• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this worth the price??

This is for an AR-15 chambered in .22lr

Spikes .22lr 16" upper with permanently attached slip on fake sound
suppressor.
- M73 Surefire carbine quad rail.
- YHM flip up rear sight.
- Spikes Tactical field repair kit.
- RRA Graphite Forward Grip (not a grip-pod).
- 2 Mass Compliant 10 round magazines
- 1,100 rounds of .22lr ammunition.

All of this for 1,020.00. This does not include the lower

650 - Spikes mass compliant upper
179 - M73 rail
90 - flip sight
30 - repair kit
60 - 2 Black Dog mags
42 - forward grip
26 - 1,100 rounds of federal (walmart)
40 - Spikes fake can

TOTAL - $1117

Considering the long wait for Spikes Uppers it may be a good deal. [wink]

Last edited:
Massnee did a good breakdown.

The .22LR upper is definitely worth it - I have one, I love it, ir runs flawlessly and I shoot my AR 10x more than I used to for a fraction of the cost.

The black dog mags and rear sight are a must. I consider the ammo a freebee.

So the question is, it the rail, repair kit, forward grip and fake can worth $200 to you??? Personally, I did without all that crap on my upper, and I like it just fine the way it is.

Also, Massnee made a good point - check with Spike's to see the turnaround on a custom .22LR upper. It may be worth it just to avoid the wait. Maybe sell off some of the parts you don't want, if necessary.

Regardless, you'll love that upper, in whatever configuration you end up getting.

If you want it to shoot your AR more then it's worth it. If you just want a .22 to play with get a 10/22 or a GSG-5 for half the coin and enjoy.

It's a tough call. The superfluous stuff is well...superfluous. If it came with a nice scope then I'd be looking at it differently and with more intent. As is, it seems a little steep.

Spike's has a .22lr conversion kit for .223 chambered AR's. I bought one but have yet to fire it. I figure it's the best of both worlds and I can still use my favorite optics without having to buy duplicates for .22lr dedicated uppers.

It's your money but I'd definitely go with some sort of .22lr AR for the long run. For me, life without an AR isn't life at all. As long as I can pull the trigger and it goes bang, I am happy.

Buy a conversion kit, they all run ~$200 and are essentially the same Atchisson design - Ciener, CMMG, Spikes, etc. I've got a Ciener and it works fantastic through both my ARs. There is no way I would spend $1000 on a .22 only upper, but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom