• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is your gun safe at risk of an EMP?

the_shootist

Banned
Yeah, I know....it sounds a little panicky but rather than take a chance on anything today I ordered two manual combination safe locks to replace my electonic ones. It would be just my luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason why I only use manual locks. ALL electronics fail eventually. Most within 10 years due to the migration from Lead to Tin in solder

I'd have to think that anything produced for a global market within the past decade would be RoHS compliant?

****ing EMP? If you encounter EMP, don't forget to hold your AK away from your body. The melting metal may damage the government-owned boots, comrade.

An EMP (electromagnetic pulse) will not cause metal to melt.

No safe, no problem!

I'd have to think that anything produced for a global market within the past decade would be RoHS compliant?

Precisely- Which is why my Yorx stereo receiver I bought at Lechmere sales in the early 80's still works and the main boards on my washers and dryers died at exactly the 10 year mark

Just avoid the 6741 - that is a consumer grade lock with a wider tolerance (+/- 1.25 digits instead of +/- .5) and zymac wheels instead of brass and aluminum.

Where you should be worried about EMP's is if they push through biometrics on guns. They could get it to where they require all personally owned guns to have biometrics on them "for safety", when in fact, if you had a standoff with the "authorities" they could easily disarm you by an electromagnetic pulse. Of course they will have traditional mechanical weapons.

Where you should be worried about EMP's is if they push through biometrics on guns. They could get it to where they require all personally owned guns to have biometrics on them "for safety", when in fact, if you had a standoff with the "authorities" they could easily disarm you by an electromagnetic pulse. Of course they will have traditional mechanical weapons.

None of my firearms are biometrics ready and I don't see that changing any time soon [smile]

all my locks and safes are manual.

Same here except small pistol safe i'll just smash on the floor if I really need to get in.

and there's a reason for the manual locks, I use to design electronics to survive EMP and other Nuke events and it takes a lot to shield from the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxprep View Post

The reason why I only use manual locks. ALL electronics fail eventually. Most within 10 years due to the migration from Lead to Tin in solder

Yes tin whiskers was a small problem with tin/lead with higher tin alloys, but the removal of lead all together for RoHS compliance just makes junk. Your lucky if some items last a few years, non lead joints are weaker, more brittle and solder doesn't flow as well resulting in bad solder joints, so like my washing machine board failure occurred in a few years.

I'm more worried an EMP will render my phone useless and I won't be able to post on Facebook about it :(

watch out, emp can cause your mind to start to erode....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom