• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is my MA ltc reciprocal in NH?

You can open carry in NH. Your MA LTC has nothing to do with it.

If you don't have a NH or Recognized CCW from another state (MA isn't one) then you cannot carry concealed.

Also, in your vehicle, gun must be unloaded and not carried concealed on your person WO said permit.

However you can have it in the glove box, console, or wherever with the mag next to it and just put it on your hip when you get out of the car.

Last edited:
Wondering if I can carry my LC9 in NH with my MA LTC.

I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
  • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html

You can open carry in NH. Your MA LTC has nothing to do with it.

If you don't have a NH or Recognized CCW from another state (MA isn't one) then you cannot carry concealed.

Also, in your vehicle, gun must be unloaded and not carried on your person WO said permit.

However you can have it in the glove box, console, or wherever with the mag next to it and just put it on your hip when you get out of the car.

Thanx guys. Looks like I must leave it home.

I am 99% sure that you can carry in the car, but it must be unloaded. If I remember, here is the logic:

Without a NH P&R license you can carry:

1) Concealed but not loaded
2) Loaded, but not concealed.

Having the gun anywhere in the car is considered to be concealed. So it must be unloaded. But it can still be on you. Its just considered to be concealed. Even if its an OWB with no cover garment.

Brad - Why would you leave it home. strap the gun on just like you would in MA and stick a mag in the opposite pocket. Done. Its not ideal, but I did it for a couple of years after I moved to MA before I sucked it up and paid $100 for the non-res license.

Don

I am 99% sure that you can carry in the car, but it must be unloaded. If I remember, here is the logic:

Without a NH P&R license you can carry:

1) Concealed but not loaded
2) Loaded, but not concealed.

Having the gun anywhere in the car is considered to be concealed. So it must be unloaded. But it can still be on you. Its just considered to be concealed. Even if its an OWB with no cover garment.

Brad - Why would you leave it home. strap the gun on just like you would in MA and stick a mag in the opposite pocket. Done. Its not ideal, but I did it for a couple of years after I moved to MA before I sucked it up and paid $100 for the non-res license.

Don

See that was always my understanding until I posted a link earlier in this thread from NH.gov. It reads...

You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.

I re-read that a couple of times to make sure I was reading it right. Fwiw, its from their FAQ section, not the actual letter of the law. Carrying unloaded and concealed with a mag in your pocket is less than ideal to say the least. Carrying unloaded with no ammo on your person is completely useless. I can picture couples at the range practicing...

"UP!!" (he draws from concealment as she pulls a loaded mag from her purse and slams it into the magwell for him, lol)

Last edited:
Well, apparently, I am all turned around on the vehicle carry thing. I had my NH non res before my MA ever showed up(I used my ME non res), so I never had to worry about it.

Having the gun anywhere in the car is considered to be concealed.

For clarity's sake... not really....

RSA 159:4 said:
159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided.

I don't know where the concealment business WRT cars comes from, but I wish it would die a horrible death, because that's not what the law actually says. If it was about concealment there would be a wallhack like there is in a couple states (Texas?) There isn't. the law just says simply "no".

I realize this is pedantic but its an important distinction.

-Mike

Also, getting a non-resident license in NH is wicked easy. If you spend any time there, you should get it.

This. I would of gotten it back in less than 2 weeks except I did something dumb like forget to sign the form or the check, cant remember which.

Wow, no "concealed means concealed" posts yet?[laugh]

In NH, VT, and CT, concealed means as concealed as you want it to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, getting a non-resident license in NH is wicked easy. If you spend any time there, you should get it.

It used to be cheap also. No so anymore.

For clarity's sake... not really....

I don't know where the concealment business WRT cars comes from, but I wish it would die a horrible death, because that's not what the law actually says. If it was about concealment there would be a wallhack like there is in a couple states (Texas?) There isn't. the law just says simply "no".

I realize this is pedantic but its an important distinction.

-Mike

Mike based on your citation, you can carry concealed but not loaded. Or loaded but not concealed.

The vehicle reference comes from recent case law. I'm hoping someone can find the citation. The defendant was "caught" with an unloaded gun in a car and a loaded mag. I beleive in teh glove box.

He was found not guilty. Hopefully a someone comes up with a citation.

I don't know you come up with that. You can buy ammo in all but certain stores(We have talked about the ones in the past that make up their own rules) So everywhere else other than them you can buy ammo and components as long as you are of legal age, they don't ask for permission slip to buy that stuff. The ones that do that know who they are. I am sure I will get another PM from one of them about this posting.

I "came up with that" because I was just on Hooksett Road yesterday and while they were very polite, I was asked for a license to prove my age (I am well old enough and actually look my age [angry] ) which I produced. I was then asked for my LTC, which due to my own boneheaded move, was left at home. They politely said they can't sell to me. Luckily, my wife had her LTC and purchased the ammo for me. She won't let me live that one down for a bit.

Mike based on your citation, you can carry concealed but not loaded. Or loaded but not concealed.

Yeah, but the first part of it says "No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle ...". Not sure why everyone misses this.

-Mike

And that place is full of shit and they know it. Many of us will not set foot in that joint. That clown has been making up his own rules and using bullshit excuses to do so. If he likes MasShiTchusetts laws so much be should move his business back there.

I don't disagree with you. I've purchased powder from them in the past without any issues. For me, I guess it is a "learning experience". I probably should have gone a few more miles down the road.

See that was always my understanding until I posted a link earlier in this thread from NH.gov. It reads...

I re-read that a couple of times to make sure I was reading it right. Fwiw, its from their FAQ section, not the actual letter of the law. Carrying unloaded and concealed with a mag in your pocket is less than ideal to say the least. Carrying unloaded with no ammo on your person is completely useless. I can picture couples at the range practicing...

"UP!!" (he draws from concealment as she pulls a loaded mag from her purse and slams it into the magwell for him, lol)

That understanding is outdated, as apparently is the nh.gov site. The NH Supreme Court, in NH v. Dor read "loaded" in its most straightforward meaning, to mean the ammo is in the gun.

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2013/2013057dor.pdf

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nh-supreme-court/1641225.html

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/7977159-95/nh-supreme-court-defines-loaded-weapon-law

That understanding is outdated, as apparently is the nh.gov site. The NH Supreme Court, in NH v. Dor read "loaded" in its most straightforward meaning, to mean the ammo is in the gun.

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2013/2013057dor.pdf

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nh-supreme-court/1641225.html

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/7977159-95/nh-supreme-court-defines-loaded-weapon-law

Thanks for clearing that up.[thumbsup]

Fwiw, my previous understanding was as you stated- no ammo in gun=unloaded, regardless if you had a mag on your person or not. I stumbled across the outdated info on NH.gov and thought I had been mistaken all along. Irrelevant to me at least, as Ive had a P&R pretty much as long as Ive had an LTC, but thanks for the info.

Your MA LTC means nothing in NH.

I don't think anyone has said it yet but a MA LTC means nothing anywhere outside of MA. You can carry in NH if you follow a few rules as mentioned above. VT and ME are constitutional carry but you''d be committing a felony if you wandered into RI, CT or NY while carrying.

Carrying unloaded and concealed with a mag in your pocket is less than ideal to say the least.

More ideal than leaving it at home.

Before I got my non-resident p&r, I carried concealed with a belt mag carrier and owb (my IDPA setup). Personally, I felt more comfortable with it concealed rather than open carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has said it yet but a MA LTC means nothing anywhere outside of MA. You can carry in NH if you follow a few rules as mentioned above. VT and ME are constitutional carry but you''d be committing a felony if you wandered into RI, CT or NY while carrying.

I believe you can carry it concealed in RI if you are passing through and don't stop...

the NH folks are really nice about granting CCW permits to MA people. I think my first one took about 1 month to get. Just apply and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom