Is this normal? Advice/Opinions please

Wanted to post a short video, couldn’t make it work. There is a solid 1/16” of vertical play in the slide/barrel of my VP9. This is the only handgun I own so have no comparisons available. Approximately 1,200 rounds through the gun, functions flawlessly, point of aim is high with regards to impacts. Rails and slide all appear to be in great condition.

Is this normal? VP9 threads on other websites seem to think so. It seems like a lot of play, especially when in battery tone though.

Does anyone know or have any other guns that exhibit this same characteristic? Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
52FFA5F0-AD23-4368-8232-B273CCD50FF6.jpeg 2B14A5C1-3163-40DD-ADF9-79F09E73037E.jpeg B1CC2100-70E2-4C45-9F0B-320932C772C9.jpeg 71C1AC3C-D479-4AD9-BBDD-FB19814FF43C.jpeg

Can't speak on the VP9 specifically, but every semi pistol I've handled has slight play...like jct said...necessary movement. Should be good to go as long as you need to squeeze it to notice and it isn't floppy and loose. Few things are good when floppy.

Can't speak on the VP9 specifically, but every semi pistol I've handled has slight play...like jct said...necessary movement. Should be good to go as long as you need to squeeze it to notice and it isn't floppy and loose. Few things are good when floppy.

Squeezing is necessary and with a little force as well. No flop at all, just happened to notice it after my last range trip and wanted a second opinion.

I feel a little better now.

just asking for no reason and nothing to do with the op's question...what kind of rails does the vp9 slide ride on? are they full length? or more like say, a glock. curious is all.

My VP is high at 10 yards, so it's probably meant to be a 6:00 hold. I still shoot with the front sight over the target, so my groups are always a fist size over the center bullseye. At 25 yards it seems to be dead on. I say seems to be because my groups open up a little.

non issue

WRT accuracy what matters is barrel-slide lockup, not slide-lower fit. if you look at VP9 the barrel locks up tight vertically then has some slack laterally which is fixed once a live round is chambered as the extractor then tensions the slide-barrel laterally. this is one reason different ammo can give slight POI changes.

the VP9 like all things HK has an awesome barrel quality and fit to the slide. its one of the more accurate striker polymer pistols.

non issue

WRT accuracy what matters is barrel-slide lockup, not slide-lower fit. if you look at VP9 the barrel locks up tight vertically then has some slack laterally which is fixed once a live round is chambered as the extractor then tensions the slide-barrel laterally. this is one reason different ammo can give slight POI changes.

the VP9 like all things HK has an awesome barrel quality and fit to the slide. its one of the more accurate striker polymer pistols.

Still love the gun. It’s never jammed or had so much as a hiccup in the time I’ve had it. As someone relatively new to handguns, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Normal and not a problem this is not something that effects accuracy. If you shake an HK USP it rattles more then a baby rattle.

Yes it"s normal. I own multiple HK's and they all have it. Also, yes, all HK pistols are sighted in from the factory at a 6oclock hold.

Yes it"s normal. I own multiple HK's and they all have it. Also, yes, all HK pistols are sighted in from the factory at a 6oclock hold.
at what distance and what size bull? I cant see any manufacture doing this other than a competition gun shooting known distance at known target size. Like cmp/nra service pistol.
page 17 of owners manual says factory setting is POA/POI at 25m/27.3 yards BUT they fail to say what ammo. I would assume 9mm NATO for the 9mm, maybe 180gn for the 40sw?

Last edited:
Normal and not a problem this is not something that effects accuracy. If you shake an HK USP it rattles more then a baby rattle.

That's a 'battle rattle', leave the HnK alone :p (There's a buffer thingy on the recoil spring to absorb some of the force on recoil. If it's worn/black/cracked, you need to replace the recoil spring assembly. Just learned this at armorers school). I am glad to be getting a new gun soon though, I think mine is about shot out.

Just went and 'squeezed' my USP Compact with probably close to 20k rounds through it. I can't see movement, but I can feel the slide shift. As long as it shoots accurate, a little movement allows the gun to function through stuff that would cause a failure in a 'tight' gun. I think that's why people are so adamant about cleaning their guns. They are tight tolerance and gunk will cause issues. I clean my HnK every year, whether it needs it or not. I don't shoot very often any more though. The joys of living in a city vs woods of Maine.

Back
Top Bottom