is it for me too. I would like to think that if I were in a free state there would not be so much pressure to hurry up and get what you can.

I think this has a lot to do with the mindset. When that Massachusetts unicorn gun shows up in the classifieds there's that feeling of "now or never"...I think being in a free state takes some of that pressure off.

Any hobby is like this. Some are into the hardware itself, some just like using the hardware.

I used to think this 18 years ago but then over time figured out there's always a way around MA bullshit. It's also not worth hamstringing yourself based of the probability of stupid laws etc... For example I could have a
safe full of ARs with no sights on them and no ammo to feed them, and no optics... but what the hell good is that going to do me if I can't enjoy using them at the same time?

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom