• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is it just me or are there more MA staties out there?

Up until a few years ago, troopers assigned to the "elite" Troops E & F did NOT get take-home cruisers.
Instead, they got an extra $450 a month in their pay for personal transportation costs. [rolleyes]
So in effect, the state was paying them to buy their own personal cars for commuting.
Since this ended, they take their assigned cruisers home, no matter where in Mass they live.
That's why it's not unusual if you happen to see a Turnpike "E" cruiser in Marshfield or an maybe an airport "F" cruiser in Dalton.
Some of these troopers have ridiculous commutes.
Just because you live in say Avon, you may get assigned to "B" Troop in Russell and be forced to make a 100 mile+ commute.
It happens way more often than you'd think.

Up until a few years ago, troopers assigned to the "elite" Troops E & F did NOT get take-home cruisers.
Instead, they got an extra $450 a month in their pay for personal transportation costs. [rolleyes]
So in effect, the state was paying them to buy their own personal cars for commuting.
Since this ended, they take their assigned cruisers home, no matter where in Mass they live.
That's why it's not unusual if you happen to see a Turnpike "E" cruiser in Marshfield or an maybe an airport "F" cruiser in Dalton.
Some of these troopers have ridiculous commutes.
Just because you live in say Avon, you may get assigned to "B" Troop in Russell and be forced to make a 100 mile+ commute.
It happens way more often than you'd think.

That is accurate information. I don't know if I would regard either E or F Troops as elite, but they are funded by the Dept of Transportation and MassPort respectively. Their operating budgets do not come out of the MSP operating budget.

That is accurate information. I don't know if I would regard either E or F Troops as elite, but they are funded by the Dept of Transportation and MassPort respectively. Their operating budgets do not come out of the MSP operating budget.

The troopers that work out of them consider them "elite" troops because these are the troops that everybody else wants to be in.
Most of the people working out of these troops are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, that's why you rarely see the younger guys on the Pike or at the airport. These are considered "cushy" assignments, and you have to work your way up the ladder and gain some seniority before you can get transferred into one.

I drive from Fairhaven to the Cape for work. I pass one about twice a week who always appears to be asleep in a woods covered path between 195E and 195W.

don't be a hater... they have to sleep during their shift, otherwise they will be too tired to work all those paid details at double time and a half four days a week. How else can they make their $150k a year.

If you think about it central ma and western MA have many small towns that have small or no full time police depts so I can see a need for troopers there. I can see their need for traffic enforcement on Interstates and Major highways but really we don't need THAT many revenue officers... I mean Staties on the highways.

Last edited:
Does the MSP have a mandatory retirement age? On Friday, I passed a trooper manning a speed trap by the Arnold Arboretum that who was easily in his late 60's

This

Has anyone ever seen a cruiser traveling at or below the speed limit?

Yes. From time to time on 495 in the morning, I see cruisers at 65.000 MPH in the middle lane - I think it amuses them to see everyone who blows past them and immediately slams on the brakes in the left lane.

The troopers that work out of them consider them "elite" troops because these are the troops that everybody else wants to be in.
Most of the people working out of these troops are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, that's why you rarely see the younger guys on the Pike or at the airport. These are considered "cushy" assignments, and you have to work your way up the ladder and gain some seniority before you can get transferred into one.

This is accurate information again with regard to the fact that service in E and especially F Troops are considered highly desirable assignments by many. I wouldn't characterize them as elite in the sense that I generally regard elite units. Certainly the CAT Teams assigned to troop headquarters, the STOP Team, the SERT Team and possibly the Dive Team would fall under those categories. E and F may be preferred assignments but carry no special prestige the way the above mentioned units do within the Department. They are considered good assignments, however. Probably the worst perceived assignment is in B Troop which covers western Mass. Many personnel from the central and eastern part of the state view assignment there as bad, but on the other hand some people from western Mass really like it and spend their entire career there.

With regard to another poster, there is no mandatory retirement age. It used to be age 55, but the courts ruled when some people sued that the mandatory retirement age was discriminatory. Don't blame the staties for that one, blame the courts. There was one Trooper assigned to F Troop who was in his early 70's !

Last edited:
This is accurate information again with regard to the fact that service in E and especially F Troops are considered highly desirable assignments by many. I wouldn't characterize them as elite in the sense that I generally regard elite units. Certainly the CAT Teams assigned to troop headquarters, the STOP Team, the SERT Team and possibly the Dive Team would fall under those categories. E and F may be preferred assignments but carry no special prestige the way the above mentioned units do within the Department. They are considered good assignments, however. Probably the worst perceived assignment is in B Troop which covers western Mass. Many personnel from the central and eastern part of the state view assignment there as bad, but on the other hand some people from western Mass really like it and spend their entire career there.

With regard to another poster, there is no mandatory retirement age. It used to be age 55, but the courts ruled when some people sued that the mandatory retirement age was discriminatory. Don't blame the staties for that one, blame the courts. There was one Trooper assigned to F Troop who was in his early 70's !

I wouldn't be surprised if the trooper that I saw was in his 70's.

The state police marine unit needs to go away, The Boston Police are the "Harbor Master" for Boston Harbor by statute, The Charles River and Mystic River are under the The Executive Office of Energy andEnvironmental Affairs. That puts that area under the Environemnatal Police. So the State Police serve no purpose there.
Oh, As to the Merger, Take a look at the staffing at stations that the MDC ran and look at the staffing levels now, Good example MDC station Wachusett Res, 5 patrols and a desk officer, now 1 patrol from the Holden Barracks. So the numbers game is bullshit.

As to the personally assigned take home vehicles, Money is actually saved (Except for the long commutes) 1 person is responsible for that vehicle, only one driver with one style of driving, no one else to blame when vehicle is damaged, One person is responsible to make appointments for Preventive maintainance. This allows vehicles to last longer, so that you are not replacing the fleet as often. Then when the vehicle starts to get into the time when repairs are becoming more frequent, the car gets replaced.

I know that some you can not understand that.

I've heard that argument put forth in the second paragraph a zillion times Joe, and I still don't buy it and never will. As far as I am concerned it is a pork barrel perk. There are far too many agencies that run their vehicles 24/7, rack up a couple hundred thousand miles on them, and then get rid of them. I know that is the argument you are putting forth is the same one the MSP brings up every time somebody in EOPSS or the state legislature brings up the subject. Oh yes then there is the clothing allowance that is paid when personnel are in jobs that do not require wearing a uniform. I wish someone would explain to me why people in non-investigatory assignments don't have to wear uniforms (which they get absolutely free of charge including replacements) and get an allowance that pays them to wear civilian clothes. I'm talking about people in admin positions at GHQ and staff positions elsewhere. Tell me why someone who works in administrative services or supply gets to wear civvies? i've never gotten a good explanation on that one.

I wouldn't say the numbers game is bullshit Joe. I suppose that it never occurred to you that one reason that Field Services doesn't have as much manpower on the streets, is precisely because they have been undermanned. I can't address the specifics of the Wachusett Reservoir, but IMO the merger has only increased expenditures and in the long run and did not save anyone any money, because of the salary and benefit package that was offered. Consolidation does not always bring about reduced costs or increased efficiency, but that is just my opinion. I am sure that the leaders of our great Commonwealth have a different slant on it.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that it was the other way around, and the gestapo actually chose to model their uniform after what the MSP was wearing back in the 30s.

In other words, the troopers didn't dress up like Nazis. The Nazis dressed up like Mass state troopers.

"The Departed" didn't help this image much either.

Actually the merger caused that lawsuit, The Registry, Capital, and MDC Police, were all Civil Service with mandatory out at 65. Alot of those guys came on later in life planning on the 65 retirement. When the merger went through, the State Police tried to toss a bunch of folks and they filed the lawsuit. As it was a change in work conditions. That opened up the other arguement of discrimination due to age. The typical State Police, rip them out the vent window mentality, caused that.

You are correct once again Joe, I had forgotten the specifics. I also think there was a lawsuit by some people who went on disability some as long as ten years , were reinstated and then told they had to retire because they were overage.

The biggest unintended consequence of eliminating a mandatory retirement age, was the fact that a lot of commissioned officers (the designation that the MSP itself gives to Lts and above) stay on forever. This has stagnated promotions and thwarted upward mobility.

I have also been told another unintended consequence was when the troopers could live at home, the divorce rate went up!
Why is that? I'd have thought it would go the opposite way.

iThe only incident that really rubbed me the wrong way is when a lowell cop pulled me over, once I was ticketed he asked that i turn on my radar detector, i did what i asked thinking it was a odd request. He took his radar gun and blasted it directly into the detector, dick move and a destruction of property still pisses me off to this day 6 years later
And you didn't file a complaint why?

Think of what would happen if everyone would just not violate traffic laws.
Then the troopers would start pulling you over for ONE mile per hour over the speed limit, going through yellow lights, etc. They'd find other things to bust you for.

Has anyone ever seen a cruiser traveling at or below the speed limit?
Yup, and every ****ing moron on the road starts sweating and going "OMG - the popo is going 60; I better do 60 and not pass him so he won't ticket me!". I'd like to have a rocket launcher under my front grill to get every one of those idiots the hell off of the road and out of my way - I have no fear of passing a cop doing the speed limit.

Yeah but when you can cruise in at 115mph its not so ridiculous. [laugh]

Yep, the MSP are by far the biggest road hazard around. They should paint racing stripes and advertisements on the cars, they already have the big number on roof so they are at least heading in the right direction.

Yup, and every ****ing moron on the road starts sweating and going "OMG - the popo is going 60; I better do 60 and not pass him so he won't ticket me!". I'd like to have a rocket launcher under my front grill to get every one of those idiots the hell off of the road and out of my way - I have no fear of passing a cop doing the speed limit.

I had a neighbor who was a Trooper. He told me he would intentionally drive down the expressway going 55 in the middle lane and wait for someone to pass him. Then he'd pull that person over. His argument was that he was going the speed limit, so if you passed him, then you were speeding. I'm glad I moved.

I had a neighbor who was a Trooper. He told me he would intentionally drive down the expressway going 55 in the middle lane and wait for someone to pass him. Then he'd pull that person over. His argument was that he was going the speed limit, so if you passed him, then you were speeding. I'm glad I moved.
That's about the only time you will see a trooper going less than 100 MPH, when he wants to be a dickhead.

was driving to hanover today on rt 3 south, there was a trooper on the grass right after exit 15 off ramp facing the highway in a pullout position. Only problem was his head was back and he was zonked the F out sleeping hahah

I had a strange interaction with a trooper about 3 or 4 months ago. maybe mark056 or someone else could shed some light on it.

I was on the ramp from rt 1 n to rt 128 n. About a third of the way around the loop, it merges with another ramp and I had a yield sign. I look over and theres a statie coming so I brake ( because I have the yield) and he brakes. Then I stop and now he stops. So I think "...ok, I guess Ill go ,lol". I go, he's behind me, and before we make it to 128 he lights me up. I pull to the side and he comes up to the car and says "Hey Jimmy" , like he knows me or something. Then he asks "Is the last digit of your registration a zero or an "O" as in Oscar?" Im thinking why is he asking me, he should know better than I. To tell the truth I always assumed it was an "O" but I wasnt sure and told him so.

He tells me that he has a computer in the car and the new system flagged my plate because the last digit isnt supposed to be a zero or an "O". He asks to see the registration and then he says "you own the car, right?" and I say yeah. He says "how long has it been registered that way?" .I say 8-10 years maybe. He says "OK thank you" and he stops traffic and lets me go.

Just thought the whole thing was strange, and felt his story might of been b.s. I drive a crappy looking car and have always felt it might attract attention from the police because of that . My sis has a friend who is a police officer and his theory is that someone with a ratty looking car usually has more issues than just a ratty looking car. I have to say the statie was very polite and the whole thing probably only lasted 2 minutes, tops, so not much to complain about other than being stopped for no apparent reason.

Does this sound strange or is it just me?

I've noticed the opposite, I travel 495 south to 24 and they are not sitting there underneath the bridges radaring as much as previous years

I had a strange interaction with a trooper about 3 or 4 months ago. maybe mark056 or someone else could shed some light on it.

I was on the ramp from rt 1 n to rt 128 n. About a third of the way around the loop, it merges with another ramp and I had a yield sign. I look over and theres a statie coming so I brake ( because I have the yield) and he brakes. Then I stop and now he stops. So I think "...ok, I guess Ill go ,lol". I go, he's behind me, and before we make it to 128 he lights me up. I pull to the side and he comes up to the car and says "Hey Jimmy" , like he knows me or something. Then he asks "Is the last digit of your registration a zero or an "O" as in Oscar?" Im thinking why is he asking me, he should know better than I. To tell the truth I always assumed it was an "O" but I wasnt sure and told him so.

He tells me that he has a computer in the car and the new system flagged my plate because the last digit isnt supposed to be a zero or an "O". He asks to see the registration and then he says "you own the car, right?" and I say yeah. He says "how long has it been registered that way?" .I say 8-10 years maybe. He says "OK thank you" and he stops traffic and lets me go.

Just thought the whole thing was strange, and felt his story might of been b.s. I drive a crappy looking car and have always felt it might attract attention from the police because of that . My sis has a friend who is a police officer and his theory is that someone with a ratty looking car usually has more issues than just a ratty looking car. I have to say the statie was very polite and the whole thing probably only lasted 2 minutes, tops, so not much to complain about other than being stopped for no apparent reason.

Does this sound strange or is it just me?

IIRC from when I lived in Mass, the last digit corresponds with the month that your registration expires. IE, 0 for October, 9 for September, and so on.

Yep, the MSP are by far the biggest road hazard around. They should paint racing stripes and advertisements on the cars, they already have the big number on roof so they are at least heading in the right direction.

I don't care about the ones going 115... they get out of the way. It's the ones rolling-roadblocking the highway at 60 mph in the left lane that are the road hazard.

-Mike

About a month ago, one of the NES forum members and I were in Toby Keith's in Foxboro when a few of these newly graduated "troopers" where there celebrating. One of them copped a SEVERE attitude with the member I was with for no apparent reason. I ended up saying something to the "trooper". It could have gotten ugly.

TOTAL ATTITUDE!

Fortunately the a few of the others were decent. Lets hope the other ~200 are decent.

But I have seen more and more on the road.

In all fairness to the Ma Staties if the speed limit is 55 then he's just doing his job. [thinking]

This.

I've never really given a second thought to being pulled over by MSP in MA because the only time I ever see them, they are running no lights and pulling away from me at about the speed of light.

Right. the MSP are their own worse enemies. When do you most often see the MSP? out while they are doing traffic enforcement or driving. Do they drive safe? Not as safe as you would think. Do they park their cruisers in dangerous spots while using the radar? Yep, thats a somewhat common sight. Do they chase people with no lights (at all) on at 2 am on route 3? yes, i almost got taken out by one of those.

Right. the MSP are their own worse enemies. When do you most often see the MSP? out while they are doing traffic enforcement or driving. Do they drive safe? Not as safe as you would think. Do they park their cruisers in dangerous spots while using the radar? Yep, thats a somewhat common sight. Do they chase people with no lights (at all) on at 2 am on route 3? yes, i almost got taken out by one of those.

I honestly think a few of them have a death wish with the way they drive and park the cars.

The worst one was this guy on rte 2 westbound, around the shirley area, he was parked in the BDL with all his lights off and he was LIDARing people that drove past him.... not by standing outside his car in front of or behind it, but he had his legs hanging out the side of the car with the door partially open.... full on lazebag mode. it was very late at night and it was moonless, dark as hell. I basically didn't see the guy until I was right on top of him. If I was an old man dragging my tire over the rumble strip a little bit I would have torn his legs and the door of his cruiser off, that's how close he was to the road.

The only other one that came close was the MSP bike cop on 495 playing rolling roadblock. He was SWERVING between the middle and left lanes at less than the speed limit (65) and trying to prevent anyone from passing him. I tried to pass him when he deeked way to the right but he chirped his siren at me and gave me a dirty look, so I just slowed way down and pulled back behind him, then lumbered in the right lane and let him harass someone else. The whole thing was absurd.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom