• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there a POTA contest of some sort today?

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Band edge to band edge on almost all the bands are POTA stations today. Some bands, between the WAE contest and the POTA stations, it's wall to wall. I called CQ several times, even after asking if frequency was in use, and someone comes on saying frequency is in use after the CQ call. Whatever...

I think I'll go outside and hang myself some antennas...LOL

The bands have been rubbish lately so it could be some pent up frustration driving people out. A few days in a row I settled down at the radio and there'd be a handful at best of stations on 40 and 20. Everything else was completely dead.

The bands have been rubbish lately so it could be some pent up frustration driving people out. A few days in a row I settled down at the radio and there'd be a handful at best of stations on 40 and 20. Everything else was completely dead.
Well, I did a little bit of research and it seems to be a contest...I found a website from Ohio that has a date of 9/9 of a POTA contest and it looks like other states have followed suit. The problem is they are on every HF band, even the WARC bands. I was under the impression that contests were verboten on those bands.

I dunno. I really do miss the contact/ragchews instead of the "you're 5/9 wham bam, thank you ma'am" contacts but I guess that's the way ham radio has transmogrified over the past few years.

I guess I'm turning into a ham radio curmudgeon. :rolleyes:

Huh, I do a lot of POTA and I never heard of it. I think the non-WARC contests are a gentleman's agreement. Plus who knows how many people knew it was a contest.

VHF+ contest was today too, but that didn't likely impact POTA. I got a few, all in my own grid square. I was just handing out points. I hope I don't have to submit a log.

Huh, I do a lot of POTA and I never heard of it. I think the non-WARC contests are a gentleman's agreement. Plus who knows how many people knew it was a contest.

VHF+ contest was today too, but that didn't likely impact POTA. I got a few, all in my own grid square. I was just handing out points. I hope I don't have to submit a log.
I used to love 6m AM....there were a half dozen or so of us that lived in Central NH that would ragchew on a Saturday night until the wee hours of Sunday morning just talking about just about anything. One of the guys was a minister who had to speak on Sunday morning....whenever we got started, he would usually say he was going to regret the roundtable that night. I would sometimes drink a whole 12 cup pot of coffee during those...of course I was a whole lot younger back then :).

That I could see. Whenever I get into a ragchew it usually feels forced and I'm looking for a way out. My brain also has a hard time with the half duplex nature. I need the "mm hmm" type cues. I did have a great time once talking squirrels with a couple guys.

Back
Top Bottom