Is this full skinflint?

murf4321

NES Member
10.5” upper with a 6” welded flash hider.... I’m a windham weaponry fanboy after buying a solid half dozen uppers from them, but this seems kinda skinflinty. I kinda get it as someone who’s far too lazy to SBR something.

Click me

100% stupid. WAY lower muzzle velocity. Shorter gas system causes harsher recoil, bolt wear and earlier bolt unlocking. There is no situation where this setup has a purpose other than the owner finding the aesthetics appealing.

a barrel is a pressure vessel so longer is better.

10.5” upper with a 6” welded flash hider.... I’m a windham weaponry fanboy after buying a solid half dozen uppers from them, but this seems kinda skinflinty. I kinda get it as someone who’s far too lazy to SBR something.

Click me
That was a pretty common Colt setup in the early 90s. I’d probably SBR a lower and buy a 10.5 but I don’t hate the look.

Click me

Judge Wapner Says:

yes

GUILTY on all counts

skinflint in the first degree!!!!!!!

wapner.jpg

"Rusty, take this man to skinflint jail!!!!"

rusty.jpg

"OK Sir! "

roll credits

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU7LLzemkSI

100% stupid. WAY lower muzzle velocity. Shorter gas system causes harsher recoil, bolt wear and earlier bolt unlocking. There is no situation where this setup has a purpose other than the owner finding the aesthetics appealing.

A lot of bad guys have been taken out with the MK18 in the last 22 years.

Cliff note version: "All of the lose with none of the win"

Nevah been done befoah

Oh, and if you have to ask if you are being a "skinflint", guess what, you are already one.
This is a corollary of "There's always one flaming idiot at every family gathering. If you can't figure out who it is, it's you."

That was a pretty common Colt setup in the early 90s.
early operators at local clubs use to favor that "apocalypse now" look. kinda retro cool and wish i bought a colt back when... but never did. [angry]

Last edited:
Oh, and if you have to ask if you are being a "skinflint", guess what, you are already one.
Well I wasn’t going to buy it anyway as I’m swimming in uppers already and haven’t built homes for them yet.

Was just perusing the interwebs & was trying to get my brain around this concept.

This is like a bad case of telephone whereby post #7 all reality is lost.

Well I wasn’t going to buy it anyway as I’m swimming in uppers already and haven’t built homes for them yet.

Was just perusing the interwebs & was trying to get my brain around this concept
I don't know, it does look good. Can never have enough spares.

Maybe they will have others on sale.

Its solely for an XM177 retro build or you like that old "commando" look.

I built an XM177E2 clone, I just think they look cool, or maybe I watched too much "Tour of Duty" as a kid. Either way it was fun sourcing all the period correct parts to make it as accurate as possible.

Click me
ok, but, WHY?!?

Its usually a 10.5 with a 5.5" flash hider. They have been around for over 30 years.
Gives you the "look" of the Vietnam 10.5" commando, but with the long flash hider welded on its a legal 16" barrel.

A lot of people like the "looks" of something even if it's not functional on their firearms.
I have , for example, the pictorgraph type cut-and-pinned trigger housings on all my HK clone rifles.
They do nothing but make the gun look like its more than just a safe/fire rifle. Now it looks like safe, semi, 3rd burst and full auto.
Some people like to put IR target identifier lasers on thier rifles although they are not lighting-up an area for a missile to strike.

RC

So, I didn't look that all up, I knew what these were "supposed to be" 'cause someone gave me one (the upper) many years back. I think some people were into these not only for the look but because they would typically wind up on a MA-legal, rifle. That said, the one someone gave me has a bayo lug on it, so... nice try for MA? :)

I don't use it almost ever but it's accurate and cycles fine on a J. Random Lower setup, so I don't get the hate. It's not going to be anyone's 1st choice for competition or TEOTWAWKI, right?

I can honestly say I have no idea why anyone would consider that.

Pretty much what I thought. I just stared at it trying to run through the scenarios in my brain and the output on all scenarios was: skinflint.

At least this science is settled

Back
Top Bottom