Is VRF14 legal in MA?

The question is, is it an assault weapon?

An assault weapon has the same meaning as federal law of 1994-2004. So to be an assault weapon the object must be a semi-auto pistol, shotgun or rifle as defined under federal law. Under federal law the object un question is an "other" firearm or simply a firearm. It is not a shotgun, rifle or pistol as defined under federal law. It therefore cannot be an assault weapon.

With that said I can imagine someone getting jammed up with this since this edge case is not going to be well understood. It is the same as a CT "other" like a delta level defense. Not an assault weapon, but it sure looks like one.

Transfer by a MA Dealer is not possible as a functional firearm. It would need to be turned into a frame or receiver and sold in pieces to be successfully transferred.

Well let's look at the Mossberg shockwave. Short barrel cannot be shouldered does not meet the definition of a pistol revolver or rifle under Massachusetts law it is classified as something other than one of the above and you can't get them in Massachusetts. It seems to me that the gun that you're asking about is similar to the shockwave in that regard so you're not going to buy one complete from an FFL

Well let's look at the Mossberg shockwave. Short barrel cannot be shouldered does not meet the definition of a pistol revolver or rifle under Massachusetts law it is classified as something other than one of the above and you can't get them in Massachusetts. It seems to me that the gun that you're asking about is similar to the shockwave in that regard so you're not going to buy one complete from an FFL
The MA term you're looking for is firearm, which defers to the roster(s). That's why the Shockwave is hard to get (in my understanding)

Last edited:
The MA term you're looking for is firearm, which defers to the roster(s). That's why the Shockwave is hard to get (in my understanding)
I thought that's what it was but I'm on my phone and really can't dig into the archives easily I thank you for the clarification . as always I bow to your Superior knowledge

I thought that's what it was but I'm on my phone and really can't dig into the archives easily I thank you for the clarification . as always I bow to your Superior knowledge
Nothing superior about it. Just trying to help pick up where it looked like you had a gap.

This is correct, FS and most FFLs are selling the 18" barreled versions and they are selling them as shotguns as defined under MA law.

The 14.5" version of the Shockwave is a firearm, not a shotgun under MA law. It is legal to own with an LTC.

To answer the original question, the VRF14 is going to fall under the AWB if its a firearm (pistol) because it has the following two features:
1. Magwell outside of grip
2. Weighs >50oz (VRF14 = 105 oz)

If it was a shotgun under MA law, it'd still be an AW because it has the following two features:
1. Pistol grip
2. Detachable mag
you are incorrect. you are confusing federal and state definitions. You do not apply state definitions to the object when determining if it is or is not an assault weapon, you apply federal definitions. See my post #2 in this thread.

MGL 140 121 defines "Assault Weapon" as "shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include..."

So the key here is that MA does not tell us what an assault weapon is in long form, but instead says "same as federal law of that was in effect on 13-sep-1994". So you have to take the object you are asking about and march off to federal law land. Now you evaluate the object in the context of federal law since that is where the method for determination exists. The object is an "other" firearm. That is, it is a firearm (the top level of the federal taxonomy) that does not fall into any of the sub categories such as rifle, shotgun, pistol or AOW (any other weapon). It is clearly a firearm but meets none of the subcategory definitions. We frequently call these "others"

Federal law only has definitions of assault weapon for rifles, shotguns and pistols. Therefore the object, the "other" cannot be an assault weapon.

Your argument has another fallacy in it. You say because in MA law its a "firearm" we apply the federal "pistol" definition. That makes no sense. MA does not define what a pistol is. Just because a pistol as defined federally is a firearm in MA law, it does not go the other way. SBS and SBR are also firearms under MA law. "others" are almost always firearms under MA law. Why would you get to go from MA firearm to federal pistol when federal pistol is just one of MANY federal definitions that map to MA firearm? Now this never comes into play because MA definitions do not matter in the determination, but if I were to pretend with you that they do, your argument does not make sense.

Another example, a SBR. Federally its a rifle so we apply the rifle definition of an assault weapon when making the gun compliant. LOTS of people in MA have SBRs. They have to build them themselves since the ATF will no longer approve a Form 4 from a dealer (though they will approve a Form 4 for person to person). Under your logic the SBR is a MA firearm so a pistol and we should apply the pistol AWB definition. There is NO WAY to make a AK SBR or AR SBR compliant with the pistol AWB. That is why people who want short ARs SBR them; they can't have pistols.

So in short, sorry, you are incorrect. The VRF14 is a federal "other" and therefore cannot be an assault weapon. We do not mix and match definitions as you suggest.

I think the barrel length has a lot to do with that- weren't the originals like 14.5" and the compliant ones are 16 or 18?
Correct. The original shockwave is 14.375" barrel with a OAL of 26.37"

The ones that are currently sold in MA as complete shotguns (as opposed to sold as two parts, receiver and barrel) are 18.5" barrel length and OAL of 30.75".

Both can be owned by inmates of MA, but a MA dealer can only sell the 18.5" as a complete weapon. The 14.375" version is a "firearm" in MA and subject to the roster and to the AG consumer safety regulations.

Back
Top Bottom