• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is everything out of stock?

I stopped by cabelas today and didnt see any 9mm. Anyone know why?

Check shooting supply in westport mass........i think they had something on the wall a couple weeks ago.

I was at shooting supply yesterday just for a laugh at what they had for primers, they had two bricks of CCI 200 large rifle primer at $90 a box.

Stuff is in stock-just scarce and you occasionally have to adjust a bit what you're willing to pay for ammo. I'll pick up reasonably priced 9, 10, .38spcl variants, .357Mag, and .22LR variants whenever I see it. I need to find some .44spcl or .44mag-want the special, but am not looking hard for it. Maybe some .223/5.56, surplus 30-06, or 8mm too. Grabbed about 1K .22LR yesterday for 5.51 cpr. They still had a shitload left.

The small shops are really struggling to get ammo, but some do on occasion and I'll buy from those that aren't trying to rip people off.

Guns are plentiful. I've picked up two reasonably priced pistols thus far this month. I won't buy from shops trying to rip people off.

I was at shooting supply yesterday just for a laugh at what they had for primers, they had two bricks of CCI 200 large rifle primer at $90 a box.
They also had Varget and H322 for less than $30.00/pound with no limit of one per customer. I bought two of each powder, one of the overpriced large rifle primers (1000) and 200 small pistol magnum primers. We won't mention how much the SPM primers were... [shocked] why did I buy them? Short answer, because I kin. Real answer: Good deal on the powder, paid about double for the LRP and triple for the SPM. Was I happy? Yes. I spent about two hours time plus the gas for the round trip. If you only value your time @ $25.00/hr, with the gas, that would be about $60.00 for the trip. If I got there and bought nothing, that $60.00 would have just gotten me a nice ride/afternoon. The money/time spent would have been wasted as far as advancing my supply of reloading components.. Deciding to support a semi-lgs and dollar cost averaging the good deals and the bad (four additional pounds of powder at a reasonable price/1200 primers at a premium price) and a nice afternoon's ride, I jumped on them. I am happy. Nice shop, nice people, hope to get down there again when things get back to "normal"... YMMV.

Two weeks ago today I was at the range, there was a live fire session for the licensing class that was going on in the adjacent pistol range.

As people were making their way back up the trail to the classroom and I was packing up, some Karen comes over and asks me “do you know where to find 9mm ammo? I was told to ask today at class but forgot”. I was trying not to be rude but I just bust out laughing, I couldn’t help it. I politely told her no, I don’t know where you can find any. Wasn’t going to waste my time trying to explain it to someone who isn’t even licensed yet who was asking for a friend.

The wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I had been thinking about a 12ga bullpup so I started looking. I decided upon a RIA VRBP-100. Nope, out of stock everywhere. So I tried looking for some other brands. Nope, none of those to be found either. Any firearm that I found interesting was harder to find than an honest democrat. It seems that the internet cupboard is bare. Has anyone seen one of these in a local shop?

There are a couple of these available at gunbrokee, but at $80 over MSRP:

I was looking at their 20 gauge, but a) it's out of stock everywhere, and b) it doesn't seem to be legal in Massachusetts.

I ordered a dump trailer. If I'm lucky I will get delivery by March 2021

Currently waiting on some interior molded doors that normally take 2 to 3 weeks to get (ordered at end of Sept, the last updated ETA is now 12 weeks out)

Currently waiting on a large Harvey window order. At the time of order the ETA was stated as 5 weeks (the last updated ETA is now, also 12 weeks out)

FFS man! Piano wire and key rings. Guitar strings will also work in a pinch. Oh, how far we've fallen... [laugh]
Yeah, I'm gust not sure if I should go with a Top Tier string maker like Gibson/Fender/ D'Addario or go with a lower tier like Ernie Ball or Kona.
Plus, what's with the key rings? This is America. I want Carabiners...

1606671731032.png

Thinking of an 80% garrote build though... Ghost Garrote.

The small shops are really struggling to get ammo, but some do on occasion and I'll buy from those that aren't trying to rip people off.

Guns are plentiful. I've picked up two reasonably priced pistols thus far this month. I won't buy from shops trying to rip people off.

How do you know they are "trying to rip people off"? Do you know what they paid for the gun or ammo? If it is enough above pre-covid pricing does that constitute ripping people off? What is a reasonable profit for a gun shop to make? 20%? 10%? 0%? -20%? How do you know what it is and therefore make a determination.

I think it is safer to say you won't buy if YOU think the price is too high. I doubt you have the first clue what the market value of something is or what it costs to acquire.

Let me give you a VERY concrete example where I will not name names, but it is based on real numbers.

Gun has a dealer cost of $800
Gun has a MAP (minimum advertised price) of $900
Gun has a MSRP of $1000

pre-covid every gun store you went into would have this priced at $900. popular gun. supply and demand mostly in sync. sometimes we would run out. sometimes we would have a couple more than we wanted in stock, but overall a solid seller.

Today the gun, like ALL other semi auto handguns, is out of stock at every distributor. It is on allocation. Read this thread The reality of gun availability during ECR if you need a lesson on gun supply chain mechanics.

So getting this gun for a dealer is a total crap shoot. I am not a big box or four seasons, but I likely buy more guns from my primary distributor than 99% of the shops/dealers in MA. I have seen 2 of this gun since March from my distributor. I could have sold 50, but I have been able to get 2.

These is a nationwide shortage of this gun relative to demand. The current AVERAGE closing value on gunbroker over the last two weeks, including shipping is in excess of $1250. That is before you, the buyer, pay the receiving FFL their transfer fee. So $1275 is your best case out the door should you buy on gunbroker. LOTS of this gun are posted on gunbroker so we are not talking a small data sample. 10s and 10s of sales in the last two weeks.

So if I get this gun into stock, what price do I charge for it? $900? $1000? $1200? help me price the gun. I can't get guns to match demand. I cant sell 50 guns at $20 profit each to make $1000 because I cant get 50 guns to sell. Am I ripping you off if I offer you the gun for $1200 that you cannot buy online for under $1275? Or am I doing you a favor?

Now lets talk about where I get the gun from. Since I can't get it from my distributor I use non-traditional means to acquire it. I have scripts that scour the internet for shops advertising it and if a shop lists it for sale at $1000 do I grab it? I know it is worth $1250 on the open market which looks like a good deal. If I am a FUDD gun shop, I just sit back and go slowly out of business for lack of stock. But since I pay attention to the market, pricing, availability and can see something available under market value with good profit in it, I grab it. I then put in my case and offer it for sale. Am I trying to rip you off? How do you know? Or am I doing a service for my customer of acquiring what they want, for instant purchase, at an acquisition cost less than gunbroker, with no risk and everyone goes home happy?

Ammo, same story. Same problem. Stock from non-traditional and have some, or leave the shelves bare?

You have no clue if a dealer is "trying to rip you off". You just have a choice to buy or not buy. Attributing motivation requires mind reading or perfect knowledge which you don't have.

Currently waiting on some interior molded doors that normally take 2 to 3 weeks to get (ordered at end of Sept, the last updated ETA is now 12 weeks out)

Currently waiting on a large Harvey window order. At the time of order the ETA was stated as 5 weeks (the last updated ETA is now, also 12 weeks out)

Harvey didn’t do themselves any favors by switching distributors to lansing building products in the middle of all this. The distribution and warehouses are complete sh*t shows. We have product that’s been made and delivered to Quincy, but no one can find it in the warehouse. Not a good situation. But yeah, typical lead times have gone from 3 weeks to 6-8+, and we move a lot of windows for a small shop.

Last edited:
Maybe not long enough ... I'm an Obama era shooter :):)

There were a couple Obama shortages that were longer than this, depending on where you start this one from.

There was at least one where the price of lead went from ~$200 a ton to ~$2000. I think that one went a bit over a year.

How do you know they are "trying to rip people off"? Do you know what they paid for the gun or ammo? If it is enough above pre-covid pricing does that constitute ripping people off? What is a reasonable profit for a gun shop to make? 20%? 10%? 0%? -20%? How do you know what it is and therefore make a determination.

I think it is safer to say you won't buy if YOU think the price is too high. I doubt you have the first clue what the market value of something is or what it costs to acquire.

Let me give you a VERY concrete example where I will not name names, but it is based on real numbers.

Gun has a dealer cost of $800
Gun has a MAP (minimum advertised price) of $900
Gun has a MSRP of $1000

pre-covid every gun store you went into would have this priced at $900. popular gun. supply and demand mostly in sync. sometimes we would run out. sometimes we would have a couple more than we wanted in stock, but overall a solid seller.

Today the gun, like ALL other semi auto handguns, is out of stock at every distributor. It is on allocation. Read this thread The reality of gun availability during ECR if you need a lesson on gun supply chain mechanics.

So getting this gun for a dealer is a total crap shoot. I am not a big box or four seasons, but I likely buy more guns from my primary distributor than 99% of the shops/dealers in MA. I have seen 2 of this gun since March from my distributor. I could have sold 50, but I have been able to get 2.

These is a nationwide shortage of this gun relative to demand. The current AVERAGE closing value on gunbroker over the last two weeks, including shipping is in excess of $1250. That is before you, the buyer, pay the receiving FFL their transfer fee. So $1275 is your best case out the door should you buy on gunbroker. LOTS of this gun are posted on gunbroker so we are not talking a small data sample. 10s and 10s of sales in the last two weeks.

So if I get this gun into stock, what price do I charge for it? $900? $1000? $1200? help me price the gun. I can't get guns to match demand. I cant sell 50 guns at $20 profit each to make $1000 because I cant get 50 guns to sell. Am I ripping you off if I offer you the gun for $1200 that you cannot buy online for under $1275? Or am I doing you a favor?

Now lets talk about where I get the gun from. Since I can't get it from my distributor I use non-traditional means to acquire it. I have scripts that scour the internet for shops advertising it and if a shop lists it for sale at $1000 do I grab it? I know it is worth $1250 on the open market which looks like a good deal. If I am a FUDD gun shop, I just sit back and go slowly out of business for lack of stock. But since I pay attention to the market, pricing, availability and can see something available under market value with good profit in it, I grab it. I then put in my case and offer it for sale. Am I trying to rip you off? How do you know? Or am I doing a service for my customer of acquiring what they want, for instant purchase, at an acquisition cost less than gunbroker, with no risk and everyone goes home happy?

Ammo, same story. Same problem. Stock from non-traditional and have some, or leave the shelves bare?

You have no clue if a dealer is "trying to rip you off". You just have a choice to buy or not buy. Attributing motivation requires mind reading or perfect knowledge which you don't have.
Another way to look at it is from a simple cash flow model. A gun shop needs to achieve a certain cash flow to stay in business. They have fixed costs like rent, electrical, heating, insurance (high because gunz bad), etc. They also need to make enough to keep food on the table and possibly pay for some help. So let’s say, to keep it simple, those fixed costs are $6,000 a month. If he sells 300 guns a month, he needs to clear at least an average of $20 per gun to meet his minimum cash flow requirements. Now he can only get 50 guns a month to sell, so he now needs to clear an average of $120 a gun to stay in business. So when he charges you $120 over MAP instead of $20 he’s not trying to rip you off, he’s just trying to stay in business.

what's with the key rings? This is America. I want Carabiners...
1606671731032.png
Yahbut most people settle for "carabiners" (<= note scare quotes)
which are "not intended for throat cutting purposes".

ONLY 1 LEFT OMG won' be getting one for Christmas
But without it,
you won't know what time Christmas comes.

De plane, boss! De plane!

I can't find garrotes anywhere...

If you're not making your own garrote, you're wrong
Plus, you don't have to register it if you make your own. Its part of that loophole.

Back
Top Bottom