• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is Gun ok at Home in MA without LTC?

All rhetoric aside, contact Gun Owners Action League (GOAL). Ask / leave message for Jon Greene. He'll give you the proper citation for what you're asking about.

Totally legal. Totally ok. The second amendment and supremacy clause have you absolutely covered, without any room for argument.

Unfortunately, the problem with Massachusetts is that they just don't care.

Is Chapter 140 Sec. 129 C a better case than anything found under Chapter 269?
This only applies to NON-residents of MA and low capacity long guns only.

Totally legal. Totally ok. The second amendment and supremacy clause have you absolutely covered, without any room for argument.

Unfortunately, the problem with Massachusetts is that they just don't care.
The Constitution is null and void in MA!

The McDonald court stated that:

“It is important to keep in mind that Heller, while striking down a law that prohibited the possession of handguns in the home, recognized that the right to keep and bear arms is not ‘a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.’”

figure that out

McDonald v. City of Chicago
…by the Second Amendment in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008). (Anticipating this finding, the plaintiffs in McDonald v. City of Chicago filed suit on the same morning that the decision in Heller was announced.) The crucial question, however, was whether the Second Amendment is applicable to the states and…

Last edited:
In 2020, is a Gun in a home OK, when the resident does not have a LTC ( in the State of MA). Scenario is Dad wants to give Son ( Unlicensed) a Gun for his Home only. Some prior threads appear dated? I thought there might be a recent change on this?
The answer to that is what you can afford in Lawyer's fees.

The McDonald court stated that:

“It is important to keep in mind that Heller, while striking down a law that prohibited the possession of handguns in the home, recognized that the right to keep and bear arms is not ‘a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.’”

figure that out

McDonald v. City of Chicago
…by the Second Amendment in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008). (Anticipating this finding, the plaintiffs in McDonald v. City of Chicago filed suit on the same morning that the decision in Heller was announced.) The crucial question, however, was whether the Second Amendment is applicable to the states and…
How is it not? If there are no written limits in state/fed constitutions for the RKBA's, how is the above statement correct?

It is like the first amendment argument, that you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater. You can if you are an actor.

... Some prior threads appear dated? I thought there might be a recent change on this?
Yeah, no.
There's no change on this.

Dont let them in your house! If they try to come in just yell out the window "I have a gun!" They will go away.
And then come back with a SWAT team and a search warrant allowing no-knock entry.
That's why the pro's yell "I have a gun, and I know how to use it!".

Don’t ask, don’t tell.
In real life,
the ye olde NES wisdom that's on-point is actually:

Play stupid games,​
win stupid prizes.​

But wait, there's more.

(While OP was asking because he thought the law changed),
if the individuals actually do it anyhow,
then if the yout does have to repel home invaders with the gun,
then Dad is also getting jacked up, for providing it to him.

There are 21,305 guns kept in homes without any kind of license. Your odds are pretty good. Jack.
Yahbut 21,185.692 of those guys are sailing through life oblivious.

It never even occurs to them to ask on some heavily monitored public forum like NES.

Well ya, it’s a double barrel.
What's the over/under on that?

It used to be you didn't need a LTC, but if you had a FID you could get permission from the licensing authority to buy a handgun on a FID to be kept in the home, that was a way back in the day to get a handgun for home use only, but even then there was no law prohibiting ownership in the home.

this was changed after some gangbanger had a gun in Mom's apartment in the 'hood, a younger sibling got hold of it, bad things happened, and when the dust settled they could not hang the hood rat or Mom because there was no law prohibiting ownership in the home without a license.

How many elderly people let whatever license they had , be it LTC or the old lifetime FID's expire and ended up criminals in their own home for lack of a document?

There was just an incident recently where some agency went into an elderly persons home for some reason and guns were found.... and you know the rest

Last edited:
It is like the first amendment argument, that you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater. You can if you are an actor.
I always enjoyed this argument. Does the government physically limit my ability to yell fire in a crowded theater? No. I have the full vocal ability to form the word and am instructed not to do it. Guns should be the same way. Unlimited right to own and if I do something stupid, I pay the price.

also what if there actually is a fire while I’m watching n a crowded theater? Should I just pretend I don’t see it? Asking the brain trust for future reference.

I always enjoyed this argument. Does the government physically limit my ability to yell fire in a crowded theater? No. I have the full vocal ability to form the word and am instructed not to do it. Guns should be the same way. Unlimited right to own and if I do something stupid, I pay the price.

also what if there actually is a fire while I’m watching n a crowded theater? Should I just pretend I don’t see it? Asking the brain trust for future reference.

Well, if it were me, I'd quietly make my way to the exit, then yell, "FIRE!"

Depending upon the movie, I might get my soda refilled, first.

Have your son take a safety course and apply for his License to Carry. In the mean time he can carry pepper spray without a license. Pepper spray is highly effective and should be carried by those who carry firearms. Using deadly force in Massachusetts outside the front door of your 'Castle' needs to be of sound judgement or you can land yourself in jail for decades on a murder/manslaughter charge. The moment you let someone know you have a gun without threat of imminent danger you've just committed aggravated assault. In Massachusetts you cannot draw your weapon or even let someone know you have it unless you can justify the use of deadly force. Welcome to Massachusetts.

That is why peppers spray is effective, especially outside the 4 walls of your 'castle'. FYI: Massachusetts doesn't recognize your yard, car, or garage as your 'castle'. The Castle Doctrine only has merit inside the walls of your home. If you're on the front stoop it is the same as being 10 miles away. If someone is giving you bad 'vibes' in the streets and you take effective measures to create safe distance and they still try to get close yelling "Stay back you're scaring me and if you come closer I'm going to pepper spray you" is a good deterrent and can help diffuse a situation whether they had nefarious intentions or not.

I also highly recommend a DIY security system. I just invested in Simplisafe this past week and I did compare it to a lot it's competitiors (Cove, Nest (discontinued), Ring) and it's 50% off right now because of black friday. You can have it hooked up to their company for first responder response or you can just have it disconnected from their service. It does come with a 95 db and 105 db siren (upgrade which can be mounted outside) which is very helpful in alerting you and hopefully scaring them off. I just bought one and I'm going to install it in the basement and first floor. It also has an optional 'glass breakage' sensor that can detect the unique sound of glass breaking. They also have traditional sensors for when a door or window opens. Honestly a security system of some kind is needed if you have guns because they can be stolen. All it takes is a friend of a friend or a nosy repairman to spread the word that you have a huge safe.

Last edited:
How many elderly people let whatever license they had , be it LTC or the old lifetime FID's expire and ended up criminals in their own home for lack of a document?
IIRC, possession in the home with an expired LTC is a civil infraction in MA, not criminal, unless you've become a prohibited person, had your LTC revoked, had your renewal denied, or the like.

Pepper spray is highly effective and should be carried by those who carry firearms. Using deadly force in Massachusetts outside the front door of your 'Castle' needs to be of sound judgement or you can land yourself in jail for decades on a murder/manslaughter charge. The moment you let someone know you have a gun without threat of imminent danger you've just committed aggravated assault. In Massachusetts you cannot draw your weapon or even let someone know you have it unless you can justify the use of deadly force. Welcome to Massachusetts.

That is why peppers spray is effective, especially outside the 4 walls of your 'castle'. FYI: Massachusetts doesn't recognize your yard, car, or garage as your 'castle'. The Castle Doctrine only has merit inside the walls of your home. If you're on the front stoop it is the same as being 10 miles away. If someone is giving you bad 'vibes' in the streets and you take effective measures to create safe distance and they still try to get close yelling "Stay back you're scaring me and if you come closer I'm going to pepper spray you" is a good deterrent and can help diffuse a situation whether they had nefarious intentions or not.
The next time you brandish that opinion,
you should incorporate the fact that a Massachusetts court has ruled that
pepper spray is a per-se dangerous weapon.

Is the son's house classified as a sanctuary residence?
How can you tell?
l102-0795-ebt-accepted-animated-led-sign.gif

Back
Top Bottom