Is this real?

Agnotology

NES Member
In the sense that could a firearm be brought back to working order when it is this rusted? Or for that matter, does the rust look fake? Some of that rust just doesn't look real. The yellows and how easily the screws for the grips came out despite those wooden grips if exposed to moisture that would do that the slide, barrel, and frame, would hold moisture against those screws and they would be the worst corroded, yet they seem fine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabWpL56SBE&ab_channel=TheKinzlerBros

In the sense that could a firearm be brought back to working order when it is this rusted? Or for that matter, does the rust look fake? Some of that rust just doesn't look real. The yellows and how easily the screws for the grips came out despite those wooden grips if exposed to moisture that would do that the slide, barrel, and frame, would hold moisture against those screws and they would be the worst corroded, yet they seem fine.

Often, these recovery videos are faked. The rust is real, but very thin.

100% correct

Then I am worried even more. They may have done the salt + hydrogen peroxide spray bottle move to rapidly oxidize a perfectly good gun.

I only use that bottle on people's cars who annoy me in parking lots.

It all depends on how extensively it's corroded, but there are a lot of fake 'restorations' on the tube. This one looks to be genuinely rusted as evidenced by the pitting. 'Backyard Ballistics' has a lot of good videos.
An example I did;

Last edited:

I was just going to say the same thing, like you see a lot of them and then somehow there's this horrible rust, that gets removed, and then no
pitting afterwards. Its like they spray metal snow flock on it, then something to make it rust on the surface, etc.

Can it be bright back to life?

Sure.

Is this rust from actually spending decades in a lake or a sh*tty barn? ... f*ck no. The springs would be close to completely destroyed with how thin some are. The slide would be pitted, although usable, it would be almist impossible to bring back to like new looking without removing a lot of material.

There are a sh*t ton of rusted to sh*t muskets you can buy, why don't they ever restore those?

Is this rust from actually spending decades in a lake or a sh*tty barn? ... f*ck no. The springs would be close to completely destroyed with how thin some are. The slide would be pitted, although usable, it would be almist impossible to bring back to like new looking without removing a lot of material.

Thats what always gets me, the springs are the most vulnerable things in a gun WRT rusting, and on anything with a huge amount of rust, those springs should basically be either disintegrated on at least partly disintegrated by the time the gun is found.

The history of this gun is unknown. They were originally blued and often, these old guns have been 'cleaned' removing any protective oil from the outer surface while leaving the inner spaces somewhat protected. You can definitely have differential corrosion depending on the environment. If you look at about 13:38 you'll also notice a large grinding scare where the 'U.S. Property' and or serial number would be. There goes any finish that was there. Was the entire thing stripped?... don't know. I think the corrosion is legitimate on this one. I think the magnetite/ 'black rust' gunk on the inside is indicative of a reduced oxygen environment compared to the exposed outside of the gun. It could have been wrapped in a cloth that got wet to produce this manner of corrosion.

Obviously a Royal Tiger Imports 1911. "Fair" condition.

Back
Top Bottom