• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this the wrong time to dive into this hobby?

I just recently bailed out of my last hobby, arcades and pins. It was becoming to frustrating and expensive to maintain. I could watch $1000 literally go up in smoke when a custom chip
on an original Konami Gradius board cooked. Plus the market is through the roof, I used to buy pallets of untested pcbs for a couple hundred bucks after all the old arcades folded and many of these boards are now worth hundreds.
It was the right time to bail.

So... every man needs a good hobby. I'm just not sure if I should start right now and buy up tons of stuff in this market.

Do you think I should wet my whistle with a few cool things or just go at it because the market may never return?

Maybe have a friend take you to a range and do some shooting and decide if it's something you'd enjoy. There are those that have firearms for self defense, some are collectors, some are builders and some are target shooters. I'm sure there are many other types as well.

Do you think you'll ever need or want to own a bunch of guns? Do you think the market will be getting any cheaper anytime in the foreseeable future?
I really got back into shooting during this covid BS, I spent a lot more time with a good friend at his range and enjoyed shooting a lot of his different guns.
I grew up in a police/ military family and enjoyed the time at the range back then as well. We used to go to the Waquoit club as well as hunt pheasant, deer, and waterfowl.
I moved to the Boston for college and then the burbs area. I didn't feel the area was right to have a lot of guns. I guess I was spoiled from my childhood when we used to
be able to go far into the woods and just shoot.

I have just been a casual shooter for many years, going to one of my buddies ranges every now and then.
My only guns are a Marlin 39, and Rem 1100 which I had since childhood and a Smith 3913 I picked up 20 years ago.
I dumped the TC muzzleloader after I quit hunting, not really a fun range toy for me.

Last edited:
I just recently bailed out of my last hobby, arcades and pins. It was becoming to frustrating and expensive to maintain. I could watch $1000 literally go up in smoke when a custom chip
on an original Konami Gradius board cooked. Plus the market is through the roof, I used to buy pallets of untested pcbs for a couple hundred bucks after all the old arcades folded and many of these boards are now worth hundreds.

So... every man needs a good hobby. I'm just not sure if I should start right now and buy up tons of stuff in this market.

Do you think I should wet my whistle with a few cool things or just go at it because the market may never return?
It not the wrong time, but the right time was 20 years ago. It’s only gonna get worse, so jump in while you can.

The "right" time would have been beofre covid, lol, but thats crying over spilled milk at this point.

My advice: Think hard about what you want, try lots of different things, etc. Shoot other peoples guns, rent shit, etc.

Buy stuff you will actually shoot. Dust collectors IMO arent nearly as useful. Also the entire industry is filled with a lot of product that "looks cool but actually it sucks" and its easy to
see that stuff in reality once you've had some experience....

Also a bigger piece of advice: If you are tempted by some stupid f***ing impulse buy idea and you have money burning a hole in your
pocket, take that money and just buy a case or two of ammo with it instead. No, it's not quite as fulfilling as buying the shitty impulse buy
gun, but you will thank me later when you have that extra ammo.

Also ammo is one of those things that the value can only recede so much. Like you can own a retarded gun in .480 Moron, and while you think it's cool, nobody will want to buy
it. On the other hand, if you had spent the $800 on like 2 point whatever cases of 9mm, you would be better off... .because you'd have 2.whatever cases of 9mm instead of a stupid
rifle chambered in .480 Moron thats not really useful.

WTAF...you're the dude with a Karen who's worried about your neighbors pickle eating habits!

Now this thread?

20-days in, posting like a mofo.

You're a weird one @MetalSLugX.

Welcome, but you're a weird one.

I give people benefit of the doubt, a lot of people just can't express themselves well, I get that.
(other than that I see what you're saying)
Welcome Metal Slug dude.

The "right" time would have been beofre covid, lol, but thats crying over spilled milk at this point.

My advice: Think hard about what you want, try lots of different things, etc. Shoot other peoples guns, rent shit, etc.

Buy stuff you will actually shoot. Dust collectors IMO arent nearly as useful. Also the entire industry is filled with a lot of product that "looks cool but actually it sucks" and its easy to

Also a bigger piece of advice: If you are tempted by some stupid f***ing impulse buy idea and you have money burning a hole in your
pocket, take that money and just buy a case or two of ammo with it instead. No, it's not quite as fulfilling as buying the shitty impulse buy

Also ammo is one of those things that the value can only recede so much. Like you can own a retarded gun in .480 Moron, and while you think it's cool, nobody will want to buy
it. On the other hand, if you had spent the $800 on like 2 point whatever cases of 9mm, you would be better off... .because you'd have 2.whatever cases of 9mm instead of a stupid

OP this is valuable advice for these times we’re in. Read this over again and take it in.

Mike is generally right IMO from a purely pragmatic POV. But you don't have to be driven by pragmatism and shouldn't feel bad if you aren't. If you have limited funds, then I agree wholeheartedly with Mike -- spend it wisely and you'll be much happier. But if you actually have money burning a hole in your trousers from time to time, then I say go for whatever tickles your fancy at any given time. Most of us have engaged in moronic impulse buying. If you are ok laughing it off and chocking up some occasional losses, then who cares? If OTOH taking losses or otherwise making stupid purchases is going to drive you nuts, then you would be well-advised to follow Mike's advice to a tee. I don't recall ever buying a .480 Moron, but I certainly have had some losses here and there that I am not proud of. I don't lose any sleep over it at all. It's part of the fun. So, hold my beer...

Why would I buy membership now? That's like the simp that buys a girl a $400 braclet after the first two weeks of dating without any clue about the true value of the relationship.
If I dig the vibe here, I'm in it 100% full throttle ...if not I'm a ghost like a few other people have eluded too.

I have been out of the informed gun loop for many years and I am very ignorant to many a things. Which I hate.
I'll try not to be too damn needy and annoy the senior guard.

Been here before....sux being the noob meet around deez here parts.

Thanks for the solid advice drgrant sincerly appreciated. Ammo and TP...TP and Ammo....Ammo and more Ammo

Why would I buy membership now? That's like the simp that buys a girl a $400 braclet after the first two weeks of dating without any clue about the true value of the relationship.
If I dig the vibe here, I'm in it 100% full throttle ...if not I'm a ghost like a few other people have eluded too.

I have been out of the informed gun loop for many years and I am very ignorant to many a things. Which I hate.
I'll try not to be too damn needy and annoy the senior guard.

Been here before....sux being the noob meet around deez here parts.

Thanks for the solid advice drgrant sincerly appreciated. Ammo and TP...TP and Ammo....Ammo and more Ammo

Seeing as you are in the ”Boston burbs” you need to be aware of the extra special AWB for Boston residents.

Boston AWB

Bob

Mike is generally right IMO from a purely pragmatic POV. But you don't have to be driven by pragmatism and shouldn't feel bad if you aren't. If you have limited funds, then I agree wholeheartedly with Mike -- spend it wisely and you'll be much happier. But if you actually have money burning a hole in your trousers from time to time, then I say go for whatever tickles your fancy at any given time. Most of us have engaged in moronic impulse buying. If you are ok laughing it off and chocking up some occasional losses, then who cares? If OTOH taking losses or otherwise making stupid purchases is going to drive you nuts, then you would be well-advised to follow Mike's advice to a tee. I don't recall ever buying a .480 Moron, but I certainly have had some losses here and there that I am not proud of. I don't lose any sleep over it at all. It's part of the fun. So, hold my beer...
OP, this is indeed good advice. My gun purchased in the beginning were a pistol, a cheap AK-47 and a shotgun. Then I started buying ammo as I could. To store. After all, you can only shoot one gun at a time, right?

That covered my bases for a SHTF scenario. Eventually as I could afford it, my collection grew and I played around with different calibers and such.

All you “need” is a pistol for every adult in the house, a rifle (semi auto is the best choice) for each of them and maybe one shotgun for hunting or door kickers. Concentrate the rest of your funds on ammo and maybe a .22 rifle for hunting small game.

I really got back into shooting during this covid BS, I spent a lot more time with a good friend at his range and enjoyed shooting a lot of his different guns.
I grew up in a police/ military family and enjoyed the time at the range back then as well. We used to go to the Waquoit club as well as hunt pheasant, deer, and waterfowl.
I moved to the Boston for college and then the burbs area. I didn't feel the area was right to have a lot of guns. I guess was spoiled from my childhood when we used to
be able to go far into the woods and just shoot.

I have just been a casual shooter for many years, going to one of my buddies ranges every now and then.
My only guns are a Marlin 39, and Rem 1100 which I had since childhood and a Smith 3913 I picked up 20 years ago.
I dumped the TC muzzleloader after I quit hunting, not really a fun range toy for me.
You got a decent start right there. You can just buy ammo and go shooting.
If theres a particular “game” you want to do you will need to explore that .
The 39a is a fun rifle , one of the few I regret selling and one of the hardest to pony up to replace.

Do you still have pin parts? I need to dig in to my Williams Cyclone machine. It’s not ejecting the ball when it falls between the flippers

The market for guns never goes down.

If you want to buy, buy now.

If you wait, you will be thinking "f*ck, I should have purchased that 2 years ago".

Look at all the C&R guns, 10 years ago and today.

There are a few things you should stay away from, a lot of revolvers and lever actions are at retarded highs, I wouldn't buy to collect now. For example, Ruger is not producing sh*t now. Will those prices go down in the near future? ... who the f*ck knows, but I can't imagine a Ruger Vaquero going for $1500 when just a year ago Ruger was selling a pair of SASS Vaqueros for $1500.

But who knows, maybe the market will stay retarded forever due to low supply.

Unless your hobbies include bird watching or going for a jog, they are all expensive. I enjoy shooting, i enjoy tinkering and cleaning my guns. It keeps me at ease so for me its worth it. The question is how much is it worth to you?

Back
Top Bottom