Is hunting legal? Resident looks to stop bow hunting within Worcester city limits

Interesting. I had a client that worked in Waltham adjacent to a big piece of state land. Every day he sat at his desk watching the deer on the edge of the property. He killed one in bow season with a permit etc. People went bananas in the office park.

I'm picturing the office's kitchen fridge stuffed with venison with the hooves still on it.

My understanding is that it was ALWAYS illegal to hunt in Worcester.

That said there are portions on the border near Tatnuck and the Holden reserviors that i know people hunt.

But honestly, I was just told that by most older guys I learned from.....who likely never even checked...so who knows.

I thought I heard once that you can't shoot a firearm in the city, nothing to do with hunting, or ALSO including hunting I should say.

That might make sense, since this is now targeting bow hunting.

There is a perfectly logical reason to allow for in city limits bow hunting. Deer move to where they are safe during hunting season. That means cities. Obviously there can't be bow hunting in the most densely populated areas.
When I lived in NC, one need only get an urban hunting permit to bow hunt deer in city limits. Imagine using your kids' jungle gym as a deer stand as a deer crossed your back yard. No driving for hours to get to hunting allowed spaces. REDUCED CARBON FOOT PRINT!

There is a perfectly logical reason to allow for in city limits bow hunting. Deer move to where they are safe during hunting season. That means cities. Obviously there can't be bow hunting in the most densely populated areas.
When I lived in NC, one need only get an urban hunting permit to bow hunt deer in city limits. Imagine using your kids' jungle gym as a deer stand as a deer crossed your back yard. No driving for hours to get to hunting allowed spaces. REDUCED CARBON FOOT PRINT!
Did that in CT. Shed or garage roofs were OK...but you end up looking like a weirdo, and might get the cops called. But I did kill a few deer off lady's tall shed.

The best one ever....one person had a detatched garage no one lived in, with a finished upstairs that had a small walkout deck over looking the salt marsh where the deer walked thru. I checked the property out and was like.......honestly you have no where good to put a treestand...........cause its mostly marsh back there...........but................ if you let me sit on that deck above the garage, I will kill a ton of deer. The lady was like........here's the key code, just let me know when you intend to hunt. Ill put some drinks and water in the kitchen fridge, feel free to use that and the bathroom in the upstairs if you need to. SCORE.

I spent a lot of mornings and afternoons on the that deck for 2 hunting seasons and shot a lot of deer from it. I did have to get a small plastic milk carton to stand on so the railing didn't hit my bow limb. But other than that none of the neighbors could see me and it was fantastic. Hell it was more than fantastic......I could sit there and see deer coming in from a good while away and was able to sit inside most times just watching out the slider, didn't even have to sit in the cold. And if it rained I just went there and hung out.

Unfortunately the third year she got it rented out..........Ill miss it forever.

... Shed or garage roofs were OK...but you end up looking like a weirdo, and might get the cops called. ....

...one person had a detatched garage no one lived in, with a finished upstairs that had a small walkout deck over looking the salt marsh where the deer walked thru. ... SCORE.

I spent a lot of mornings and afternoons on the that deck for 2 hunting seasons and shot a lot of deer from it. ...

Unfortunately the third year she got it rented out..........Ill miss it forever.
LmpwZw

Many of the towns and cities that have some kind of prohibition addresses the discharge of firearms, One does not discharge an arrow, and arrow is released so the by law or ordinance does not apply. Carlisle amended their by law to include the release of an arrow.

Bow hunting is no problem legally speaking in Worcester as it simply follows the setback rules. You won’t find any love from the animal loving locals though.

Discharge of firearms or hunting with firearms has been illegal in Worcester for quite some time. There are a few 5-10 acre parcels in Worcester that can be bow hunted. The land by Tatnuck is purely water supply land and private land and the water supply land is a absolutely hard block for even trespassing. There is the gwlt land around which actually has no signage or rules against hunting but again the locals would freak out if they saw a bow hunter in Nick’s woods, Bovenzi park, or God’s Acre. The owners of all the lands are the City of Worcester, Greater Worcester Land Trust, or the Worcester Conservation Commission.

Last edited:
It's funny that this guy's concern is hunting within the city limits, which as has been pointed out would be bow only as it's illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits, yet on a regular basis, firearms are discharged within the city limits.

It's funny that this guy's concern is hunting within the city limits, which as has been pointed out would be bow only as it's illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits, yet on a regular basis, firearms are discharged within the city limits.
OP is after deer.

The other "hunting" you reference is for other....animals. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom