• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this place full of sh!t or not

The AG came down hard on one dealer in Worcester over the letter issue. When AT told me about that requirement, I went and read the AG CMR again (had last read it years ago) and indeed it does require documentation from the PD that it is STRICTLY for duty use.

You mean the "duty use" firearm that they keep for a month or two (if even that), then sell in a private sale to a peon
for a nice profit?

You mean the "duty use" firearm that they keep for a month or two (if even that), then sell in a private sale to a peon
for a nice profit?

No, read the CMR. It calls out the LE exemption as needing a department letter attesting that it will ONLY be used for duty use. Absurd, as most that buy them legitimately do so for off-duty carry, but that is the wording.

I suspect we have two cases we are not distinguishing. Selling ON LIST guns to the police that are not AG approved (Glocks) requires just ID, police being exempt from AG bullsh*t. Selling off list requires department letter.

That is what the DCJIS lawyer said during the MIRCS training the supply to all new dealers.

If this is inaccurate, then prosecution will be interesting given the official, mandatory training being supplied by the state before they will give you a dealer login to MIRCS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect we have two cases we are not distinguishing. Selling ON LIST guns to the police that are not AG approved (Glocks) requires just ID, police being exempt from AG bullsh*t. Selling off list requires department letter.

That is what the DCJIS lawyer said during the MIRCS training the supply to all new dealers.

If this is inaccurate, then prosecution will be interesting given the official, mandatory training being supplied by the state before they will give you a dealer login to MIRCS

Your understanding is incorrect. Off-list guns can only be sold to agencies per MGL. Individual officers can't legally buy off-list (EOPS list) guns.

They usually don't prosecute dealers, they threaten them with cease and desist letters or if they ignore that they have the local PD pull their state licenses.

ETA: I can NOT find the section in CMR or MGL that I was looking for. I did find it after AT advised me of the legal requirement for a letter wrt to LEO individual purchases. Now it eludes me. Eventually I'll find it, but for now my statement above may be considered a "maybe" until proof of same is found.

Last edited:
Given that the official training for dealers from DCJIS legal says on list to law enforcement ok with ID, I have no reservations about selling on-list (but AG unapproved) guns to LE on my dealers license. In practice I think this is only Glocks.

I await your official documentation purely for the humor value of the internal inconsistencies of our overlords.

Your understanding is incorrect. Off-list guns can only be sold to agencies per MGL. Individual officers can't legally buy off-list (EOPS list) guns.

They usually don't prosecute dealers, they threaten them with cease and desist letters or if they ignore that they have the local PD pull their state licenses.

ETA: I can NOT find the section in CMR or MGL that I was looking for. I did find it after AT advised me of the legal requirement for a letter wrt to LEO individual purchases. Now it eludes me. Eventually I'll find it, but for now my statement above may be considered a "maybe" until proof of same is found.

The guys in Norwood Armory are super cool, I wasn't there when this guy had his Problem but I have never been jacked around there and have sent "brown" "dark Tan" friends there with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom