Is this linotype?

Ely

I have what I think is Linotype. I know it is used for reloading and what is it worth? (pics to follow when I figure it out)

023.jpg022.jpg

Last edited:
I had something simular it apeared to be a "set" of stamps. Turns out they where Zinc.
almost any lead or lead alloy has its place in casting for bullets. My unknown ugly stuff is reserved for my cast shotgun slugs.

You would have to do a hardness test to determine it's exact alloy. If your grandfather owned a printshop, it's probably in the linotype hardness range. If he owned a hardware store, it might be lead solder and closer to pure lead in hardness. No way of knowing without testing.
In any case, it's all useable for casting target rounds.

Scrap lead is worth anywhere from $.50 - $1.00/lb, pure lead commanding the higher prices.

That looks like regular printers type. It is very hard. I have access to a lot of it as my family was in the printing business for 150 years. I have been told it is a little to hard as it sits to use for bullets. It has a lot of antimony in it.
Those wooden type case drawers sell for up to 75 bucks now.

Thanks gents, the monotype and the 4 bars of lead (under the drawer in the pic) going up for sale as soon as I figure out a good price or trade for it.

Those look like letters for an old printing press. My uncle had a print shop when I was a kid. He had tons of trays with letters of all sort of fonts and sizes. They had to set up special trays with pressure clamps to set up the letters with the text. That is why they are all backwards. I have picks of his print shop

- - - Updated - - -

They have lead in them, but are very hard.

Back
Top Bottom