Is there still a waiting period to purchase (aka Brady Bill)

This is something that I've always just been curious about, but never really cared enough to ask.

Since I have a free moment, I'm going to ask....

Does anyone actually have to "wait" for a gun anymore? I mean, aside from the 10 minutes it takes to call you in and check you out....

I've never actually had any imposing waiting period on me. Be it a pistol, pre-ban (at the time) ak-47, rifle, shotgun, etc....

So if that's the case, then what the HECK was with all that brady bill waiting period talk? Or does this differ from state to state? I live in NH btw.

As I said, it never bothered me or concerned me but now I'm going to go for my C&R, well.. Figured I might as well ask!

That's all for today.

Carter

Waiting periods may still be valid in certain states, but VT, and probably NH were only under the Federal Brady Law, and waiting periods ended when the NCIC checks started.

There is NO waiting period in MA, never has been.

CT has a waiting period (2 weeks) unless you have a CT CCW! I was told that my C&R FFL does NOT get around this waiting period. :(

Some Counties in FL (South FL essentially) have varying waiting periods if you buy at a gun show (I think store transactions are exempt from the waiting periods) unless you have a FL CCW. Again, I think that C&R FFLs are NOT exempt from this waiting period law.

I believe that RI has a waiting period as well, but someone from RI can fill in the details as I am unfamiliar with RI's laws.

The only time you might have to wait in MA is if the NICS check comes back "Pending". It might take as long as three days, and that's only if they don't call back before that. However, if no phone call telling the dealer that he can't sell you the gun, then after 3 days the dealer can proceed with the sale.

Lynne said:
The only time you might have to wait in MA is if the NICS check comes back "Pending". It might take as long as three days, and that's only if they don't call back before that. However, if no phone call telling the dealer that he can't sell you the gun, then after 3 days the dealer can proceed with the sale.

That used to happen to me when I lived in Ohio. But I would always hang around the shop for 20 minutes and they would call back and everything would be fine. If they didn't, the dealer would usualy call back after about 15-20 minutes and they would say that it was fine.

I don't know why that always happened to me in Ohio, but it's never happened to me here in MA.

One possible reason: In some states (e.g., MA) dealers contact NICS directly with no state involvement in the process; in others dealers contact the state which acts as a contact point for NICS checks. Don't know whether that's the case for Ohio.

Ken

When NICS was first activated, I had to wait/shop a while in the store for the call back.

Last few times there was no problem.

If I remember properly, the Wait was only in place before NICS was up and running, and only in those places that didn't have a licence that had some kind of background check.

Like any waiting period makes any difference except for the FIRST purchase anyway.

I still think that the national mandatory driver license standard should have had a big indicator on it regarding Federal Gun rights. Then, so long as the state did it's job, no government agency knew who had what. I mean, if you are going to mandate the standards anyway, lets really mark them so we know who the good guys and the bad guys are.

Back
Top Bottom