• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Isosceles or Weaver stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a conversation about shooting and time after time I make the point one size does not fit all. There is no misdirection and I have made my point with the video supplied by you guys and from then on its been about shooting. Not sure what you want but try more than one sentence to get it[laugh]
You won't be able to do iso in every single situation and you won't be able to do Weaver in every single situation - we all get that. But in most cases, iso > Weaver.

I don't call them civilians, they aren't a challenge, and no one in their right mind believes a hand is a benefit anymore. You are better off putting it on gun so you can actually shoot better.

Well ya... but that's not the way they used to teach. Jeff Cooper shot one handed until Weaver showed him how to shoot. Many of our cops shot one handed, Bill Jordan could put a ping pong ball on the back of his hand and draw his gun out so fast the ball would fall in the holster after the gun came out. Lots of good shooting was done with one hand, before lights mounted on the gun cops had to use one hand.

Edited to add the Miami shootout ended with one hand as the cop only had one undamaged hand to shoot with. If you are teaching there is only one way to shoot then in my opinion you are doing no service.

Last edited:
If you only have one hand it is, do you recall the Miami shootout? So how are you going to defend yourself if one arm is hit and you can't use ISO? [laugh] oh but there is only one way to shoot and ISO wins. You ever shoot bullseye competition?

- - - Updated - - -

They are shooting who ever they want[laugh][rofl]

Since we're just throwing random shit at the wall, allow me;

"You will not rise to the occasion, but rather default to your skill level." Or some similar Timmy bullshit.

Any competitor at a more that casual level has a skill set far above anyone they're likely to ever be in a gun fight with. They will be able to draw on target faster, make faster and more accurate target shots, transition between targets faster, reload faster, etc...

Sure, thugs in Chicago shoot each other. But if you check out Chicago thread those guys aren't exactly going one for one.

The fact that competition doesn't replicate a gunfight isn't a failing. It's reality. Most people wouldn't train if the mortality rate was close to 50%, and if it's not, well it's just a glorified game isn't it?

Competing well means practice. Practicing makes you a better shooter. Being a better shooter is always a good thing. And weaver sucks, deal with it. The fact that you were a mediocre shooter back in the day when a great shooter would be considered mediocre by today's standards doesn't give you a very tall soapbox to preach from.

If you are teaching there is only one way to shoot then in my opinion you are doing no service.

We're talking about two different two handed techniques. And if you're teaching someone the worse of the two for any reason than to say "don't do this" you're doing them a disservice.

Life is funny, back as a young man I applied for the Sherriffs reserve. In the interview they asked if I had any shooting experience and I told them my favorite was a 1911. There response is much like here, they only used revolvers because that is what works. It's a mindset with folkes that doesn't let them do different... Funny, they are all useing autos now and revolvers are obselete. Weaver may be seen as obselete but just like a revolver it still works.

Since we're just throwing random shit at the wall, allow me;

"You will not rise to the occasion, but rather default to your skill level." Or some similar Timmy bullshit.

Any competitor at a more that casual level has a skill set far above anyone they're likely to ever be in a gun fight with. They will be able to draw on target faster, make faster and more accurate target shots, transition between targets faster, reload faster, etc...

Sure, thugs in Chicago shoot each other. But if you check out Chicago thread those guys aren't exactly going one for one.

The fact that competition doesn't replicate a gunfight isn't a failing. It's reality. Most people wouldn't train if the mortality rate was close to 50%, and if it's not, well it's just a glorified game isn't it?

Competing well means practice. Practicing makes you a better shooter. Being a better shooter is always a good thing. And weaver sucks, deal with it. The fact that you were a mediocre shooter back in the day when a great shooter would be considered mediocre by today's standards doesn't give you a very tall soapbox to preach from.

We're talking about two different two handed techniques. And if you're teaching someone the worse of the two for any reason than to say "don't do this" you're doing them a disservice.

[laugh] I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself but for the reading impaired choose your own way, what ever works for you but don't let anyone tell you there is only one way because everyone is different. Geez..[thinking]

[laugh] I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself but for the reading impaired choose your own way, what ever works for you but don't let anyone tell you there is only one way because everyone is different. Geez..[thinking]

You have repeatedly insisted that Weaver is superior for recoil control, real shooting, etc... You didn't say "to each their own", you said "if he was shooting weaver he wouldn't have all those malfs".

So this is how your argument dies. With a whimper, not a bang. That maybe Weaver isn't better, but for some people maybe it's not worse. I guess we'll have to take your word for it...

You have repeatedly insisted that Weaver is superior for recoil control, real shooting, etc... You didn't say "to each their own", you said "if he was shooting weaver he wouldn't have all those malfs".

So this is how your argument dies. With a whimper, not a bang. That maybe Weaver isn't better, but for some people maybe it's not worse. I guess we'll have to take your word for it...

Once they proved iso didn't work for heavy recoil by the video then there was nothing left to be said. Argument was done pages ago but you must have missed it. However I don't mind that you rattle on with your view even though it's the same as rest of you guys. Conformity has never been my way in learning, experience is my best way of learning...[smile]

Last edited:
I have found the greatest living practitioner of the Weaver stance. Do you train with this guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Life is funny, back as a young man I applied for the Sherriffs reserve. In the interview they asked if I had any shooting experience and I told them my favorite was iso. There response is much like here, they only used Weaver because that is what works. It's a mindset with folkes that doesn't let them do different... Funny, they are all shooting iso now and Weaver is obselete.
FIFY

Once the proved iso didn't work for heavy recoil...
Uhh....

Weaver stance hilarity? I thought that was obvious.

So you want to prove your point by making fun of people which is only fair after someone posted that rediculous video of the fellow shooting big bore with iso...[laugh]

So you want to prove your point by making fun of people which is only fair after someone posted that rediculous video of the fellow shooting big bore with iso...[laugh]

He must not be part of that group that can extrapolate from ideas.

Really there was a number of ideas to extrapolate from his post so naturally I question what direction his idea was ment to go. No doubt it's meant to ridicule because if you can't win an argument then there are not many tactics left. Any video shooting a full house glock 29 10mm in iso, any videos of that to make me a believer. It's what I carry ccw so if you show me good control on it then you may convert me.[laugh]

Really there was a number of ideas to extrapolate from his post so naturally I question what direction his idea was ment to go. No doubt it's meant to ridicule because if you can't win an argument then there are not many tactics left. Any video shooting a full house glock 29 10mm in iso, any videos of that to make me a believer. It's what I carry ccw so if you show me good control on it then you may convert me.[laugh]

Bring it to Worcester. I'll make that thing my bitch.

Show me a one-armed pirate standing on his head on a chair, singing any Tom Petty song, while shooting a Mosin Nagant with his foot, and only then will I believe you that Weaver is any good.

Show me a one-armed pirate standing on his head on a chair, singing any Tom Petty song, while shooting a Mosin Nagant with his foot, and only then will I believe you that Weaver is any good.

I respect those guys that stand with there point and show not only skills in arguing their point but video to back it up. Don't care much for the drive by potshots that are trolled through the thread. I stand up for my view against all tag teams and do my best to talk my point, I don't argue to win I discuss my point. You guys may not agree but like politics we have our own view. Hold em and squeeze them as you want, it don't matter to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom