• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is my general hunting spot ruined?

Nature called and my body had no choice but to answer...
Yes, I took a shit in the woods but walked about 100 yards off the beating path and buried it.

Is my general area of hunting ruined?!
Last deer I shot I took a piss next to where I was sitting about 10 minutes before the deer walked in. My wife's first deer she shot.....same thing....nature called only a few minutes before the deer came by.

I know it's not the same as a dump but......you sure didn't ruin the whole spot imo.

There will be impact. A deer's nose is often underestimated by hunters. They can pick off your breath at a 1/4 mile. Of you drop a stink bomb, even of buried, it will have an impact. Hell just your ground scent from walking the 100 yards will have an impact.

How much? Well that depends on how pressured the deer are.. Heavily pressured animals will absolutely avoid anywhere they detect human scent. Especially where it's not common to encounter it, like off a trail.

Do you write off the spot.. Well no. But I wouldn't expect to see any mature animals walking by. Unless they get pushed by someone else, which could happen if you're in the right spot.

There is a lot happening in the woods during gun season. Animals get pushed around. But of it were archery I would write the spot off until next year.

I was on my way out to my stand a few years back when I came across a guy who had set up a ground blind a few feet off the main trail. The dude was sitting there heating up a can of soup with one of those little stoves that sounds like a jet engine. I could smell the soup and hear the stove when I was at least a hundred yards away. I would imagine the deer smelled it miles away.
My stand was about a 15 min walk from him and I sat there from noon until dark and never saw so much as a bird or a squirrel. Every now and then I swore I could still smell minestrone wafting in on the breeze but it might have been my imagination.

Whats your general hunting spot look like? Lot of human interaction or no? Got a big doe saturday after smoking 5 marlboros and taking a leak out of my tree stand, but i was also 300 yard away from houses

Maybe you should bottle this, make a fortune. "Piss and Cigarettes: Scents for Trophy Bucks". Maybe in the more equitable hunting spots you can bottle Menthol Cigarettes and Piss.

One day I got into my spot well before sunup, and waited, and waited. About 9:00, some clown comes bumbling in, and plops his ass about 75 yards from me. I was going to bitch at him, but realized he was downwind and probably ruined my spot anyway: so I pulled my pants down and dropped a deuce. I hate to say, I didn't bury it or my TP. I hope I wrecked his day.

Yes, I took a shit in the woods but walked about 100 yards off the beating path and buried it.

I'd be careful of anything you touch on that path.

There will be impact. A deer's nose is often underestimated by hunters. They can pick off your breath at a 1/4 mile. Of you drop a stink bomb, even of buried, it will have an impact. Hell just your ground scent from walking the 100 yards will have an impact.

How much? Well that depends on how pressured the deer are.. Heavily pressured animals will absolutely avoid anywhere they detect human scent. Especially where it's not common to encounter it, like off a trail.

Do you write off the spot.. Well no. But I wouldn't expect to see any mature animals walking by. Unless they get pushed by someone else, which could happen if you're in the right spot.

There is a lot happening in the woods during gun season. Animals get pushed around. But of it were archery I would write the spot off until next year.
I think your being a bit too serious, it all depends on where you hunt and how close to humanity you are. Deer get used to all sorts of everyday things.

I would never write off a spot or assume a decent deer wouldn't go by because someone took a shit 100 yards away....that's nuts. For all we know the smell from that shit taken 100 yards away could funnel a deer towards the stand if the deer comes in a certain way. Besides, Archery season is when the bucks are least bothered by stuff like that because they are running does. Your active scent that day in the stand, is probably the most detected thing when hunting, deer will absolutely smell that if you have the wrong wind. Wind direction is key.

When I hunted urban CT the mexican landscapers used to shit and piss everywhere and I shot deer everyday out of the same yard. Big bucks too. Scent didn't matter down there pretty much....some deer absolutely knew you were there but they came in and ate acorns anyway. They were used to humans.

I was on my way out to my stand a few years back when I came across a guy who had set up a ground blind a few feet off the main trail. The dude was sitting there heating up a can of soup with one of those little stoves that sounds like a jet engine. I could smell the soup and hear the stove when I was at least a hundred yards away. I would imagine the deer smelled it miles away.
My stand was about a 15 min walk from him and I sat there from noon until dark and never saw so much as a bird or a squirrel. Every now and then I swore I could still smell minestrone wafting in on the breeze but it might have been my imagination.

Damn, that was you? That was Progresso BTW……I would have shared if you haven’t been so snooty.😆😆😆😆😆

Bob

Deer have excellent noses that we can't even comprehend how well they work. But it depends on the area we hunt, the deer that are there, what they are used to, etc. Deer in a suburban/rural area are used to people scent and are less likely to be spooked by any unusual smells. My scent is the last thing I worry about when I hunt.
Big Woods Deer are a different story.

I dunno.

The way I smell on bike rides is rather notorious. Yet I still ride RIGHT UP TO them. In fact, it's funny: the worse I smell the more likely I'll have a deer encounter on a ride. Conversely, bears want to have NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. My bear encounters have been in clean, fresh-smelling gear.

I dunno.

The way I smell on bike rides is rather notorious. Yet I still ride RIGHT UP TO them. In fact, it's funny: the worse I smell the more likely I'll have a deer encounter on a ride. Conversely, bears want to have NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. My bear encounters have been in clean, fresh-smelling gear.

That's a different situation though bro... and the wind is king. Are you paying attention to the direction when you ride up on them? Are you paying attention to your speed relative to the wind so you know if you're outrunning your scent stream? Very different situation than a stationary source of odor that's emanating stink for hours and hours...

Back
Top Bottom